Expansion The 'Play AFL' advertisment at Carrara

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate the French they call RL....League 13 :confused:

I actually applaud that . Literally game of thirteen .
In the past there have been some name change discussions
for various reasons but nobody has come up with anything acceptable .
BUt calling a game after it's association , union or league is ludicrous .
What is the WARL ? It sounds like the WA Rugby league .
Shouldn't it be the WA RL league ? and the NRL be the NRL league .
And what happens when a rl player plays reserves ? Is he a rugby seconds player or a rl seconds player ? What about all the Australian Footballers
plaing in assoctions or leagues . You know a "league" player is someone
who plays "firsts" ,"in the ones" , "top grade" etc .
You know , a rl league player , not a rl reserve or rl seconds .

So game of 13 :thumbsu:
Game of 15 ? game of 18 ?
Maybe , but then you rugby 7s , and AR 9s, 10s,12s,14s and 16s .

.:confused:

I actually applaud that . Literally game of thirteen .
In the past there have been some name change discussions
for various reasons but nobody has come up with anything acceptable .
BUt calling a game after it's association , union or league is ludicrous .
What is the WARL ? It sounds like the WA Rugby league .
Shouldn't it be the WA RL league ? and the NRL be the NRL league .
And what happens when a rl player plays reserves ? Is he a rugby seconds player or a rl seconds player ? What about all the Australian Footballers
plaing in assoctions or leagues . You know a "league" player is someone
who plays "firsts" ,"in the ones" , "top grade" etc .
You know , a rl league player , not a rl reserve or rl seconds .

So game of 13 :thumbsu:
Game of 15 ? game of 18 ?
Maybe , but then you rugby 7s , and AR 9s, 10s,12s,14s and 16s .

.:confused:

RL is the 17 man code.... if anything if should be League 17...

Rugby Football League is offical name....it was meant to be an upper 'league' above rugby union

dont confuse me :D

I also thought it was a bit strange to see the "Play AFL" sign at Cararra. But you never know, maybe the AFL were trying to get the Queenslanders interested in actually playing AFL (for the new team). Quite a stretch, I know.

I also thought it was a bit strange to see the "Play AFL" sign at Cararra. But you never know, maybe the AFL were trying to get the Queenslanders interested in actually playing AFL (for the new team). Quite a stretch, I know.

its a bit desparate...people are at game wathing AFL...unless they tried to put sign outside Skilled Stadium lol

And if you want to read demeaning comments anywhere about other codes try reading the comments here about both Rugby Codes by the uneducated twerps who regularly abuse the games every chance they get.
well thats just it, whats the point? so there are a few idiots who dislike or hate other codes, and that is their prerogative to slag other codes on their own board. go to a soccer board and you will find afl and both rugby codes slagged off.

so tell me, what ____ing point, besides pissing people off and proving yourself a paranoid arseh*le, is achieved by going onto a different codes board and slagging off that code in response? what compels you to care what an idiot minority of another code thinks that you have to act in such a way as to make all the rest of the people there hate your favoured code?

in addition to making you an arseh*le, it just seems like a giant waste of time, to me

The “AFL” tag is used by all the state leagues except for SA and WA.

Even the “traditional” footy states of Vic and Tas use it:

AFL_VICTORIA_Logo90px.jpg

AFL_TAS_Logo90px.jpg

people are at game wathing AFL...unless they tried to put sign outside Skilled Stadium

Yes , it seems a bit ineffective , but the land hire costs are zero
and the sign gets picked up by TV . Maybe positive re-inforcement as well .
And why not place something at Robina .
In Cherrybrook you'll see more signs for junior AR than rl .

RL is the 17 man code.... if anything if should be League 17...

No , quite obviously it's the numbers on the field .
Actually more applicable to AFL with all their rotations .

Rugby Football League is offical name....it was meant to be an upper 'league' above rugby union

I don't think so . "league" was the last choice .
Historically there were AR "unions" as well as leagues and associations .

Yes , it seems a bit ineffective , but the land hire costs are zero
and the sign gets picked up by TV . Maybe positive re-inforcement as well .
And why not place something at Robina .
In Cherrybrook you'll see more signs for junior AR than rl .

league juniors are dominate in that area..

No , quite obviously it's the numbers on the field .
Actually more applicable to AFL with all their rotations .

thats the difference between league and union 17 and 22 on a team... The locals dont know why french media call it league 13

I don't think so . "league" was the last choice .
Historically there were AR "unions" as well as leagues and associations .

IDK TBH...does it really matter what we call it...Ive always call it League, RU is union and AFL where i went to school AFL or aussie rules..

It's been slowly happening for a number of years, the AFL are positioning themselves to call the whole sport AFL.

