Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 90 43.7%
  • Dusty

Votes: 120 58.3%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 62 30.1%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 58 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
‘Henry who now looks like a gimp.’

Based on what, a season where he’s kicked 28 goals in 20 games, 2 of them where he came in midway through the last quarter as the sub.’

He turned 22 a month ago.

This is what qualifies as looking like a gimp now. Kicking 28 goals in 18 full games as a 21 year old medium forward in a slightly down year. And we obviously know, like everyone, that players peak at 21 😂

Kindly show the Richmond under 22s the past 3 seasons who have had better seasons than Henry's 2023, SDK's 2022-2024, Holmes 2022-2024 or Dempsey and Humphries 2024.

Looks like one sides rebuild is tracking much better than the others. Which is why the big player sell off and a fresh batch of 18 year olds are required for Richmond. Their rebuild starts at this draft period because not much at all has come up good the past 3 seasons.

Cumberland 2022 had a better average performance than most of those. And he is about to be delisted.

‘Henry who now looks like a gimp.’

Based on what, a season where he’s kicked 28 goals in 20 games, 2 of them where he came in midway through the last quarter as the sub.’

He turned 22 a month ago.

This is what qualifies as looking like a gimp now. Kicking 28 goals in 18 full games as a 21 year old medium forward in a slightly down year. And we obviously know, like everyone, that players peak at 21 😂
Perhaps he extends the gimp title also to Lefau, who at age 26 has the same average goals kicked this year.

They were decent teams, sometimes very good, but not quite the best in the comp until they sorted their forward line out and got their midfield balance right. Being on average the 3rd best side in it for a prolonged period means you aren't miles off it. But it doesn't mean missed flags represented a failed policy. It is difficult to produce a side that is consistently knocking on the door. Richmond tried it and they could only last 4 years. Now a scorched Earth rebuild is the consequence.

The bolded gives serious "old man rambling nonsense to himself in the dark" vibes. Nurse!

But on threads comparing dynasty and other highly rated teams you have said over and over those Cats teams Richmond embarrassed 2017-20 were no good. Now you are saying it is difficult to be that good.

Thus my confusion Meow.

But on threads comparing dynasty and other highly rated teams you have said over and over those Cats teams Richmond embarrassed 2017-20 were no good. Now you are saying it is difficult to be that good.

Thus my confusion Meow.
You get confused easily so let's not focus on that.

Show me where I said the teams were "no good". They were about the 3rd or 4th best side on average in relatively weak top end contending groups. Thus the teams were clearly good but not the best or anything amazing. They had nothing on our 2007-2013 or 2022 sides. If the 2017-2020 side had the 2022 forward line along with the two jets on the wings (Smith and Holmes) it may have been a great side. It was an incomplete one with deficiencies. Hence "good" but not "fantastic".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games played by Richmond players in 2024 who are under 23 as of now: 138

Games played by Geelong players in 2024 who are under 23 as of now: 115
There should be a much bigger difference there for a side that is top 4 compared to a possible wooden spooner. Plus there should be more Rising Star nominations and 22under22 selectees for Richmond.

Incredibly worrying signs for Richmond.

I actually do rate Lefau, just seeing if we get some fireworks out of the comparison

Agreed I don’t mind him either. I just don’t get MR’s unhealthy obsession with deathriding a player who has shown by a very young age playing primarily behind two superstar key forwards that he can be a very good contributor. He gets 2.5 shots on goal a game as it is and you would assume as he gets older that will grow barring some major misadventure or Ian baker finch like case of the yips.

Agreed I don’t mind him either. I just don’t get MR’s unhealthy obsession with deathriding a player who has shown by a very young age playing primarily behind two superstar key forwards that he can be a very good contributor. He gets 2.5 shots on goal a game as it is and you would assume as he gets older that will grow barring some major misadventure or Ian baker finch like case of the yips.
Yeah I definitely think there's area for Henry to improve on, I'd like to see him on his bike a bit moving around the ground and getting involved at ground level more, but he is elite at finding space and timing a leap

Was that 9 game Cumberland? 19 goal seasons as a forward aren't going to cut it. Henry had 40 goals in 2023.

Cumberland 2022 v Henry 2023

Av Player Rating 10.02 v 7.89

Av Goals + Assists 3.0 v 2.2

Av Score involvements 5.9 v 5.0

Henry was playing for the reigning premier. Cumberland was playing for the reigning 13th placed team.

Games played by Richmond players in 2024 who are under 23 as of now: 138

Games played by Geelong players in 2024 who are under 23 as of now: 115
Which Richmond players who are yet to turn 24, have had the best seasons for Richmond in 2024?

Ralphsmith, Ross, Ryan, Dow, MRJ, Sonsie, Cumberland, Banks, Brown, Green, Blight, Smith, Campbell and McAuliffe have had chances to shine. That could be the nucleus of the team in 3-5 years, along with the 18 year olds you pick up in this year's draft. Gibcus is he can ever get a good run at it.

Henry was playing for the reigning premier. Cumberland was playing for the reigning 13th placed team.
Why only 9 games? 40 goals compared to 19 means their seasons weren't even in the same ball park.

Also your last sentence is a ridiculous rephrasing of what occurred: Cumberland was playing for a finalist, Henry was playing for the 12th best team.

Still, a fine warning shot of what a club like Richmond could do to a player like Humphries, who also came into the side late and performed well.

Henry's had a stalling year after a good first 7-8 games. It did coincide with trying to play 4-5 tall forwards for a period and in the end his role has become muddled.

Nonetheless setback years can occur. It doesn't mean every young player who has one will become Cumberland.

Will Richmond even know where to go for the Draft?

Isnt it at Docklands?

GO Catters

I don't have a big issue with where O Henry sits in reality. But go back to this thread earlier where Cats were referring to him as a nailed on elite talent and follow the conversation from there, then you will understand why I am highlighting Henry.
Refer us to the posts that said "nailed on elite talent" as opposed to "had a strong year for a 20-21 year old marking forward".

Lolllll. Who the f**k cares.

Who is any team going to value more. A player as third forward giving them 40 goals over a season or a player giving them Cumberland’s output over 9 games using whatever metrics make up your treasured player ratingz

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back