The Pet Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's Snuffy having a nap a few weeks ago:
24777_542551542391_219002542_32597733_219773_n.jpg

Here are some pictures of my adopted Grey Brushtailed Possums

This is "Mumma" Poss shes a wild possum that comes to visit me everynight. Although she is wild, she is very tame she lets me pat her and comes when she is called. When she sees me she runs up to me and all.

24032010018.jpg

13032010036.jpg

Shes only just recently had a baby Possum (well hes just came out of her pouch about 2 weeks ago) She lets me pick him up and all and he doesnt mind in the slightest Mumma doesnt mind either

160320100371.jpg

I've named him "Joey" and he is about 5 months old

24032010.jpg

I consider myself very lucky to have such a close friendship with both of these Possums, They are wild and yet are very tame with me only. I feed Mumma everynight and she repays me with kindness.

Sorry about the size of the Pics I dont know how to reduce the size of them

Okay where do I start....

The first dog my family had was a German Shephard called Charlie, He got hit by a car when he was 8 and from what i'm told (I would of been 1 yr old) they found him under the same bush he sunbaked in until everyone got home.

After Charlie, we got a dog from the AWL, A border collie cross german shephard called Billy. He was an awesome, awesome dog.

BILLY.jpg
While we had Billy I got a Pure White cat I called Misty. She put up with anything! I dressed her up in my dolls dresses etc, her and Billy got along like a house on fire.

Maybe about 8 or 9 years later mum brought home two Toy Poodles.... Nuff said. Henry and Oscar, or Fat and Skinny are their names.

Pet Count So far;

3 Dogs (Not incl Charlie)
1 Cat

Years passed by, moved house a few times, here comes 2007.

All 4 animals still alive and well. Billy is around 17... VERY VERY VERY OLD. But the poodles keep him going strong. Misty is hissing about becoming an old cranky cat.

I get my first paycheck from my first job and by 'accident' go into a pet shop and buy myself the tiniest whiniest kitten and called him Starsky.
He is a plain tabby but still very small and whiney.

In late 08, my irresponsible brother found out his cat was preggers. He didnt want the kittens, so he's off planning on giving them away. Unfortunately within a few days of the mother giving birth she rejected them - We followed all advice from the vet etc about her giving birth. We found three of the four kittens around the garden, poor things. The third we found still in the area she gave birth and removed from their asap to avoid him facing the same fate. However we noticed as he started to walk, his rear legs weren't supporting his weight, off to the vet we go and are told his hips were dislocated or something of the sort.

No one wanted him. He was dead set gorgeous and cuddly. So my mum said we'd take him in, we asked the vet what we could do in regards to his walking and all he needed was a carpeted floor to build up the strength in his legs and bang he walks like a normal puss now just with a little swing in his hips. His name is Lucky... Named by my now 5 yr old niece....

But wait there's more.

Starsky fell inlove with my boyfriend and his mum so he moved in with them... Then one day my mum visited me at work, she had had a change of heart... and informed me she had taken Billy and Misty to be put to sleep - They had both had a very good run and i agreed it was for the best. But then she also told me that she had taken Lucky to the AWL... I was like WTF!!!

She didnt get away with it that easily, the rest of the week i plotted to get Lucky back, and I did :) $150 later, desexed and microchipped, i had my precious back. She later admitted she was happy to have him back.

So all in all, I now have two cats, Starsky and Lucky and two dogs, Henry and Oscar.

Sorry it was a long post.

Photo's Coming.

Sorry but i do love my pets.
Here is Henry and Oscar, I still have trouble telling them apart. The collars do not help.
04042010044.jpg

04042010045.jpg

I might be biased but I think the kitten I adopted a couple of weeks ago is one of the cutest I've seen:

V__103B_zpsc728c5df.jpg

WP_000168_zpsaa103368.jpg

Last week my two Jack Russells got out of the yard and ran off. My boy came back within half an hour but my girl didn't. I searched for all day to no avail. The next morning I called the council to see if a dog had been brought in. They said no but half an hour later I got a call from the council tosay that a female Jack Russell had been brought in who had been mauled to death by two big dogs. She had a microchip so traced her back to me. Totally devastated. They asked if I wanted tocollect herbody but I said that I couldn't handle seeing her like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

one dog - a West Highland Terrier
2 cats - a Moggie and a Burmese

Unfortunately the moggie was given to me when he was 4 weeks old, and as a consequence, he has never been very friendly. In fact, it has gotten to the point where we have to give him to a friend of ours as a stable cat. He is just too nasty to remain as a pet.

