The race for eighth place is officially on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it this way, North will cause many more headaches if they make the finals than Carlton or Port.
If you dont believe this then you're either blinded with your navy blue glasses, a moron, or you dont watch enough football to judge.
So you keep saying ..but like others have pointed out it's just your dumb opinion that has no factual base .

No, the hawks finished with a better W/L record, and then beat us in a final - DERP!

Are you ruddy 8 years old? How can you not comprehend this...but not only that...you then insult me for it.

W/L% means virtually nothing come finals time. Proven a number of times, but Hawks 2012 and Cats 2008 are the best two i can think of.

Put it this way, North will cause many more headaches if they make the finals than Carlton or Port.
If you dont believe this then you're either blinded with your navy blue glasses, a moron, or you dont watch enough football to judge.

You are right. I think if you surveyed the current top 8 sides' coaches all bar Ross Lyon (who always account for us easily) would prefer to play Carlton over North. Fact is we have a far more solid unit across the board than carlton and have better Key position stocks.
Having said that if carlton can get all their players on the park and everything clicks for them they have players with x factor that on their day can be dangerous against any side.

North would have learned a hell of a lot from their final last.... they also seem to be in much better fitness than this time last year, which IMO was a big reason why they got flogged in their last final.

They are realistically (along with Carlton) a big chance to advance to a semifinal. They have an awesome record against the Tigers and they flogged them last time they played.

Of course I'd love West Coast to make it but a lot of shit has to go right and thus we are not really a realistic option.

You are welcome to your opinion of course, just don't try to pass it off as knowledge. Facts are Carlton have beaten the potential first-week opponent in the Tigers, have beaten Port and they've beaten North themselves. The Blues have also run every top 8 side to around 3 goals bar Freo, who we went toe to toe with until the last quarter. I agree North could cause a few teams headaches in finals, but I've watched plenty enough footy and call bullshit on your post here.

You beat North by 1 after giving up a huge lead in the 3rd quarter, Port at Ethihad and Richmond when they were already a lock for finals. Not that convincing. Also unlike the potential first week opponents, you have losses to bottom Saints and Bulldogs.
Norths best is by far better than Carltons.

Guess you don't understand simple concepts. Let me try again. The first quarter was a true reflection of the 2 sides, we destroyed. After that Richmond stopped, yet Carlton still could only win by 10 points.

So when we played Collingwood and thrashed them in the 1st quarter. The only reason we lost comfortably was because we stopped trying. Just like when Richmond stopped trying when top 4 was on the line.

Although I do agree out of the teams mentioned North would be the most damaging but I feel the Blues aren't being paid enough credit here either. Every time they have made the finals recently they have been pretty competitive with their largest loss 7 points I think against Brisbane? I doubt any team would feel confident playing the Blues come September especially us.

You beat North by 1 after giving up a huge lead in the 3rd quarter, Port at Ethihad and Richmond when they were already a lock for finals. Not that convincing. Also unlike the potential first week opponents, you have losses to bottom Saints and Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs are the only team Carlton haven't beaten in the bottom 10. North on the other hand haven't beaten West Coast, Adelaide and the Gold Coast. Carlton have a narrow loss and big win against the Saints and North a narrow loss and big win against the Lions.

Against the top teams, we've performed pretty similarly, but kudos that they got over the line in their second encounter against the Cats, which gives them a slight edge.

Carlton comfortably outplayed North all game in their encounter. They neither gave up a huge lead nor were outplayed that last quarter. The Blues were a few goals in front and sprayed most of their of shots on goal in the last, while North's were all goals bar one.

And yet we beat them head-to-head and compare pretty well otherwise. Go figure.

I think this idea is something you want to go with, and I suspect it's influenced by them thumping the Tigers this year, but to claim your opinion as a knowledge and suggest anyone who doesn't see it your way is a moron who hasn't watched enough footy is pretty rich given how the Blues compare over the spread of games this year. Perhaps you just underrate Carlton's best.

So when we played Collingwood and thrashed them in the 1st quarter. The only reason we lost comfortably was because we stopped trying. Just like when Richmond stopped trying when top 4 was on the line.

Doesn't really make sense, since you actually had a reason to win against Collingwood. Against Carlton the players knew it was a long shot to make top 4 and so close to finals they didn't want to get injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess you don't understand simple concepts. Let me try again. The first quarter was a true reflection of the 2 sides, we destroyed. After that Richmond stopped, yet Carlton still could only win by 10 points.

First, I like Richmond.
Second, um, what on earth? By your weird measuring stick maybe, but to a neutral it didn't seem to me like Richmond stopped trying. They did stop though. You realise that loss secured us Top 4? If Richmond had won that and the remaining games including this weeks to Essendon, you'd be 4th right now. There was no chance Sydney with their current state of injuries and out of form midfield could win against Geelong and Hawthorn. You'd be joking to think your side had nothing to play for.

