The Lord of the Flags: Return of the King (Carey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangatango

Debutant
Aug 30, 2016
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First thread so I'm not sure if it belongs elsewhere. I did a quick BF search and from what I could tell this hadn't been brought up for some years.

I understand that this post may be extremely controversial but we're at a point as a club in which we should really be exploring every possible avenue. So if you could, just suspend judgement for 2 minutes and hear me out:

Firstly, I know what you're thinking and I absolutely agree - this is a guy with a dark past. But it's obvious to tell from his presence in the media that he's been making a real effort to put his past behind him. I for one love hearing him commentate and he even defends the Kangas every now and then (such as when Germ Brereton was getting stuck into Lindsey) It's pretty clear to see that's he's matured significantly and has even said in the past years that he would be open to taking on more mentoring roles amongst the AFL.

I'm bringing this up because of a lot of the posts on the Bye Bye Brad thread which seem to suggest a lot of doubt for the abilities of BS and our coaching staff (this is not to disparage him as a person, he's been loyal to the club and players and I for one will be forever grateful) However I can't deny the prospect of Carey returning to NM in a coaching/developmental position does excite me. Having been one of North's most notable players in history, imagine the influence he could have on our players and the knowledge he could bestow. This is a man that can command respect, especially being able to draw on how Pagan led our blue boys to the elusive flag once upon a time.

There could be a real sense of solidarity if Carey was to return to North in such a position. I cannot imagine anything more exciting than the season after The King returns to NMFC to mentor guys like Wood... imagine the fire he could put into the bellies of our boys. Obviously just because he was once an amazing player doesn't mean he would ever make an amazing coach, but he COULD. You can't deny that the man is one hell of a leader, he's The King after all.

What do you guys think?

I do agree, however I doubt he will go down the full time coaching avenue with Anthony Stevens doing work with the club currently, despite them burying the hatchet, there appears to be still a lot of tension and issues there.

Last edited:

True, and it was even tense between himself and Boomer (apparently Boomer had some serious swipes at Carey in his book) but it's clear he's been making efforts, and has appologized to Stevens about a million times. It would really speak multitudes about the comradery at North if they were willing to leave it in the past where it belongs. But as you said, it's a long shot

Can't see it any time soon. He's probably making more money in the media with a lot less stress.
Chuck a quick google about Carey potentially coaching, he's said a few times that he'd be open to the responsibility. Was even that talk earlier in the season that he was offering some support too Melbourne's Hogan, I reckon he wants to get involved. That said, he might have his hopes that one day he gets to coach North... He could never make the first move, it'd be the clubs decision to forgive then approach him first.

It's probably a little more likely now given Boomer and Petrie (who were Carey's former teammates) are leaving at seasons end, so that means the playing list has now 100% moved on from that era.

Carey can't work at North while Stevo is there. In addition, while I'm confident he has a lot of value to add as a coach, I do not believe his behavioural issues are behind him and so am not confident he would set an appropriate example off field to the players.

Totally agree would love to have him back, but don't think Brad is a big fan of his, so bye bye Brad. I also think we would smash 50k members having him back there even as an assistant coach.

Carey can't work at North while Stevo is there. In addition, while I'm confident he has a lot of value to add as a coach, I do not believe his behavioural issues are behind him and so am not confident he would set an appropriate example off field to the players.
Oh? Some rumours going around or?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Damn that big meanie Scotts.

Speaking of the King, has anyone else seen the North finals video the AFL have released? Voice over by none other than the great man, who refers to the team as 'ours'. Nice to see him being more involved with the club, even if it is purely from a media perspective.

Yeah i think Wayne is happy with his media commitments and happy to help out players like Hogan, Wood or whoever asks him and that's it.
He looks happy with his lot atm and if he really wanted to go down the coaching/assistant path he probably would have already done so..

What do you guys think?

Carey is a footballing wiz. i really enjoyed seeing him run around the in Legends game at the weekend.

But as Captain of the North Melbourne football club, he slept with his team-mate's wife.

He is forever ineligible to come back to the club in any leadership or mentoring capacity. It's not that we haven't forgiven, it's just that there are some roles for which his behaviour disqualifies him.

Sad for him, sad for the club.

I do agree, however I doubt he will go down the full time coaching avenue with Anthony Stevens doing work with the club currently, despite them burying the hatchet, there's still a lot of tension and issues there.
"Tension and issues".

That's pure guess work that you're trying to pass off as a fact.

"Tension and issues".

That's pure guess work that you're trying to pass off as a fact.
Settle down uber, a simple I disagree would have sufficed.

It is more so an educated guess based on the comments made in boomer's book and the club and Wayne not exactly being warm to each other. Wayne maybe forgiven by Anthony, but this is a bloke that betrayed him with Kelli, that shit is hard to forget no matter who it is in the situation.

I don't know them personally or the inner details, but all I can do is give an educated guess based on linked facts and events and connecting that to typical human behaviour.

Last edited:
Settle down uber, a simple I disagree would have suffice.

It is more so an educated guess based on the comments made in boomer's book and the club and Wayne not exactly being warm to each other. Wayne maybe forgiven by Anthony, but this is a bloke that betrayed him with Kelli, that shit is hard to forget no matter who it is in the situation.

I don't know them personally or the inner details, but all I can do is give an educated guess based on linked facts and events and connecting that to typical human behaviour.
Absolutely agreed mate, and insecurity would be hardwired into your system after something like that happening. It's just a true tragedy that it can't be put in the past. To have Carey at North Melbourne just feels natural... If that makes sense without sounding like a hippy

Absolutely agreed mate, and insecurity would be hardwired into your system after something like that happening. It's just a true tragedy that it can't be put in the past. To have Carey at North Melbourne just feels natural... If that makes sense without sounding like a hippy
I honestly believe that he'll be back at north within the next 2-3 years based purely on hope. I would love him at north in any coaching capacity next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lord of the Flags: Return of the King (Carey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back