The Most Over-rated song(s) in history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bartholin Juice said:
Smells Like Teen Spirit.
M29 said:
Agree. A few mates and I saw it last night on Rage. What's the big deal about it?

The fact it was so cutting edge and different. Remember 1990-91 was a time when the likes of Guns N Roses, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and New Kids On The Block were huge.

Nirvana helped usher in a whole new genre of music - we look back on it with the benefit of 13 years of hindsight and think well yeah what was the big deal, but for its time it was a massive seachange, the harbinger of the Seattle sound and all that guff.

I still don't get the appeal of the Beatles.

But Smells Like Teen Spirit is one that I do like, for it's cultural significance (although it's probably partly responsible for years of whiny faux angst ridden crap by pale imitators) as well as it's composition. However, upon listening back to the rest of Nevermind, I'm not sure why I was so so excited by the rest of it. The hot flush of youth I suppose. :confused:

dyertribe said:
The fact it was so cutting edge and different. Remember 1990-91 was a time when the likes of Guns N Roses, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and New Kids On The Block were huge.

Nirvana helped usher in a whole new genre of music - we look back on it with the benefit of 13 years of hindsight and think well yeah what was the big deal, but for its time it was a massive seachange, the harbinger of the Seattle sound and all that guff.

The only thing it gave was kids an excuse to hate their parents. I never liked Nirvana and never got why they told everyone how ******** their life was. Maybe it has to do with being american. I just didn't buy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Coldplay/Travis/Train type stuff that only pu$$ywhipped guys like. :D

Going back in history a little i don't really 'get' what the big deal is about 'The Band'

Adrian Shelton said:
Any Coldplay/Travis/Train type stuff that only pu$$ywhipped guys like. :D
seconded. Add Matchbox 20, Incubus, Creed, and Goo Goo Dolls to that lists.

Going back in history a little i don't really 'get' what the big deal is about 'The Band'
There wasn't really a big deal about them except maybe The Last Waltz which was (IICR) their last concert (and album) featuring guests such as Dylan, Young, Harrison, Diamond, amongst others. Basically a big f***-off jam.

The Weight is their only well known song.

The Band are rightly recognised as one of the most influential artists in popular music history. Their "Songs from Big Pink" album is still regarded by the likes of Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and Neil Young as the greatest ever Rock recording. Apart from "The weight" they produced such songs as "Cripple Creek", "Wheels on fire", "The night they drove old Dixie down"," Shape I'm in"," Life is a carnival" and "Chest Fever", all of which still sound magnificent today.

Well worth checking out.

bunsen burner said:
seconded. Add Matchbox 20, Incubus, Creed, and Goo Goo Dolls to that lists.

LMAO.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was a defining moment in rock history. Nevermind is one of the best albums ever. Not saying Nivana were one of the best bands ever but that song and that album changed music as we knew it at the time. How many bands can say they did that?

Oh and how the hell can Incubus be overated?

Angus1 said:
Oh and how the hell can Incubus be overated?
Because they suck so bad that even those who think the same are still overrating them.

I'd have to say Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Under the Bridge', 'Californication' or 'Scar Tissue'...they're good songs, but not good enough to be considered up there with the best songs of all time that so many radio stations think.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Most Over-rated song(s) in history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back