The Bulldogs are the only team Carlton haven't beaten in the bottom 10. North on the other hand haven't beaten West Coast, Adelaide and the Gold Coast. Carlton have a narrow loss and big win against the Saints and North a narrow loss and big win against the Lions.

Against the top teams, we've performed pretty similarly, but kudos that they got over the line in their second encounter against the Cats, which gives them a slight edge.

Carlton comfortably outplayed North all game in their encounter. They neither gave up a huge lead nor were outplayed that last quarter. The Blues were a few goals in front and sprayed most of their of shots on goal in the last, while North's were all goals bar one.

And yet we beat them head-to-head and compare pretty well otherwise. Go figure.

I think this idea is something you want to go with, and I suspect it's influenced by them thumping the Tigers this year, but to claim your opinion as a knowledge and suggest anyone who doesn't see it your way is a moron who hasn't watched enough footy is pretty rich given how the Blues compare over the spread of games this year. Perhaps you just underrate Carlton's best.

Anyone that thinks Carlton is actually better than North is a fool. North has played much better against better teams and is only where it is because of giving up leads late, if they didn't , they would be top 4. When North plays against a top team every gives thinks that they are a very good chance to win. But when Carlton plays top teams no one really gives them a chance. That shows what people think of each team.

And no the idea isn't "something I want to go with". And it's not influenced by how much they beat us by, but partly because how well they played that day. That game and several other games and parts of games they showed how good they were. As they did last year as well. There best is very good. Unlike Carlton who I haven't seen play anywhere near as good footy as that and don't seem to have the players to actually get that good.

First, I like Richmond.
Second, um, what on earth? By your weird measuring stick maybe, but to a neutral it didn't seem to me like Richmond stopped trying. They did stop though. You realise that loss secured us Top 4? If Richmond had won that and the remaining games including this weeks to Essendon, you'd be 4th right now. There was no chance Sydney with their current state of injuries and out of form midfield could win against Geelong and Hawthorn. You'd be joking to think your side had nothing to play for.

The players would have thought we are basically no chance for top 4, as did the supporters and the media. When we played Carlton, Sydney didn't look like they were in bad form. That happened after the Geelong game.
Didn't think it was weird that we dominate the first quarter and then stopped after that? Maybe you didn't watch the game, but there was no effort there from the players. They were thinking about not missing finals because of injury, not making sure we win the game.

It's really just a matter of believing what you want to here. "The first quarter is the true indication. The rest of the game is no indication". Doubtless if the Tigers were beaten in the first and performed dominantly the rest of the game, you'd find the same posters claiming the complete opposite. Of course neither would make much sense to someone without the motivation to believe it.

Actually I think our best is better/same but our worst is definitely worse.

It's really just a matter of believing what you want to here. "The first quarter is the true indication. The rest of the game is no indication". Doubtless if the Tigers were beaten in the first and performed dominantly the rest of the game, you'd find the same posters claiming the complete opposite. Of course neither would make much sense to someone without the motivation to believe it.

Guess you can't understand simple concepts. The first quarter was us playing at our best. The rest of the game was us not playing our best. So wouldn't our best be a true indication of were the 2 teams actually are?

The players would have thought we are basically no chance for top 4, as did the supporters and the media. When we played Carlton, Sydney didn't look like they were in bad form. That happened after the Geelong game.
Didn't think it was weird that we dominate the first quarter and then stopped after that? Maybe you didn't watch the game, but there was no effort there from the players. They were thinking about not missing finals because of injury, not making sure we win the game.

I don't buy into that at all. Professional AFL teams that had Top 4 to play for, which Hardwick, and any player who would care to do a ladder predictor that takes about 2 minutes, would be extremely well aware of, do not instruct their teams to not play to their full potential for the remaining three quarters of the game. There is zero chance you would miss finals, you had GWS in your line-up, and by your logic Richmond shouldn't even bother playing out any games for fear of injuries. Injuries aren't even something you can manage by effort or not, going in hard would only result in sore bodies and the like. The Tigers had no reason to conserve that early in the season, as any logical person would be aware of.

Sydney have been in bad form since Round 19. Besides, at the stage of that Richmond VS Carlton we had STK, HAW and GEE left, and had already lost to Col and been pushed by lessor sides, I do not believe Hardwick doesn't have the professionalism to tell his side to not keep a winning formula going at Richmond. I also would be confident in saying he'd (whether vocally or not) have his eye on that top 4 spot because that's what you want from a coach. I did watch the game, amongst other Richmond games this year. I didn't think it was weird at all you dominated a quarter then fell off, I believe teams rarely play four quarter football against teams of similar talent. There are ebbs and flows in every game, momentum shifts, and it is the job of that football club to capitalise on it when it's going their way, and lessen the damage when it isn't. Richmond didn't do that. Also, there is the counter-argument Carlton only bothered to dominate you for another three quarters, as after all, they did kick the winning score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back