The little things eliminated from footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
...without getting any real media attention or coverage as to alert the public.

When did it become a definite no-no for the public to enter the ground for a kick post match at the MCG after the second siren (remember that?)?

When did they stop showing the scores of the little league on the scoreboard? :eek: Hardly a pressing issue, but the two main teams never get accredited with a score any more.

Additionally, when was the admittance of those in possession of the torn up phone books outlawed?

Around the Grounds:

A 76 B 85
C 39 D 52

I miss having to look through the record to find out who the hell A and B were.

Geez you must be "old":p that was back when they had only games on a Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to love this! Filled in my footy record with the scores every week!
It was slightly embarrasing if you were at a neutral game and your team was getting pantsed elsewhere.

"Who the hell are F? They're shit, they're getting smashed"
"F are Essendon"
"Oh..."

There has been a clear change in two things - the umpires waiting ages to call a ball up and letting the players scuffle for too long like a rugby scrimmage, and the amount of time given to dispose of the ball after a mark or free kick. Even since last year. You get literally 5 seconds to get rid of it now. They're trying for this fast-paced game, but it's creating errors and a moving pack of players.

Around the Grounds:

A 76 B 85
C 39 D 52

I miss having to look through the record to find out who the hell A and B were.

Back in the day you had 3, 4 or 5 games on at the same time. Back when nobody wanted to play Friday night football against us. :p

When the cheersquad used to walk around the boundary at halftime with a blanket stretched out between 4 of them so that supporters could throw money in. There'd be 1c,2c,10c,20c and 50c pieces flying everywhere (fortunately with no sharpened edges as happens elsewhere) along with the odd half eaten 4 'n' 20 or half drunk can of VB. lol

I used to be able to sneak into the rooms before the game and watch the team warm up.

I remember jumping the fence at Kardinia just as the final siren went, Kelvin Matthews kicked the ball and it hit me in the head, it stunned me for a second or two during which a dirty Carlton supporter swooped over the fence and grabbed the ball and took off before I could get my hands on it.

The little league playing one game at halftime using the whole ground.

Players would get pissed at the pubs/discos after the games and people wouldn't be hassling them or taking pictures with phone cameras looking to make a quick buck off the media.

When mature aged players were recruited from the bush or interstate and they'd already have a missus and she'd be ugly. No matter how ugly a footballers is these days they generally have hot gfs or wives.

When you used to watch the Brownlow telecast and half the players would be smoking.

When there were U/19s and reserves giving the team a more local connection.

When the McLelland Trophy meant something as it included the U/19 and reserve results in the total.

When you got change from a pineapple for a coke and superdog.

When supporters would stand in the outer at Kardinia Park and they'd use 6 packs of cans as stilts. Geelong would kick a goal and as they all jumped up and down teenagers would be under them pinching their cans.

When Geelong played Collingwood @ Kardinia in the 70s and there was over 40k there.

As an 8 year old rocking up to the ground at 8am with blankets and sleeping bags to spread out over the seats to save them for when the rest of my family showed up. (there were only 3 rows of seats around the ground in those days)

Sliding down the hill on an empty pie box behind the city end goals.

Going into those stinking bloody dunnies that were over 100 years old.

When the major money spinning raffle had the first prize as a 34cm colour tv with remote.

Remove this Banner Ad

The little things eliminated from footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back