NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Broncos defiantely got more than i thought they would after all of this, even though they are stuck with Orton now, to get that QB in return helps.

Cutler and the Bears will be interesting to see how they go next season. Cutler obivously needs to do well.

fair dinkum! after everything wrong the Broncos have done and they have come up pretty rosy considering!

McDaniels would be smiling - he gets to come in, clear house and build the team he wants - even if he didn't get Cassel

Looking forward to the Cutler boo's this year.

As far as I'm concerned it all went wrong when they let Shanahan go.

Ecstatic with the deal we got on this one. Orton may not be a 'franchise' QB, but I doubt we'll go after a QB in the draft. Nicely placed in the middle of the first to pick up a pass rusher and a corner...

Happier with Orton over Quinn?

Already selling on the Bears website - $80

cutler.jpg

Broncos have a strong situation in the draft now. And should get plenty of airtime exposure and chatter during the broadcast, broncos this and broncos that.

Compare....

Detroit: #'s: 1, 20, 33, 65, 82, 174, 192, 255
Denver: #'s: 12, 18, 48, 79, 84, 114, 149, 185, 225, 235

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f9531b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

By all accounts, Cutler -- provided his Mile High soap-opera drama doesn't resurface in the Windy City -- should get along just fine with Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner.

Unlike McDaniels, Turner does not employ a passing game that often acts as a second running game. He is not asking his quarterback to take a controlled, methodical approach that frequently requires spreading the field and finding open receivers underneath the coverage.
What Turner does is what Cutler was used to in Denver: Pound the ball on the ground, force the defense to crowd the line, and then cut it loose with his throwing arm.

The Bears do have some issues with their pass protection. Their signing of veteran tackle Orlando Pace, who will go down as one of the game's best to play his position, will help. But Pace's age and inability to stay healthy are a concern. Giving up first- and third-round picks in this month's draft will limit the Bears' ability to help their offensive line.

However, Turner's run-first mentality should go a long way toward helping to protect Cutler. It has never been Turner's way to expose his quarterback to a ridiculous pounding by having him throw too often and including too many long-developing routes in his game plan.

Presuming that all works as planned, the Bears clearly can thrive this season when you consider their soft schedule and the fact they have, by far, the best quarterback in their division.

Happier with Orton over Quinn?

I'd prefer Quinn over Orton, but obviously the Browns couldn't put together the package the Bears could. Apparently Quinn was offered.

Would be very interesting to know exactly what the 'Skins and Browns put forward as they were apparently right in the mix. The Broncos must have done a good job playing each team off each other to get the best deal...

As a trade it favours the Mules but in reality both teams win. Jerry D'Angelo has never been a strong Orton supporter and now he has the strong armed QB he has been chasing. That was why he selected Grossman. Mules get extra picks and should come out of the draft either this year or next, with a decent rookie QB.

I am surprised the Yets never sold the farm for him. They really do need a QB.

Man I'd love to see Chicago give him a few reps when they go to Mile High in the preseason... I doubt he'll even be on the sideline though. :(

You seem really upset about this. I would have thought you'd have some empathy for teams with whiny flip-flopping QB's, managed by Bus Cook.

Quite a different situation.

Favre screwed himself over.

Cutler was screwed over by his coach/club.

I would even suspect that McDaniels planned on trying to get Cassel from Day 1, and he ****ed it up, lost the the quarterback he wanted, lost the quarterback he had, and is now stuck with Kyle Orton.

I give him one season, tops.

Quite a different situation.

Favre screwed himself over.

Cutler was screwed over by his coach/club.

I would even suspect that McDaniels planned on trying to get Cassel from Day 1, and he ****ed it up, lost the the quarterback he wanted, lost the quarterback he had, and is now stuck with Kyle Orton.

I give him one season, tops.

McDaniels certainly mismanaged the situation (well probably beyond mismanaged and completely screwed this up) but Cutler is to blame just as much as he McDaniels is.

