The Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hicks - gone
Contin - gone
Hislop - already elevated
Jakobi - stay
Miller - stay, but would like him to go
Westhoff - stay, as they see him as a long term project
O'Reilly - stay or go, it's a 50-50 but most likely stay for me as we've got a few vacant spots with Taylor gone

• Banned
Hicks - gone
Contin - gone
Hislop - already elevated
Jakobi - stay
Miller - stay, but would like him to go
Westhoff - stay, as they see him as a long term project
O'Reilly - stay or go, it's a 50-50 but most likely stay for me as we've got a few vacant spots with Taylor gone

But will they elevate Hislop and Miller to the Senior list?

Hicks - gone
Contin - maybe rookie, maybe gone
Hislop - senior list
Jakobi - rookie
Miller - gone
Westhoff - rookie
Irish - stay (isn't it different for the international players?)

and a smokey...Troy Taylor onto the rookie list

Jakobi will stay as will O'Reilly the rest will be gone I would say.
Not including Hislop and Miller who have been elevated, Miller will stay depending on how our young talls are performing or if we pick one up and Hislop depending on how he performs the rest of the year.

Scrap all bar Jakobi, who I have high hopes for. Hislop will hang round if he keeps in/on the fringe of the side. Miller will be kept is insurance. Shame about Contin, I thought he might have gone alright this year. O'Reilly will have to perform really well for the rest of the year to remain I'd think. Really think we need to start again with our rookie list. If you look at other clubs', ours is in pretty poor shape.

- Hicks - To small and you cant wont get ahead of King or Nahas.
- Contin - Would want to see him play a game before we make the call to delist.
- Hislop - Still has another year on he's contract.
- Jakobi - Still has another only just back from injury and i have only seen him play in the Nab Cup.
- Miller - Another year doing good enough at the moment.
- Westoff - Cant get a regular game for Coburg seniors let alone Richmond
- Irish - Would like to see him get atleast another year.

Hicks - gone struggling to get a game in the seniors at Coburg can't be good for a second year rookie.
Contin - gone just doesn't seem to have enough weapons to make it as an AFL player.
Hislop - possibly elevated. Would need to play the rest of the year at AFL level and perform well.
Jakobi - retained for a second year
Miller - will be retained for a second year don't expect him to play as much as this year but would be silly to get rid of a a cheap insurance policy
Westoff - 50-50 given we need talls could be retained for a 3rd year but will need to show a bit more in the second half of the year which includes playing more games at senior VFL level.
Irish - will be around next year either as a 3rd year rookie or senior listed. Will help the next Irish feel comfortable.

Where do you think these guys will be next year?

- Hicks - Gone
- Contin - Gone
- Hislop - Next few weeks will decide it.
- Jakobi - give him a second year.
- Miller - Another year, but (hopefully) just at Coburg as insurance.
- Westoff - Gone. Still playing Coburg 2nds after 1.5 years when we're lacking fit tall players.
- Irish - Give him another year. Looked OK, then got hurt.

I think it's disappointing about Contin. Obviously players like Hicks and Westhoff who have stunk up the joint will be on the chopping block, but Contin, from my point of view, really has done everything right. He just doesn't stamp his influence onto a game. I get the feeling that he's the type of player who would step up into AFL and perform exactly the same (somewhat like Tuck, who plays exactly the same no matter who is around him), but he'll probably never get the chance.

- Hicks - outgunned in VFL ressies...nuff said
- Contin - actually a handy player, runs off half back well, should be given a chance
- Hislop - proven he's pretty good
- Jakobi - classy player at Coburg coming back from injury, should be given at least another year
- Miller - should be kept until another forward can step up, his experience should be a big asset
- Westoff - played once for the Coburg Seniors for eight touches and a point, and really can't get the better of many defenders...out
- Irish - looks alright, a little rusty right now and wasn't great on the weekend, needs to have a big second half of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miller is getting slower as the season wears on and he can't bend over. He has been of value as support for Jack but with Vickery improving and Post and Griffiths still to show their wares I can't see him being any value. Also Morton will hopefully come back in. Throw White, Astbury, Kingy, Nahas, Cotchin (who has gone fwd often this year) and Connors (who can go fwd now Grimes, Conca, Houli, and hopefully Moore can play back) up front and Miller is not required.

Richmond have fallen to pieces the last few years with our rookie list players. Wrong philosophy I feel, too many players put on the list with suppossed talent (most with only natural ability to their name) but most seem to be basket head cases with no work ethic (roberts,pedersen,hicks and a plethera more of questionable players). other clubs seem to always pick up players who are lacking in skill but have the work ethic, who in turn make the grade. Very frustrating

sill plenty of footy to be played so both of these players could earn their respective keep...but hicks and Contin would both need to improve near on 100% to remain at punt rd i would have thought, again at this EARLY stage the others i would expect we would persevere with westhoff prob come under some scrutiny, has not bothered the scorers too much other than a 4g thirds game:eek:

Meant to be a weak draft this year so I don't expect us to cut any more than 3 rookies, especially as we already have one spare spot.

Hicks - In trouble, has gone backwards massively this year. Shame after his improvement last year.
Contin - Keep, he was singled out for his work ethic to improve his fitness in preseason. Has cemented his spot in he seniors after spending all last season in the reserves.
Hislop - 50-50, I think he's in the senior side as his last chance to prove himself. Too soon to call at least.
Jakobi - Keep, 1st year on the list and not had much continuity in his football
Miller - 50-50, not sure if we need him with Vickery's improvement. Will depend on Griffiths staying fit I guess.
Westoff - Keep, was always a long term project
Irish - Keep, injured this year and was great in his first year last year, will also help with Heslin's arrival.

Really want to see some Jakobi and some Contin (when fit) soon. We are carrying at least 4 players every week and these guys could actually develop into better players then some of the passengers in the team at the moment. I'd bring Jakobi in this or next week. Then i'd give Contin 2-3 weeks in the VFL when back from injury then in the senior team for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back