The Simon Black comparison...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rewboy

Senior List
Feb 1, 2001
South of Saigon.
I am sure you will all agree that Simon Black was a well deserved winner of the Brownlow. He is simply a wonderful footballer.

I noted with interest that he was selected at number 31 in the 1997 national draft - not a bad effort!!

It made me think who we drafted in the same year. We had a selection some 17, yes 17 picks earlier at number 14. We settled on a lad from the Ballarat Rebels named Shannon Watt.

I dont think I need to say anything else.

:eek: ---------------------------------------:eek:

"A stroke of pure genius"

everyone is looking for something different in the draft!

we are obviously shopping for a tall defender and hence drafter Watt.

Anyway, just give him one year under a new coach then SHOOT him if he doesnt pull his finger out.

Problem now is that a new coach will want different sorts of players to suit his game plan so we are going to need as many picks as possible, which also means lots of axe swinging.

Not only did we take Watt at 14, we took Brad Stephens at 27, and Paul McMahon at 30.

While we have picked up some gems late in the draft, it does make me want to cry.

Brownlow before his 100th game, midfield with 3 Brownlow medalists, oh my god.

Originally posted by jim440
How do you reckon we feel?

We traded that draft pick via the Swans for Simon Garlick.

yeah but you got Giansaricusa(however you spell it) with one we traded off... you win some you lose some...

Watt came to us as a CHF... would love to see him given a few games in a row there... he was supposed to go top 10... as well... we could have done worse and picked up Stewie Cochrane's Bitch... N.Stevens...

Originally posted by The Rewboy
I am sure you will all agree that Simon Black was a well deserved winner of the Brownlow. He is simply a wonderful footballer.

I noted with interest that he was selected at number 31 in the 1997 national draft - not a bad effort!!

It made me think who we drafted in the same year. We had a selection some 17, yes 17 picks earlier at number 14. We settled on a lad from the Ballarat Rebels named Shannon Watt.

I dont think I need to say anything else.

:eek: ---------------------------------------:eek:

"A stroke of pure genius"

i really like this guy, and i called that he was going to win it on another thread....i think he's the most valuable player in the league....

anyway....what's with us drafting all these freaking chf's and then playing them out of bloody position?!?!?!?

Simon Black

As I am not convinced that "bringing on" 17 & 18 year olds was not one of Pagan's strengths - in fact I suggest that Simon Black might have been better off missing out on the chance to get picked up by the Roos.

The development process is probably more important than the initial selection - all the draftees in the top 50 odd selections can play, it's just a matter of ensuring they are bought on properly.

With the exception of Petrie, why have our guys "apparently" failed to live up to expectations when other teams seem blessed with young talent?

That is the reason I do not believe that any of the young guns from our 2000 & 2001 Draft should be let go. If we get Laidley then I suspect that he will follow Malthouse procedure and spend a fair amount of energy on our very promising list of youngsters.

I reckon Petrie, Smith, Pratt & Harris are all going to be OK. Note, I am not yet convinced that Motlop Jnr has the necessary discipline to make it long term.

Of last years group - Hale is a real show, plus Crowe, Foote and Watson have shown enough to suggest there is something there.

Introduce Sofi and three or four others from this years draft and we could start a dynasty - as long as the right coach gets hold of them.

Brisbane have a bunch of "young guns" which were developed in Brisbane after being selected in the Draft - the club put the effort in and persisted (see Headland) and are now seeing the benefits.

I am looking forward to the new year and a fresh start for all the playing staff.

The eye watches!

Re: Simon Black

Originally posted by Eagle Eye
As I am not convinced that "bringing on" 17 & 18 year olds was not one of Pagan's strengths - in fact I suggest that Simon Black might have been better off missing out on the chance to get picked up by the Roos.

The development process is probably more important than the initial selection - all the draftees in the top 50 odd selections can play, it's just a matter of ensuring they are bought on properly.

With the exception of Petrie, why have our guys "apparently" failed to live up to expectations when other teams seem blessed with young talent?

That is the reason I do not believe that any of the young guns from our 2000 & 2001 Draft should be let go. If we get Laidley then I suspect that he will follow Malthouse procedure and spend a fair amount of energy on our very promising list of youngsters.

I reckon Petrie, Smith, Pratt & Harris are all going to be OK. Note, I am not yet convinced that Motlop Jnr has the necessary discipline to make it long term.

Of last years group - Hale is a real show, plus Crowe, Foote and Watson have shown enough to suggest there is something there.

Introduce Sofi and three or four others from this years draft and we could start a dynasty - as long as the right coach gets hold of them.

Brisbane have a bunch of "young guns" which were developed in Brisbane after being selected in the Draft - the club put the effort in and persisted (see Headland) and are now seeing the benefits.

