Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Recorded, improbably, implausibly and immaculately by the short-lived but long-legened Robert Johnson back in 1937, the year of the Geelong Football Clubs's 3rd VFL Premiership.

There's hype, and then there's recognition of of-it's-time genius. Robert Johnson was the real deal, as improbable as his story is.

The 1937 Geelong Premiership team is perhaps our least sexy Flag team, but perhaps it's just the most underappreciated.

Whatever; I have been on a massive Robert Johnson kick for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life and it has been super rewarding.

Way back when, I was getting into him and the earlier blues guys. I had already been into the Stones for a long time and of course the other blues based artists. So was lead the RJ. This was when I was just out of school and grunge was embryonic, then I expatted and missed the Seattle thing(where I was living at the time :).

Another classic blues artist you may like

Fuller was a Piedmont bluesman (in fact, local to me), with a much more lilting style than Delta blues. Inherited a lot from ragtime music. Fuller has some of the best guitar chops I've ever heard:

He's buried near this monument, down in the field just beyond the treeline.

Yeah you can hear the ragtime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back