wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Well, at least according to the footy "experts" from The Age, who have rated them (or to be precise, not rated them) in today's paper.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/10/1047144924446.html

Particularly notable is the section down the bottom where the Age footy experts predict where they'll finish:

ROHAN CONNOLLY 14
ROBERT WALLS 15
TIM WATSON 16
CAROLINE WILSON 15
DERMOTT BRERETON 16

Connolly's picking them so low is a surprise, considering he heaps some significant praise on them in the article. And I guess Watson's opinion must be respected as he is an expert at guiding a side to the bottom of the ladder. As for Caro, somehow I sense that Roos supporters don't particularly respect her....

Originally posted by MSB ROYS
What about Carlton?

I beleive Carlton have a team that can finsh at the top of their powers injury free 10th but I reckon they will finisharound you's guys.....12-15th. St.Kilda will finish stone motherless

The Kangas are a great side. They play with passion and play every game as if it is their last. It is the culture of survival and more importantly, Success.
They will not finish last.

I would respect the views of five randomly-selected bigfooty posters ahead of this panel. Wagstaff has started beautifully, let's not forget that Robert Walls was a hack player, hack coach and hack commentator - and I'm only surprised Dermie didn't find a way to work an anecdote about himself into his rating.

I'd agree that we are vulnerable if any of our core group of experienced players go down for any length of time, but would be looking forward to somewhere around 10-12th if things go ok - and if things go better than ok, maybe to scrape into 8-9th. Lots of young legs will probably run out of steam, and with Laidley's new game plan it will take time until the team has the skills to make it work properly week after week.

Still, at least we have a real coach so add that to good playing list and lots of heart, and I'd be surprised and disappointed to finish last. If I was pushed I'd hope to finish ahead of Carlton, St Kilda, Bulldogs and Sydney.

If the Kangaroos finish last, that would only be an indication of the strength of the league as a whole. They're a good side, and nothing from their pre-season this year does anything to dispute their finals finish last year.

I expect them to start the season strongly. There's a lot of confidence there, and the game plan seems to suit them. The x-factor of course is the departure of Pagan and the coaching of Laidley. Early season freshness could dissipate as the season goes on, but I really couldn't see them getting less than say 8 wins, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them snag 11 or 12 and scrape into the finals.

Carlton, Richmond or St Kilda will finish last, not because these teams are particularly bad (the competition does seem to be evening up this year) but because these teams seem to be cursed at the the moment. When things go wrong - things seem to go wrong in a really horrible way

Bulldogs also have a chance of finishing down the list for the same reason that North might (rookie coach etc etc) but I still rate their team and their passion.

Sydney also have a chance because they have lossed so many quality players last year but a couple of kids look like they will take the next step and they have a good home field advantage

I would also say that all 5 of those teams could make the final 8 (though carlton would be more of an outside chance).

Its just bloody ridiculous.

7th last year. Seem to do better out of trading than worse - basically get Wells for nothing because Carey didn't play last year.

Semi finalists in the Wizard cup and lose by under a goal to a top 4 interstate team at home.

While I admit Essendon didn't really try we did belt them and both Melbourne and Adelaide came to play.

What the Hell does North have to do to get a bit of respect ?

2 reasons North are predicted to have a poor year this year.

Key positions look poor in comparison to every club bar maybe Carlton and Doggies, though those teams have a couple of standouts each. Hale, Morrell, Petrie will need solid seasons but their are very few young KPP who can carry their team for 22 rounds.

Secondly despite the array of young talent they have amassed without the luxury of early picks last years b&f went like this

2002 BEST AND FAIREST

TOP TEN
1 Adam Simpson 27
2 Glenn Archer 30
3 Anthony Stevens 31
4 Troy Makepeace 24
5 Brent Harvey 24
6 Leigh Colbert 27
7 Ben Robbins 26
8 Matthew Burton 32
9 David King 31
10 Jess Sinclair 24

These are the guys who took North in to the 8 last year and there is not a whole lot of improvement left there.

Originally posted by Ausgard
Sydney also have a chance because they have lossed so many quality players last year but a couple of kids look like they will take the next step and they have a good home field advantage

Thats such a Myth. Kelly, Lockett, Schwass did bugger all in 2002, not much in 2001, so they wont be missed much at all. They were all old men who stayed on a season too long by the end. Dunkley is the only major loss as we dont have a ready made replacement. And even he was past it.
Sydney will improve, simply on the mathematical probability that they wont loose as many close games.