I am looking forward to the new year and a fresh start for all the playing staff.

The eye watches!

agree with most of that...

I agree with the promotion of our young guys....under pagan their good form was not rewarded because he had his favourites...under the new coach there won't be any pre-concieved ideas and youngsters will be given a go.

Pratt is going to be a star when his leg injury bloody recovers
Harris is going to be a star when his back injuries subside 30 possessions in his second game is not a bad way to start if you ask me
D.Smith has yet to convince me that he's going to be anything special but he according to reports will be good
Petrie is going to be a star, if he isn't already at 19
D.Motlop has everything he needs to be a star already, just needs to get the attitude and desire there
Hale should be good once he bulks up
Haven't seen much of crowe but he's supposed to have a had a solid year, and was close to promotion on a couple of occasions
Watson didn't impress me much in the games I saw him play, but according to others has the skills to be the next boomer... good luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

simon black has become my favourite non roo player.

speaking through the pocket of course after backing him at $31 on August 1st. couldnt believe his price then and still cant. he is on a par with voss, thats how good he is.

In Simon Black's 3rd game of AFL football he tagged Paul Kelly. Even though he got thrashed that day, he probably learnt more about playing at the top level in 2 hours than most of the North youngsters have learnt in 2 years.

Unfortuately, I think Pagan was coaching for the present, and not the future as he should have been after the 2000 season. I wonder how Smith or Harris or Motlop would be progressing now if they had been given some serious jobs and some serious game time in their first handful of games.

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde
Unfortuately, I think Pagan was coaching for the present, and not the future as he should have been after the 2000 season.

It's very similar to what David Parkin did at Carlton. Both coaches took the attitude that they were coaching for a premiership this year, not rebuilding for rewards in 2 to 3 years time. Both coaches have made their kids earn their places in the side, but at the same time, both have taken on rejected players from other teams to fill in gaps.

I wonder how Smith or Harris or Motlop would be progressing now if they had been given some serious jobs and some serious game time in their first handful of games.

I was reading an article about Glenn Kilpatrick's retirement and he made the comment about the work ethic he learned under Pagan. I'm sure that our kids will flourish, but it will be hard for us to judge how much of a legacy Pagan has left with these kids. From the viewpoint of someone who supported what Pagan was trying to do, the benefit of holding the kids back was to 1. strengthen their bodies, 2. make sure that when they got a senior spot, they valued it, and 3. make sure that the work ethic to get that spot became second nature.

Re: Simon Black

Originally posted by Eagle Eye

The eye watches!
Agree with a lot of that. I am convinced that Denis Pagan set back what could have been a star North Melbourne player by now. Instead this guy has been wasted in the 2s and probably suffered a huge loss in confidence. He has injury problems now and we may never see what could have been or maybe we will have to suffer it in opposition.
Did anyone see Daniel Harris' onslaught to Senior football?
Around 30 possesions in his second match in a team that doesn't overuse the ball.
Pagan didn't like him so he didn't play.

Also Dylan Smith should be used as a tagger. It's how young blokes learn the trade. Cohcrane can go.

Re: Re: Simon Black

Originally posted by Angus1

Did anyone see Daniel Harris' onslaught to Senior football?
Around 30 possesions in his second match in a team that doesn't overuse the ball.
Pagan didn't like him so he didn't play.

I agree I thought that he would step up this year. We all had HUGE wraps on him at the start of the year, and it would be a shame to see him go somewhere else.

Hell, I even put him as my favourite player on my membership application!

Next year I want to see Harris start to help out Stevo in the in and under midfield role with a view to taking over in a year or 2 when Stevo can't do it anymore.

He didn't have much luck this season.

Pre-season form had earned him a place in the team, but he got the flu and had to pull out for round one. Then the team kept winning and he couldn't force his way back in.

When he got a chance against Melbourne, he did very well, but then suffered from the Pagan bench warming syndrome for the next few matches before being dropped.

Late season form was again hampered by a back injury.

Watch for him to step up next year under a new coach... the kid has class.

Originally posted by hurricane
He didn't have much luck this season.

Pre-season form had earned him a place in the team, but he got the flu and had to pull out for round one. Then the team kept winning and he couldn't force his way back in.

When he got a chance against Melbourne, he did very well, but then suffered from the Pagan bench warming syndrome for the next few matches before being dropped.

Late season form was again hampered by a back injury.

Watch for him to step up next year under a new coach... the kid has class.

this kid is my pick to be the main component of our engine room in the next few years....aaaaaalll class, all poise, needs to work on his kicking, but nough as nails, always in and under....way ahead of his team-mate d.smith...probably just behind petrie as our best performed draft pick of the last few years...

d.smith, d.motlop etc haven't really set the world of fire yet in the first team

Remove this Banner Ad

The Simon Black comparison...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back