Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Would definitely prefer a curry and rice or German sausage, or Japanese food, but no-one's going to produce that in the quantities and time to cope with a decent Gabba crowd. I bet if such vendors were allowed in, they'd sell out before quarter time and the lines would mean missing that first quarter.

They manage it in India, Germany and Japan with crowds much bigger than ours though! :)

Would definitely prefer a curry and rice or German sausage, or Japanese food, but no-one's going to produce that in the quantities and time to cope with a decent Gabba crowd. I bet if such vendors were allowed in, they'd sell out before quarter time and the lines would mean missing that first quarter.

They do pretty good food at Manuka, actually. Gozleme, kebabs, smoked BBQ. They seem to do good business.

Only having three games a year probably means it's not worth negotiating exclusive catering contracts.

Only having three games a year probably means it's not worth negotiating exclusive catering contracts.

That's the real kicker. The Stadiums QLD/O'Briens monopoly thing is absolute crap.

Ooh, smoked BBQ is missing from Spotless. :(

Long queues at quarter time on Saturday, next to an empty bar. I decided to have beer for dinner.

No kidding though, Manuka is a great place to watch footy. It's just a shame the weather in this town is so terrible for 80% of footy season.

Long queues at quarter time on Saturday, next to an empty bar. I decided to have beer for dinner.

No kidding though, Manuka is a great place to watch footy. It's just a shame the weather in this town is so terrible for 80% of footy season.

If you ever make it up to Spotless, I can heartily recommend the gourmet hot dogs. The fish and chips, Thai, gourmet pies, gozleme, etc are all pretty good too. The Subway is just Subway. Jam donuts just inside the front gate.

If you ever make it up to Spotless, I can heartily recommend the gourmet hot dogs. The fish and chips, Thai, gourmet pies, gozleme, etc are all pretty good too. The Subway is just Subway. Jam donuts just inside the front gate.
You're winning me over for making a road trip there.

The money you save on sauce/chips/burgers would easily cover the fuel costs.

Yeah, sauce is free. :p Chips are $5. IIRC drinks prices are $4.50 for light, $5.50 for mid and I can't remember how much spirits are ($8?).

Once more: half time, no pies, hotdogs "5 minutes away".

Must have been the enormous crowd- all 16k of us.

Sick of complaining as it has zero effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At qrt time on the weekend hadn't had lunch so had to settle for chicken and chips. Left on the siren and was within the first 10 people there. They had no food cooked whatsoever. Had to wait 7 minutes to get something. Were plenty of people waiting. Was a joke.

I go out of my way to avoid eating at the ground now. Price aside the quality of the slop they serve is just a joke. How hard is it to make a nice hot dog? One that's not dry and stale by half time? Seems like it's beyond the ask for these masterchef contenders.

Reckon I'll just start bringing a thermos now too.

I go out of my way to avoid eating at the ground now. Price aside the quality of the slop they serve is just a joke. How hard is it to make a nice hot dog? One that's not dry and stale by half time? Seems like it's beyond the ask for these masterchef contenders.

Reckon I'll just start bringing a thermos now too.
One lady last week had hot dog franks in her thermos, soaking to keep them hot and moist.

Edit:Great idea, I've been looking for a thermos big enough to hold a kilo nof cheerios.:p

My mates bring a family size portion of hot dogs to day games when they bring the kids, dogs, buns and sauce. There was almost a budget crisis the other day when their son went down for chips and nearly bought his own sauce.

They usually have enough to feed their tubby friend as well. :)

I've done the thermos of hotdogs a few times at works a treat and saves you a heap of money. Problem is I'm usually too lazy to organise it before the game and carry it in.

Really though its not hard to smuggle in food or drinks at any stadium I've been too in Australia. At one point a couple of years ago we realised that prams weren't checked at all going into NRL games and you could fit at least a slab in there

I've done the thermos of hotdogs a few times at works a treat and saves you a heap of money. Problem is I'm usually too lazy to organise it before the game and carry it in.

Really though its not hard to smuggle in food or drinks at any stadium I've been too in Australia. At one point a couple of years ago we realised that prams weren't checked at all going into NRL games and you could fit at least a slab in there

NRL games are a different universe. The last Broncos game I went to last year I enjoyed a bunch of blokes scream "Show us your c*$t" to the cheer girls at least 15 or so times.... and yes there were kids around.

NRL games are a different universe. The last Broncos game I went to last year I enjoyed a bunch of blokes scream "Show us your c*$t" to the cheer girls at least 15 or so times.... and yes there were kids around.
Haven't been to one in QLD yet, but the changes that happened when the storm moved from Olympic Park to AAMI were significant. The old standing area of the Marcus Bai stand could get pretty wild even with kids every where. Funnily enough I never saw a fight there. AFL/A-League/cricket seen quite a few. Not sure what that says though

Shall wait to pass judgement but it does look a bit cheesy. Very NFLish and possibly with the addition of smoke and flame it might pass. I just don't like the move away from some traditions like the Banner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back