North on the other hand are in deep do dos. a 16th prediction flatters them. Will they remain solvent after a year or two at the bottom?

The Kangaroos being touted as the worst in the AFL. I think that the Kangaroos have already proven the AFL wrong.

That statement is wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose to Port Adelaide.

Those luminaries predicted Adelaide would finish 14th last year, yet by week three that doyen Walls had back flipped so hard he must have suffered from whiplash.

In the game on the weekend I thought the Roos played great football with amazing whole team desire to win. We were flat but we definitely came to play.

To my mind the proud culture and never give up attitude of the Kangaroos will be enough to keep them off the bottom. They will start the season full of running and surprise many. Cannot see them 16th IMO.

I know where you're coming from. At the start of the 1995 season just about everyone wrote us off, too old too slow can't handle pressure blah blah.

The comp is so even, injuries are virtually dictating whether teams have good years or not.

I don't think the Kangas will finish last.

They seem to be adapting well to the Malthouse-inspired high posession, hard running game plan.

I do think that they have a pretty weak spine, but given that they are not relying so much on marking options up forward, they might get around this.

Their defence will benefit from Laidley's experience.

The Roos are probably the hardest team to predict a finishing spot for, but I fail to see how they will be worse than Richmond or Carlton.

Originally posted by Falchoon
Key positions look poor in comparison to every club bar maybe Carlton and Doggies, though those teams have a couple of standouts each. Hale, Morrell, Petrie will need solid seasons but their are very few young KPP who can carry their team for 22 rounds.
Yep, this is the main reason we'll struggle (16th position or not). Morrell can't hold down a key position IMO, and Hale isn't anywhere near ready to do so. Petrie can play CHF, but will need Rocca performing well at FF, and for Burton and Porter to remain injury free in the ruck. If not, Petrie will be required there. Either way, Petrie is still young and learning.

Brown will be rotated through the forward line, and the back line, but is better suited up back I believe. Fingers crossed for McCartney to come back strongly, and regain his 200/01 form at CHB. Watt to learn and improve at FB over the course of the year. Brown, Baird and Colbert to hold down CHB, depending on the opponent. So, there are some young guys learning the ropes but not the stable, senior KPPs.

I wouldn't take much notice of the Roos pre-season form. Some teams take it much harder than others. The Roos have gone in pretty hard.

Look at Richmond last year. Wizard Cup Grand Finalists, and then bottom 4.
(that is correct isnt it?)

The Pre-season doesn't really tell anything about a team.

North won't finish last. They have a few duds to get rid of but it takes time to build a list. A midfield led by Stevens, Grant (is he serious this year?) and Harvey and fed by Burton/Porter will get their share of ball. Harding looks a player (kicking query) and players like King and Archer will give some solidity. Also on the plus side - they finally dumped Martyn.

KPP players are absolute rubbish at senior level right now but there is some talent to work on. I don't expect any stars to emerge from the potential KPP's though. The Motlops and Wells will do some good and some freaky things at times and I'm sure the coach has learnt by observation if nothing else. He has seen Pagan and Malthouse with different styles and he has seen MM blood youngster after youngster with a senior list very bare after the top couple.

North will finish above Swans and Carlton and Richmond are no certainty to do any better than last year. If Freo don't win most home games they will struggle to finish above North too. For some reason people think Freo are a good team despite never looking like winning anything. They will not beat Port this year though. That little run will end. I can't wait for the game against the Crows if Carey plays. That's the only non Collingwood game I am really looking forward to.

The Kangas will be up there this year. They always have this knack of bouncing back at times like this. That's why I think that they will be up there in the final 8

Originally posted by wagstaff
Well, at least according to the footy "experts" from The Age, who have rated them (or to be precise, not rated them) in today's paper.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/10/1047144924446.html

Particularly notable is the section down the bottom where the Age footy experts predict where they'll finish:

ROHAN CONNOLLY 14
ROBERT WALLS 15
TIM WATSON 16
CAROLINE WILSON 15
DERMOTT BRERETON 16

Connolly's picking them so low is a surprise, considering he heaps some significant praise on them in the article. And I guess Watson's opinion must be respected as he is an expert at guiding a side to the bottom of the ladder. As for Caro, somehow I sense that Roos supporters don't particularly respect her....

Question has to be asked, when was this done, pre - the preseason cup, of just after the ROO's loss? .. - Me think it was done at the beginning of the year... Roo had a good pre-season; their game plan (What I have seen on TV) looks good. - JUNK YARD DOG will be good to the ROO...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Kangaroos are rated the worst side in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back