The Run Home

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought with the last 6 week block coming up it would be good to see what people are hoping to get out of this stretch - or indeed what they think the football department wants to work through before one of the more critical off seasons in recent history.

Outside of the obvious (ie. more of the post bye 4 week formline) my thoughts:

• We want to see Logue back up and running at full form for at least a 4 week block in the current backline.
  • I'd like to see Duursma do everything needed to get another decent mini stretch of exposure at AFL level before end of year, particularly if we can hold onto the form of the month before Swans game.
  • Like to see us use this time to see more of our 2025 team structure, if that means Shiels for example is now mostly phased out so be it.
  • Hoping that RHJ continues his good VFL form and we get a look at a small block of games at AFL level to tweak the forward line and move out one of the mid sized players.
  • Be great to see the team work through the hot / cold nature of our midfield even if that is just reliant on us putting a talented player into a defensive role each week - rotate the role for all I care. Feels like we destroy teams in there or we barely fire a shot which kills the back and forward lines.

- If he is physically ready be good to see Dawson the younger back at AFL level for a few games whether that is in the forward line again or tapping out for Comben and testing what he has learned this year that can be applied forward.

Love to see what people are looking for on a player to player level.

I'd like to roll Comden forward for a few games (in place of Pink) to see whether he can be the KPF we need.
The only worry I have is that it will be a wasted opportunity if we are playing more like the Sydney game. They starved our entries. Carlton & Geelong coming up which are potentially tough as well although I'm more confident with our ability to play Docklands better. Logue might be a touch early but we are running out of time to see it this year...

Last edited:

I'd like to roll Comden forward for a few games (in place of Pink) to see whether he can be the KPF we need.

I love Comben in defence and I was a huge supporter of this happening, but I’m not loving our forward structure and with Griff back, I wouldn’t mind seeing Charlie forward either.

The only worry I have is that it will be a wasted opportunity if we are playing more like the Sydney game. They starved our entries. Carlton & Geelong coming up which are potentially tough as well although I'm more confident with our ability to play Docklands better. Logue might be a touch early but we are running out of time to see it this year...
I love Comben in defence and I was a huge supporter of this happening, but I’m not loving our forward structure and with Griff back, I wouldn’t mind seeing Charlie forward either.

Agree with both of these. The trade-off is having Logue and Comden play a few games together to gel.

Bizarrely, we have surplus of tall and medium defenders so I think the potential benefit is worth it.

It will give us clarity heading into the draft and trade period about our list.

Agree with both of these. The trade-off is having Logue and Comden play a few games together to gel.

Bizarrely, we have surplus of tall and medium defenders so I think the potential benefit is worth it.

I know right? We went into the year with a defence that seemed almost non-existent, but at the moment that seems the least of our worries.

I still think that’s a lot on our midfield. When our pressure rating was high and the ball wasn’t going into the oppo’s forward 50 every 2 minutes, our defenders weren’t under so much pressure and therefore looked better.

Comben’s intercepting has been sublime though.

I’d love to see big X rest forward more often too. He’s a threat down there, he’s anything but a wobbly resting forward ruckman - seems to know how to play as a forward - can mark and can kick.

Are you doing that deliberately?

Yes, very good OP. Firstly I really hope we haven't hit the wall physically, and can actually run out the last 6 weeks well. Secondly, I'd like to see us try all the out of contract players we haven't made a decision on. Looking from the outside, I don't know if we intend to offer contracts to Harvey, Hansen Jr and Lazzaro. Personally, I'd give all of them at least 1 year deals.

From all reports Logue still looks weeks away from being match fit for the seniors. As much as I agree that it would be good to give him a 4 week block in the ones, I wouldn't rush him if he's not quite ready. Even if he plays the year out in VFL it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would still give him a good platform to launch from.

As for Comben forward or back I am torn. Part of me always thought this move was temporary and his marking is too good to waste in the backline. On the other hand, intercept marking is now a huge part of the game, and we have nobody better than him at it. And his goal kicking isn't great, so perhaps backline is his best position. To me it would also depend on whether Will Dawson can develop into a forward. We need one of them to play in the forward line next season, and Dawson maybe more ready for senior footy than we thought.

Would be good to find some answers this season and win at least 2 more games. Possibly 3.

Yes, very good OP. Firstly I really hope we haven't hit the wall physically, and can actually run out the last 6 weeks well.
I might be wrong but I'm pretty confident we're okay on this. We've had a very good year injury wise all things considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope to see some more of Hardeman and Dawson in the seniors soon, skillsets we can utilise, same for RHJ and Bergman.
Agree. Forgot about Hardeman. If he is fit and playing ok I'd like to see him get a couple and we "rest" a senior player down there. Perhaps be a good time after Logue has played 1-2 and back up to speed for senior experience.

Don’t like our chances v Carlton

But the last 5 games I think are all very winnable
Pretty much agree.

Looking at Carlton who need to win and will fancy themselves as a top 2 aspirant who want to win the whole thing.

I’d like improved effort from last week but reckon they’re a bridge too far.

Geelong are up and down I expect them to be pretty up against us. Dogs will be similar.

Reckon we roll the tiggers.

The really interesting one for mine is the last round. We will see how much they are playing for Clarko in the round.

I think we win and win well.

Mods can we start doing 1 day bans for people who spell Comben wrong?

Taking Notes Ryan The Office GIF by MOODMAN

The really interesting one for mine is the last round. We will see how much they are playing for Clarko in the round.

Good call, not much has been discussed on that last game. We will be looking to take some positive momentum into next year, Hawks might even be trying to break into the eight. Clarkson buy-in from the players will be tested. Could be a very wild game.

At least two more wins.

Don’t care against who, but taking a scalp would be nice.

If we're serious then we should really be knocking off the Eagles and Tigers, no questions asked. Would love to scalp the Blues but they'll unfortunately be out for blood like Sydney were. Dogs or Hawks, gettable?

At least two more wins.

Don’t care against who, but taking a scalp would be nice.

This plus one more. Eagles and Tigers for sure with one extra against a highly rated opponent who the media expect to belt us. Carlton will do this week. 🤞

Yes that will be an interesting one indeed. We haven't gotten close to them in a while

We need to prove the recent run of form is not a dead cat bounce. Let’s not forget Nobel had a similar run of form at the back end of 2021 where we won a few games and we were heralded the “best wooden spoon team in history”. Personally I don’t see any difference to the current run vs that 2021 run but I would like to hope I am wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Run Home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back