Firstly, Cutler becomes mad and pouty that Shanahan was fired and the QB coach Jeremy Bates was not hired as HC. He goes to Bowlen, tells him he's not happy and asks to be traded. Then McDaniels enquires and probably has interest in acquiring Cassel, and he comes out and says its ridiculous, I can't believe they could trade me (now contradicting the way he acted when Bates was not hired). The Broncos then go out and say they like Cutler, he's their guy and they want to keep him. Cutler continues to pout, puts his house on sale, his parents house in the Denver area up for sale and says he wants out of Denver a second time. The Broncos and Cutler talk, and Cutler says its not going well, he doesn't like in Denver and wants to leave. In the last week, the owner sends like 10 messages and phone calls to Cutler and doesn't hear from Cutler, and hence puts him up on the trading block. Cutler then comes out and says he can't believe Denver wants to trade him and implying he never got any messages from Bowlen or the Denver heirarchy.

I think that Cutler is cry baby, and needs his ego to be propped up and McDaniels wasn't taking any of it. During the last few weeks, I have started to question Cutler's validity as a franchise QB simply because of all this off-field stuff (he is still an immensely talented QB on the field). I also believe that McDaniels could make good on any QB, we saw that last year with Cassel going from an almost out of work QB to basically a starting QB this year. McDaniels' system is short passing, almost west-coast style spread offense, and Cutler was not the perfect player for such a system. I compare Cutler to the maverick type QB, Brett Farve with the big arm comes to mind and I don't believe that was the "perfect" fit in Denver.

Both teams got some value from the trade; Chicago definitely got a lot better whereas Denver now owns 5 picks in the top 90. Will be interesting to see how this goes, looking forward to the season already.

Cutler never asked to be traded after Bates wasn't hired as the HC.

The Broncos didn't come out and he's their guy either, they told him no one is untradable while denying even having interest in trading for Cassel even though everyone knew they did.

They shot themselves in the foot and i'm not suprised Cutler wanted to and left. Nothing cry baby about it really. Just being screwed around by your HC. Considering how much time a QB spends with their HC it's not suprising he would view it as an unviable situation.

If you want to know how to handle the situation, look how Zorn looked after the situation after rumours of him being traded for Cutler surfaced.

Please let this soap opera end....

Report: Jay Cutler didn't want trade to Browns because of Mangini

Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun Times reports the Browns might have won the sweepstakes for Jay Cutler had his agent, Bus Cook, not also represented Brett Favre. The longtime Packers star didn't mesh last year with Jets coach Eric Mangini, who was fired and landed in Cleveland. Mangini reportedly was willing to give up Brady Quinn in a deal for Cutler. Quinn, who played for former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, might have been a good fit in McDaniels' system. But Cook made it clear when talks began that Cutler wanted no part of Mangini, and fears that he wouldn't report to the Browns shut down that deal.

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=890

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plot thickens...

Cutler, Ron Turner Have Rocky History

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 3, 2009, 12:47 p.m.
Newly-acquired Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is known for holding a grudge, and he still seems to be holding one against Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner stemming from an old recruiting dispute, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Citing people close to Cutler and a Denver Post column, some fences may need to be mended between Cutler and Turner now that they’re going to work together.
As a high school senior in southern Indiana, Cutler accepted a scholarship to Illinois where Turner was the head coach at the time. Cutler committed without visiting campus, though, and when he arrived for an official visit Turner reportedly pulled the offer.
“When Jay went for his official visit, the coach told him they were rescinding the offer because they had some hot-shot quarterback from California,” Heritage Hills athletic director Jay Burch told Denver Post columnist Woody Paige.
Illinois wound up signing Mike Dlugolecki, who wound up transferring to San Diego State. And Cutler had turned down offers from Purdue, Duke and Maryland to go to Illinois before winding up at Vanderbilt.
“It’s not right,” Jake Cutler, Cutler’s father, told ESPN.com. “I still have a bitter taste in my mouth.”
In the past, Turner has denied that Illinois rescinded the scholarship offer because Cutler was never made an offer.
Obviously, they’ll need to rehearse their lines a bit before the press conference today.

