The Problem at Port is that there is too much smiling

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
According to Neil Kerley in this am's 'Tiser the problem at Port is that there is too much smiling. He is particular scathing of Mark Williams who was seen at training smiling and joking with the players.

After four straight losses every one at the club should be preaching gloom and doom and walking around with long faces. This idea of staying upbeat and trying to keep the players confidence up is just not on according to Kerls.

Kerls' comments are up there with the "they celebrated too much" comments made by Graham Cornes after the 2004 Preliminary Final win. :rolleyes:

Tell Kerls where to go.. What a tosser.. What the team isnt allowed to smile?? Doesnt he know that laughter is good for you..

Typical Clown lover.

I think he has a bit of a point, maybe not portrayed properly. I think the players need to get angry. Get some aggression at the ball, at the player. Never say die stuff. We haven’t seen that in a while. I think its long overdue.

Not sure what training session Kerls is talking about but the only time the guys were laughing or smiling Wednesday was when they werent actually training.. It was either when they ran out on to the oval or coming off the ground..

There was lots of yelling during the actual training but no laughing and I was sitting right next to the race in the front row.

Oh, and since Choco lost his beloved mum a fortnight ago, Im surprised that Kerls hasnt used that in his critism of Choco..

... I think the players need to get angry. Get some aggression at the ball, at the player. Never say die stuff. We haven’t seen that in a while. I think its long overdue.
I agree with that but that should happen during training drills (and haven't we heard for the last three weeks that the main training session has been the best ever :rolleyes:) and the game. That doesn't mean that the players and coach should be angry and aggressive 24/7 for the entire week. It is all about focused anger and aggression. Being angry and aggressive for the entire week the way Kerls suggests is likely to be detrimental to the players performance come game time.

Hey Port fans don't worry this week

put money on port

it will be cold & wet just the conditions that you love & the conditions Essendon hates, you will get most of the frees coz its a must win game for you & it's Tredrea's 200th - you will kick goals from everywhere & get the confidence & form back - Essendon will give away lots of free kicks in front of goal

how good is port's record against Essendon? the best in the league & their average winning margin against Essendon especially in Adelaide would be about 40 - 50 points or even greater

Q. How many times has Essendon beat Port Adelaide in Adelaide since Port came into the AFL in 1997?

A. Only once in 2000 - Our record breaking premiership year & Port where crap that year!!! (didn't make the finals)

Port by 27 points as much as I hate to say it

I think he has a bit of a point, maybe not portrayed properly. I think the players need to get angry. Get some aggression at the ball, at the player. Never say die stuff. We haven’t seen that in a while. I think its long overdue.

Geez we can let ourselves down with this type of attitude. I'm afraid this member sentiment says more about the member than the player group.

It's all about working through the issues methodically, player by player, play by play, structure by structure.

How quickly we forget the youthfulness of our squad....youth, means inexperience and you can only fix inexperience with experience. And experience means skill, physical and "mental". I'm sure it would be great for the younger players to have Williams foaming at the mouth at every session. No one respects a tyrant (think of your own work experience-which boss have you performed better for). Personally, I'm refreshed that Williams is staying close to his team which in itself will inspire confidence in the player group.

Geez we can let ourselves down with this type of attitude. I'm afraid this member sentiment says more about the member than the player group.

It's all about working through the issues methodically, player by player, play by play, structure by structure.

How quickly we forget the youthfulness of our squad....youth, means inexperience and you can only fix inexperience with experience. And experience means skill, physical and "mental". I'm sure it would be great for the younger players to have Williams foaming at the mouth at every session. No one respects a tyrant (think of your own work experience-which boss have you performed better for). Personally, I'm refreshed that Williams is staying close to his team which in itself will inspire confidence in the player group.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Well said oporto!

Q. How many times has Essendon beat Port Adelaide in Adelaide since Port came into the AFL in 1997?

A. Only once in 2000 - Our record breaking premiership year & Port where crap that year!!! (didn't make the finals)

Nah, you also won in Round 2, 1997 - although it was a somewhat fortunate victory. Port came out like a train in their very first home game for AFL points but couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

Way to take what I said way out of context

If you gotta go, go with a smile ;)

nicholson%20joker%20bn3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what training session Kerls is talking about but the only time the guys were laughing or smiling Wednesday was when they werent actually training.. It was either when they ran out on to the oval or coming off the ground..
Kerls told the muppets on 5AA that he doesnt go to Port training... so he is taking this purely from the 15 second snippets of Port training on the news, and in photographs etc...

to say we are smiling too much is ridiculous...

Kerls told the muppets on 5AA that he doesnt go to Port training... so he is taking this purely from the 15 second snippets of Port training on the news, and in photographs etc...

to say we are smiling too much is ridiculous...

I put Kerley in the same boat as Sam Newman and KG - yesterday's hero with nothing new to add to any intelligent football debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Problem at Port is that there is too much smiling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back