The one question I want the club to answer

Remove this Banner Ad

As a long time North supporter, member, cheer squad member and generational North lover, how can any parent encourage their child to build a passion for North Melbourne football and love this club?

This club has been passed from generation to generation through my family, no North loving mother or father has a chance with their child now.

How can we hold our heads high knowing we have lost a generation of support and the future members of such a small club?

Well what's the alternative?

Surrender and die, and take the easy money and go to GOLD COAST and become an AFL francise?

Was that a better alternative ?

WE ARE STILL BASED IN ARDEN ST.
WE ARE STILL NORTH MELBOURNE

The club is thriving off the field.

And if it can fight our way out of this, from one draft to the next. From one trade to the next.

If we can keep our good players.

And as our players mature and players at other clubs retire, or fall off the cliff.

Then we still have a chance....

Had we have gone to the Gold Coast, your kids would get to see the Kangas play 5 times a year in Melbourne and 6 if they travelled to Geelong.

How would you feel about things then?

I think we've been reasonably spoilt as a footy supporter for about 30 years - 4 premierships, countless finals campaigns, rarely bottom four, etc. We had some of the greatest players of all time play in this period. So this past 5 years comes as a real shock to the system. Some real cognitive dissonance.

As others have said, pretty much every club has gone through a period as bleak as what North is going through now. The only club that I can think of that has escaped this is Geelong. That's it. One single club. And the rest have all survived.

Yes, we are a small club, and so this sucks extra hard. In some ways. But this time, we are a small but sustainable club now. The losing right now doesn't even cause me existential anxiety, like it would have 10 years ago. Our membership is at record levels, we are profitable, etc. Good time to suck if any IMO.

It's sport, it will turn around. We don't have a culture of losing - the personnel will catch up. We'll start to catch lucky breaks. Players will start to stand up and define themselves as the cream of their generation.

Interestingly, Clarko spent some time with Steve Kerr, the Golden State Warriors championship coach. Before Kerr took over, its easy to forget that the Warriors were a laughing stock of the NBA - perennial losers over decades. They went through a twelve season playoff drought before the 'We Believe' Warriors of 2006-07, then promptly missed the playoffs again for another five seasons before the Curry era began. Then they started a dynasty - four championships, five finals later. Sure, the Warriors lost multiple generations of fans from the 90s and 00s, but damn they now are one of the most popular franchises today. That's sport.

Not many clubs have won a premiership since NM's last win.
Richmond have won three in recent years and yet are sitting on just one game above NM on the ladder.
WCE are also near the bottom of the ladder and yet can still get 50k people to watch their home games.
As 3051 said it's only a matter of time before things turn around. It's just a matter of sticking with the team and showing up at the game is the best thing that can make turn around that happen.

It’s amazing how that stuff sorts itself out when a team is performing again. I remember when Melbourne struggled to get crowds and almost no kids followed them, and it’s all different now. North will be the same. The stalwarts who keep coming and supporting in bad times are a minority, at every club.
those hawthorn crowds were pretty big for a while, don't see it now

I know some older Shinboners who watched about 30 or 40 yrs where the club struggled with the odd couple of good yrs. This is nothing compared to that . We will come good eventually. PS I will be here for eternity Long Live NMFC

Last edited:
I know some older Shinboners who watched about 30 or 40 yrs where the club struggled with the odd couple of good yrs. This is nothing compared to that . We will come good eventually. PS I will be here for eternity Long Live NMFC
I resemble that.

Not many clubs have won a premiership since NM's last win.
That's not true. The only ones that haven't are St. Kilda, Carlton, Adelaide, Freo, Gold Coast and GWS. The majority of the league has won a flag since 1999. 7 clubs have won multiple. Us, Carlton and the Suns are the only clubs that haven't played in a grand final this century.

**** you campaigners are a bunch of whinging whining pea hearts. Harden up. Whole generation, you kidding me? How quickly did those Hawks jump on board when they started going well.. just change the thread title, “im a bandwagon supporter with a pea heart”

Well I’m pencilling in a win v GoDeez

Are you?

Well what's the alternative?

Surrender and die, and take the easy money and go to GOLD COAST and become an AFL francise?

Was that a better alternative ?

WE ARE STILL BASED IN ARDEN ST.
WE ARE STILL NORTH MELBOURNE

The club is thriving off the field.

And if it can fight our way out of this, from one draft to the next. From one trade to the next.

If we can keep our good players.

And as our players mature and players at other clubs retire, or fall off the cliff.

Then we still have a chance....

Had we have gone to the Gold Coast, your kids would get to see the Kangas play 5 times a year in Melbourne and 6 if they travelled to Geelong.

How would you feel about things then?
What Snowroo was implying is that us, NMFC , as a club, has to start winning games. What young supporter is going to put themselves through grief watching us play each week when we are getting flogged by 10 goals approx. If we don't turn it around we will lose a whole generation of supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Snowroo was implying is that us, NMFC , as a club, has to start winning games. What young supporter is going to put themselves through grief watching us play each week when we are getting flogged by 10 goals approx. If we don't turn it around we will lose a whole generation of supporters.

You don’t think we’ve lost them in 2023, 22, 21 and 20?

Let’s put that in context as a 10 year old following North.

We haven’t been done by 100 points. 2022 was worse IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back