First there was AFL NSW. Then AFL Queensland, now Football Victoria has been renamed AFL Victoria. Given enough time, the sport will be known nationwide as AFL.

All the while, "Soccer" are pumping out Football and slowly but surely, more people are starting to refer to it as Football. It will take time, but there will be a big shift eventually when it is common for it to be referred to as Football.

We all know that this has been extremely successful domestically and
internationally . Everytime someone means to say "I'm playing footy"
when they actually say "I'm playing AFL" it strengthens the brand .
Overseas , it's hard to develope a game with a country's name in it .
Almost all overseas leagues have changed to the AFL branding .

Now as to the righteous side of things , if you know the right procedure
then you should use it . Now ,You know that the proper name is
Australian Football , you've been told countless (literally) times ,
yet you go out of your way not to use it . It's only courtesy .,
the same courtesy in diferentiating between RU and rl ,
which also have the same grammatically obscene connotations .
I must admit I have never ever ever heard anybody refer to the game as "Australian Football" other than reading it online.

I've heard Aussie Rules, Australian Rules, Australian Rules football, Aussie Rules football, AFL, etc.. even just "football" from some born and bred supporters ... but never Australian Football.

I've only ever heard Australian Football in the contex of Australian soccer.

I must admit I have never ever ever heard anybody refer to the game as "Australian Football" other than reading it online.

Many , many times , a long , long time ago .
I've never actually heard someone refer to soccer as football .
But I still know that some people outside of Australia do .
Never actually heard anyone refer to RU and rl by their proper titles .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the while, "Soccer" are pumping out Football and slowly but surely, more people are starting to refer to it as Football. It will take time, but there will be a big shift eventually when it is common for it to be referred to as Football.

Soccer is football . But why would you want your code referred to as
Football football ?
Australian Football , American Football , Gaelic Football , Association Football ,
Rugby Football , World Football and even Fusball Football ,
but Football football , you've got to be joking ?

thats the difference between league and union 17 and 22 on a team... The locals dont know why french media call it league 13

Again 17 and 22 are the maximum numbers on a team .
The game is played with 13 and 15 on the field .
Actually AR would sound pretty sweet - des sweet in fact (dix huit).

.does it really matter what we call it.

Only in mixed company .In the West Australian we have football , soccer , RU and rl results .Somebody using "football" implies it's AFL , Australian Football or football as played in WA .(note it is the WA Football League . Always was and always will be , except when it was Weststar and WANFL )
Somebody using "league" implies a player of league standard .
And you wouldn't like it if we used rugby for both RU and rl .

Soccer is football . But why would you want your code referred to as
Football football ?
Australian Football , American Football , Gaelic Football , Association Football ,
Rugby Football , World Football and even Fusball Football ,
but Football football , you've got to be joking ?

I've never ever heard anybody within the soccer world call their game Association Football.

I know the FA Cup is organised by the Football Association in England.

I've never ever heard anybody within the soccer world call their game Association Football.

I have heard a few pommie friends refer to it as such .
I have heard very few people refer to Australian Football as such .
In Perth it's just football , soccer and league is a standard you achieve
after colts and seconds . You might hear rugby and rl but not RU .

Only in mixed company .In the West Australian we have football , soccer , RU and rl results .Somebody using "football" implies it's AFL , Australian Football or football as played in WA .(note it is the WA Football League . Always was and always will be , except when it was Weststar and WANFL )
Somebody using "league" implies a player of league standard .
And you wouldn't like it if we used rugby for both RU and rl .

you got a point there..

I have heard a few pommie friends refer to it as such .
Yeah?

I have heard very few people refer to Australian Football as such . In Perth it's just football , soccer and league is a standard you achieve
after colts and seconds . You might hear rugby and rl but not RU .

"football" means RL where I grew up (SEQ; and still live) and still does.

However, I see most (if not all) online, print and broadcast media now adopt "football" as their accepted reference for soccer. The remainder go by AFL / League / Union. Reporters within AFL and League however still generally refer to their game as "football" publicly.

Did anyone else see this on Saturday night? It is an absolute disgrace. The game isn't called AFL, it called football or footy. The AFL think they own the game. They are a disgrace, they are slowly wrecking footy.

Advertising the game the wrong way in regions who aren't familiar to football isn't good. They are getting the wrong message. The AFL are telling them that footy is only played at one level. This is not the case. There is some great footy played at the amateur levels all around Australia.

They have even brainwashed some people. Posters on bigfooty have called football AFL instead of calling it its proper name, which is football.

Message to Andy D: You don't own the game you are just a league which is the biggest poo stain the great game which us Australians are lucky enough to have.

AFL is not a sport.

So you have no worries with the AFL promoting Rugby League (footy/football as it is known there) for young people in QLD?

You are indeed a strange person

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion The 'Play AFL' advertisment at Carrara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back