However, just before Christmas, I am getting a traditional Siamese cat. Can't wait. Siamese are just delightful creatures.
My gf hates cats. All the cats we know were taken from their mum too young and so are unsociable. I'd like a Bengal.

Last week my two Jack Russells got out of the yard and ran off. My boy came back within half an hour but my girl didn't. I searched for all day to no avail. The next morning I called the council to see if a dog had been brought in. They said no but half an hour later I got a call from the council tosay that a female Jack Russell had been brought in who had been mauled to death by two big dogs. She had a microchip so traced her back to me. Totally devastated. They asked if I wanted tocollect herbody but I said that I couldn't handle seeing her like that.
Did you prosecute? That could have been a child.

Feel for you mate. Terrible story.

We had 2 dogs as of Friday morning - a lab & a maltese pom. The lab is mine & the malt/pom my fiances so they were brought together later in life. Until I met this little thing I was never a little dog fan but she was an absolute champ that would basically be by our side 95% of the time we were at home, be it inside or out. Anyway we got home from work on Friday and she greeted us at the front door as she does usually, but saw a lady across the street that she thought she needed a pat off for whatever reason - usually she'd just wait at the front fence & knew not to go any further. She bolted - which she never does - without even stopping to think for a moment and not giving us a chance to do anything. A small truck collected her fair and square & took her life instantly in front of us both.

I've had all my grandparents pass on, I've had a close uncle die suddenly, but this is by far the worst I've ever felt in my life. Everywhere we look inside something reminds us of her, and we cannot help but think of what we could have done to prevent it, or if she'd had given us a moment to deter her dash to the road. We're heartbroken.

Did you prosecute? That could have been a child.

I thought about it and a couple of friends suggested it but I just don't think I could be bothered. The owners were extremely sorry and apologetic.

Feel for you mate. Terrible story.

We had 2 dogs as of Friday morning - a lab & a maltese pom. The lab is mine & the malt/pom my fiances so they were brought together later in life. Until I met this little thing I was never a little dog fan but she was an absolute champ that would basically be by our side 95% of the time we were at home, be it inside or out. Anyway we got home from work on Friday and she greeted us at the front door as she does usually, but saw a lady across the street that she thought she needed a pat off for whatever reason - usually she'd just wait at the front fence & knew not to go any further. She bolted - which she never does - without even stopping to think for a moment and not giving us a chance to do anything. A small truck collected her fair and square & took her life instantly in front of us both.

I've had all my grandparents pass on, I've had a close uncle die suddenly, but this is by far the worst I've ever felt in my life. Everywhere we look inside something reminds us of her, and we cannot help but think of what we could have done to prevent it, or if she'd had given us a moment to deter her dash to the road. We're heartbroken.

Cheers. Sorry to hear of your loss. It certainly is like losing a member of your family.

There's an incredibly stupid boxer next door. Barks all night from 11:30 pm to about 5 am.

Have complained to the neighbour about him and got "he only barks when he has to"

Boxers are awesome! The one you're dealing with may be different but they do usually only bark when sometings going on. Handy security if you don't have a dog yourself.

Boxers are awesome! The one you're dealing with may be different but they do usually only bark when sometings going on. Handy security if you don't have a dog yourself.

Nah this one barks at nothing every single nigjt for 5 hours. I have 2 dobermans and they don't bark at all and the boxer just barks every night all night. I'm convinced its retarted

Nah this one barks at nothing every single nigjt for 5 hours. I have 2 dobermans and they don't bark at all and the boxer just barks every night all night. I'm convinced its retarted

The secruity thing is no big deal for you then, Dobermans are cool dogs. My boxer is quiet unless people are about out the front, i might be lucky there arent dogs next door though. Throw it a bone or something lol.

The secruity thing is no big deal for you then, Dobermans are cool dogs. My boxer is quiet unless people are about out the front, i might be lucky there arent dogs next door though. Throw it a bone or something lol.

Gonna call the council and complain

This is a big bump I know, i just wanted to see if anyone had some advice on dog behaviour. I have a 6 yr old maltese shitzu, she was attacked (drew blood but no major damage) about 3 years ago and ever since struggles with other dogs coming near her at the park and now we have a new jack russell terrier living behind us and any noise that makes means my dog goes charging outside to bark at it. Is it worth me going to the jack russell's house and introducing the dogs, let them have a sniff.  

And does anyone else have any other suggestions about making her a bit more friendly to other dogs? If we take her to the park I have to hold her tight, I can't let her roam free if any other dogs are there.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Pet Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back