Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For my equity revision I typed out the nutshell book that the lecturer had written himself.

It sounds like simple enough concepts and almost logical, but I don't know too many that did very well.

Any equity lawyers who want to help me out with a problem question for uni? ;)

There's a textbook out there written by Justice Gummow on equity law. It's always been my first port of call. Maybe take a look and see whether it can shed any light. I'm sure you know this but once you've figured out the seminal case, do a Lexisnexis mark up and see what other relevant cases show up (that is, assuming this is a research question - otherwise just follow the textbook).

Last edited:

During exam period in law school, I remember one of the tutors (who doubled as a big firm lawyer) mentioned to us: "Remember this feeling, because it is what you will feel everyday for the rest of your working career." Reckon there's probably some truth to that during the first few years!

Gawd, more than the first few years.

After a decade I still feel like there's a weight on my shoulders every time I'm coming up to a trial.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source (book, case law, site or otherwise) on the difference between public capacity vs. private capacity (i.e., operating in the public vs. operating in the private)?

I'm tired of playing the waiting game

just-waiting-for-a-mate.jpg

anyone want to expand on their experiences with legal recruiters?

Most of them just act as a middleman and don't seem to add any value. If you find the right one, they'll understand the local market well and give you good advice (as opposed to saying what you want to hear). Some, on the other hand, are plain dodgy and will use your CV to pad applications and even without your permission.

Try to find someone who is experienced and has a good track record in the location you're looking to move to. Linkedin can be a good first port of call. But also chat to other lawyers who've made similar moves and get their advice. Especially if you're looking to move to a US firm overseas as pay can be heavily negotiated (in terms of notional PQE and COLA).

Other general advice is to always tell the recruiter that your CV may only be sent to a firm once they obtain your express permission. Also keep in mind that their client is the recruiting firm, so be careful with how much you divulge to them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys I have recently been in trouble with the law I was wondering if somebody could PM me and give me some advice and what my penalty would more then likely be please

there is a recent post on our board in the magpies nest, if you wanna have a quick read of my last post in the thread 'I need help'

i'm not a criminal lawyer.

first things you need to do:

- go to see your GP and explain your situation. ask to do the tests for depression/anxiety etc. get a mental health plan, go to see the psychologist they refer to you. get documentary evidence of all of this.
- go to gambler's help - get documentary evidence of going there.
- work on coherently explaining what happened without making excuses or shirking responsibility for it, emphasise the changes you have made since the incident.
- begin contacting people and asking for character references. doesn't matter how tenuously you know the person, the worst thing they can say is no, which is hard for most people when put on the spot.
- contact legal aid/borrow money to hire a solicitor.
- if you can't - make sure you arrive early and see the duty solicitor prior to your matter being called on.

good luck.

i'm not a criminal lawyer.

first things you need to do:

- go to see your GP and explain your situation. ask to do the tests for depression/anxiety etc. get a mental health plan, go to see the psychologist they refer to you. get documentary evidence of all of this.
- go to gambler's help - get documentary evidence of going there.
- work on coherently explaining what happened without making excuses or shirking responsibility for it, emphasise the changes you have made since the incident.
- begin contacting people and asking for character references. doesn't matter how tenuously you know the person, the worst thing they can say is no, which is hard for most people when put on the spot.
- contact legal aid/borrow money to hire a solicitor.
- if you can't - make sure you arrive early and see the duty solicitor prior to your matter being called on.

good luck.

based on what you have read just then what would you think the outcome could possibly be? a lot of people have said there is 0 percent of jail time but I am still edgy I will get onto those things

i have no idea - my gut feeling is it's unlikely but again never worked in the area.

providing you show you've sought help, have character witnesses and are working i'd be surprised if there was a custodial sentence.

i'd be trying to avoid a conviction as well.

i have no idea - my gut feeling is it's unlikely but again never worked in the area.

providing you show you've sought help, have character witnesses and are working i'd be surprised if there was a custodial sentence.

i'd be trying to avoid a conviction as well.
I have just been offered a diversion as of half an hour ago, will happily accept I think

Hey guys so as a fellow law student but only fairly early in, I need your help and your advice.

Long story short, I've been talking to a girl online and there's something romantic going on (this is irrelevant to this, I understand) and she's been telling me about her ex being abusive and assaulting her with the most recent being just this evening. I told her she needs to go to the police. Thats urgent. She said she knows that but she doesn't think there's a chance of her being successful. Her ex' mother is high up in the local police force and she will pull strings for him, so thats what she's worried about. I told her it doesn't matter, she still has a responsibility to uphold the law but she's still not keen.

Now my question to you is what are her obligations or responsibilities ie legislation wise to uphold the law? It's NSW jurisdiction.

At the moment I am just in no state to check the law in regards to this, I am deeply worried for her, especially as it is a REPEATED offence apparently. I've been calling her and texting repeatedly this evening and will continue doing so for quite a while so I just don't have the time.

Thanks guys! Any advice would be appreciated.

So graduated in November and still not even a sniff of a full time job :(

Applying for everything and anything that i can possibly think of to use my law degree in some way but the absolute silence, not even rejection letters/emails, is crushing.

Does it really make such a large difference between being a Graduate and being Admitted?

Does it really make such a large difference between being a Graduate and being Admitted?

It does make a difference, but you could go to Leo's for that.
I think it's more important to have decent experience to stand out.
Of course, that's not a comforting thought when nobody is currently willing to offer you said experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back