Word is also that the Broncos are still interested in Quinn (who they wanted). So could give the #18 to Cleveland for Quinn.

I'll eat my hat if that happens GG. Quinn was #22 pick himself... has been on the pine for most of the last two years... has done nothing to suggest he is a pro player yet. Not sure how he'd garner a #18 pick.

I wouldnt be surprised with the way Mangini has been going so far at Cleveland.

Me neither.
I know you hope this thread dies but its like just watching an accident and seeing what other carnage results.

ATM I actually think Quinn will end up at Denver possibly as a draft day trade maybe. Mangini has never actually come out and said anything about the QB situation and given either of them a vote of confidence.
If the broncos are as keen on him as everyone thinks then we're dealing from a position of strength.

The other thing to take into account with the Cutler trade is that the Broncos are now in a position where they can trade up if the opportunity arises on draft day. The traditional draft value chart is as follows;

1 3,000
2 2,600
3 2,200
4 1,800
5 1,700
6 1,600
7 1,500
8 1,400
9 1,350
10 1,300
11 1,250
12 1,200
13 1,150
14 1,100
15 1,050
16 1,000
17 950
18 900

which means the Broncos could parcel up picks 12 and 18 and move all the way to pick 4, maybe even pick 3. Given the New England influence at Kansas City now, I wouldn't be surprised if pick 3 is offered to the Broncos on draft day for theor two 1st round draft picks.

Interesting article from CHFF

Denver’s Shocking Statistical Soulmate
To comprehend the chaos in Denver here in the 2009 off-season, you need to wrap your fragile little mind around two sets of data about two very different teams.

Don’t worry, this will be fun … and incredibly enlightening.

Consider Team A. It averaged:

• 411.2 yards per game
  • 295.7 passing yards per game
  • 115.6 rushing yards per game
  • An inspiring 6.22 yards per offensive play over the course of an entire season.
Now Consider Team B. It averaged:

• 395.8 yards per game
  • 279.4 passing yards per game
  • 116.4 rushing yards per game
  • An inspiring 6.21 yards per offensive play over the course of an entire season.
Given the highly comparable offensive numbers – a slight but hardly significant edge to Team A in most categories – you’d assume that Team A was slightly more productive on offense than Team B, but not by much. After all, each snap by each team yielded nearly the same exact gain of 6.2 yards.

We’d make that same assumption, too.

But both of us would be wrong.

Team A is the 16-0 Patriots of 2007 – who scored an NFL-record 589 points (36.8 PPG), the second-highest per-game average in the entire history of the league (1950 Rams, 38.8 PPG).

Team B is the 8-8 Broncos of 2008 – who scored a paltry 370 points (23.1), barely ranking in the top half of the league last year (16th).

That’s right: the 2008 Broncos moved the ball up and down the field nearly as well as the offense many consider the greatest in the history of the game. On a per-play basis, the 2007 Patriots and 2008 Broncos were statistical equals.

But when it came to the two results that actually mattered – turning those yards into points and victories – the two teams could not have been more different. The 2007 Patriots boasted twice as many victories and outscored the 2008 Broncos by better than two touchdowns per game.

The 2008 Broncos, in other words, were an extraordinarily inefficient offense.

Right or wrong, quarterbacks always shoulder an undue amount of praise and blame for their team’s fortunes. So, naturally, the blame for Denver’s dysfunction fell on the shoulders of the quarterback – or at least it did in the eyes of the only person that matters: new head coach Josh McDaniels, a guy who had a front-row seat to New England's version of 6.2 yards per play as the team’s offensive coordinator.

