The meandering thematic weirdo muzak thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Sandford's Wake at the Espy with Nichaud Fitzgibbon’s YOYO circa 1989 (rough recording). Vale.

Matt Sandford was a very close friend of mine who died in 1989 due to a heroin overdose. At a time there was very strong (pure) heroin circulating in St Kilda. His girlfriend Tracy died with him at the same time doing the same thing. Some theories went that when certain customers began to attract law enforcement attention - their dealers would give them the “good stuff” to say “Sayonara”.

He was an absolutely fantastic guitarist and played in lots of bands including Bwana, Soul Source, Nichaud Fitzgibbon's Yo-Yo, Wilbur Wilde’s Blowout, Pricilla’s Nightmare, MIA Orchestra and many, many more in Melbs in the 80’s.

Solos - in order - Paul Williamson (tenor sax), Ian Dixon (trumpet), Steve Hewart (trombone), Greg Rosser (tenor sax), Rob Bourke (tenor sax), David Williamson (tenor sax) and Ian Chaplin (also sax) and Kincho (congas).

Last edited:
“All The Things You Are” x 5 - the second classic jazz standard by Jerome Kern to feature here …..

First up is Ella again:

Art making art:

Bird:

A Bill Evans redesign, who Miles used to call on the telephone and ask him to put the handset down on the piano and
play so Miles could listen to him for hours - over the phone, in the late 50’s:

Again - a short black coffee and strap yourself in …….

Personnel: Lee Morgan - Trumpet, Johnny Griffin, Hank Mobley, John Coltrane - Tenor Saxophones,
Wynton Kelly - Piano, Paul Chambers - Bass and Art Blakey - Drums:

Last edited:

Music to listen to when you've had more than enough …..

#1a - Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight.

It has been used in too many I know, too many Hollywood films and yet still stands on it’s own as a powerful, solemn
journey for those who wish to take it. If this doesn’t move you, you are no longer alive.

#1b - Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight - Orchestral Version (2016).

#1c - Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight (Entropy).

#1d - Max Richter - This Bitter Earth / On the Nature of Daylight (voice - Dinah Washington).

“and if my life, is like the dust, that hides the glow of a rose, them what good am I ? Heaven only knows."

#1e - Max Richter - Written on the Sky.

#1f - Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks (voice - Tilda Swinton)

#2a - L'Orchestre national de France joue sous la direction de Dalia Stasevska la Pavane pour une infante défunte composée en 1899 par Maurice Ravel. J'adore la chef d'orchestre.

#2b - Pavane pour une infante défunte de Maurice Ravel interprétée par James Rhodes.

#2c - Pavane pour une infante défunte de Maurice Ravel jouée par Maurice Ravel lui-même via un rouleau de piano.

A suivre.

Last edited:
Music of the Ancients

呂氏春秋 (Lü shi Chun qiu) [The Annals of Lü Buwei]

古樂 (Gu Yue) [Music of the Ancients]

昔黃帝令伶倫作為律 。伶倫自大夏之西, 乃之阮隃之陰, 取 竹於嶰谿之谷, 以生空竅厚鈞者 、斷兩節間 、其長三寸九分而吹 之, 以為黃鐘之宮, 吹曰:「舍少」 。次制十二筒, 以之阮隃之 下, 聽鳳皇之鳴, 以別十二律 。其雄鳴為六, 雌鳴亦六, 以比 黃鐘之宮, 適合 。黃鐘之宮, 皆可以生之, 故曰黃鐘之宮,律呂 之本 。

In the past, the Yellow Sovereign commanded Ling Lun to create pitch-standards. Ling Lun, having passed through the western regions of Daxia, then went to the shady northern slopes of the Kunlun Mountains. He selected bamboo from the valley of Xiexi which had hollows and walls of uniform thickness. Cutting it between two nodes to a length of 3.9 inches, he blew on it and fixed its sound as the note gong for the Yellow Bell pitch-standard. The sound it made was styag-rhyag. He then made the twelve bamboo rules, one after the other. Carrying these to the foot of the Kunlun Mountains he heard the calls of the male and female phoenixes, which he used to divide the twelve pitch standards; six corresponding to the calls of the male, and six to the female. These he harmonized with the fundamental note, gong of Yellow Bell. The note gong of Yellow Bell can be used to generate all the other notes. Hence, it is said that the note gong of Yellow Bell is the root of the male and female pitch standards.

Translation by John Knoblock and Jeffrey K. Riegel in The Annals of Lü Buwei: A Complete Translation and Study Stanford University Press (2000)

Last edited:
My son used to like playing “Dead Man” when he taught himself guitar in his teens. On the porch with a parlour guitar.

OK - I’ll keep going with Neil …… “Words" - 15 minute recording session version from Journey Through The Past.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Musician’s Day​

by Erik Satie (1866 - 1925)

An artist must organize his life. Here is the exact timetable of my daily activities:

I rise at 7:18; am inspired from 10:23 to 11:47. I lunch at 12:11 and leave the table at 12:14. A healthy ride on horseback round my domain follows from 1:19 P.M. to 2:53 P.M. Another bout of inspiration from 3:12 to 4:07 P.M. From 4:27 to 6:47 P.M. various occupations (fencing, reflection, immobility, visits, contemplation, dexterity, swimming, etc.)

Dinner is served at 7:16 and finished at 7:20 P.M. From 8:09 to 9:59 P.M. symphonic readings (out loud). I go to bed regularly at 10:37 P.M. Once a week, I wake up with a start at 3:19 (Tuesdays).

My only nourishment consists of food that is white: eggs, sugar, grated bones, the fat of dead animals, veal, salt, coconuts, chicken cooked in white water, fruit-mould, rice, turnips, camphorated sausages, pastry, cheese (white varieties), cotton salad, and certain kinds of fish (without their skin). I boil my wine and drink it cold mixed with the juice of the Fuchsia. I am a hearty eater, but never speak while eating, for fear of strangling.

I breathe with care (a little at a time). I very rarely dance. When walking, I clasp my sides, and look steadily behind me.
My expression is very serious; when I laugh it is unintentional, and I always apologize most affably.

I sleep with only one eye closed, very profoundly. My bed is round, with a hole to put my head through. Once every hour a servant takes my temperature and gives me another.

I have subscribed for some time to a fashion magazine. I wear a white cap, white stockings, and a white waistcoat.
My doctor has always told me to smoke. Part of his advice runs: “Smoke away, dear chap; if you don’t someone else will.”

SATIE’S DRAWING OF THE HOTEL DE LA SUZONNIÈRES, CA. 1893.
page67.jpg

A CASTLE, NONEXISTENT, AS SKETCHED BY SATIE.
satie_autoportret_projet_buste_1913.jpg

SATIE’S SKETCH FOR A BUST OF HIMSELF, NEVER COMPLETED.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back