A Very Bad Trend
Cutler was seen by most pigskin “pundits” as one of the bright young stars of the NFL – a player who seemed to prove his place in the NFL when he passed for a tremendous 4,526 yards last year.

It was easily the most prolific passing season in franchise history. Consider that John Elway himself surpassed the 4,000-yard mark just once – and just barely – with 4,030 yards in 1993.

So many observers were confused when McDaniels walked in and immediately made noise about acquiring another quarterback, touching off the flame war that ended in Cutler’s trade to Chicago on Thursday.

But McDaniels apparently knew what the Cold, Hard Football Facts have long told you: yards, and passing yards in particular, have virtually no correlation to success in the NFL.

Let us say that again to be very clear: Yards, and passing yards in particular, have virtually no correlation to success in the NFL.

And few teams in history epitomized the vast emptiness of yards as an indicator of success better than the Broncos under Cutler.

In fact, his ascent to the role of starting QB was marked by rapid descent in Denver’s offensive efficiency and, therefore, in Denver’s success as a team.

• The 2008 Broncos needed to produce a daunting 17.12 yards of offense for every point it scored in 2008 – 28th in the NFL as measured by the Cold, Hard Football Facts Scoreability Index, our measure of offensive efficiency. They went 8-8.
  • The 2007 Broncos were even worse: they needed to produce 17.32 yards of offense for every point it scored – 25th in the NFL as measured by our Scoreability Index. They went 7-9.
To find the last time that Broncos boasted an efficient offense – an offense that effectively squeezed points out of its yards – you have to go back to the 2005 Broncos under Jake Plummer.

The 2005 Broncos ranked 9th on our Scoreability Index, scoring a point for every 14.6 yards of offense. Not so coincidentally, the 2005 Broncos went 13-3 and were one game away from reaching the Super Bowl.

But for some reason that seems inexplicable in retrospect, the offensive efficiency and the 13-3 season weren't good enough for Denver fans or for the organization. In fact, Plummer, the quarterback behind that fairly efficient 2005 Broncos offense, was pigskin persona-non-grata in Denver. From fans to management, it seems nobody liked Plummer.

So, in the wake of their 13-3 season, the Broncos devoted their top pick in the 2006 draft to Jay Cutler, the proverbial quarterback of the future.

He threw pretty passes and put up big individual numbers. His 87.1 career passer rating, for example, easily exceed's Elway's 79.9 career passer rating.

But the Broncos under Cutler could not put the ball in the end zone. Denver clearly had serious defensive issues that made it harder for the offense to score points (last year's Broncos ranked 30th, surrendering 28.0 PPG). But it doesn't change the fact that, in two seasons with Cutler the clear-cut No. 1 quarterback, Denver's offensive efficiency crashed faster and more sharply than the Icelandic stock market.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts saw the problems with Denver through our Scoreability Index, even as most of the pigskin “pundits” gawked at Cutler's gaudy yardage total.

McDaniels apparently saw the same problems we did, too. After all, he learned what 6.2 yards per play looked like when he guided the Patriots to a record 589 points in 2007. And he must have been shocked when we watched film of Cutler and the Denver offense and its version of 6.2 yards per play last season.

He apparently knew big changes were in order. Cutler took the bait, making it clear he was not happy in Denver.

So McDaniels and the Broncos flipped an pouting, inefficient quarterback for Kyle Orton, who’s won 21 of his 32 NFL starts with the Bears, and a stunning two first-round draft picks.

It's a great deal for a team that desperately needed a statistical stimulus plan.
Of course CHFF like changing which stats are important to prove their point :p

I'm not surprised you managed to direct your post at the Jets though, obsessed. :thumbsu:

Surprised the Bears got him so quickly. Very interested to see how the Broncos go in the draft now.

Hey I said I thought the Yets would end up with Cutler. I was wrong! I do admit to be obsessed just a tad because I really do loathe them.

Broncos normally draft quite well. Unlike the bloody Phins!

Thanks Wanny!

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back