The Smashing Pumpkins: a Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

22 - (Equal) Thirty-Three (Mellon Collie)

AND

One Diamond, One Heart (Oceania)

Impossible to split guys!:D

Thirty-Three has always taken me somewhere, meandering lyrics which are so sentimental as he takes stock of where he is in his life.

One Diamond, One Heart is a similar sounding song, a little bit anyway. The keyboards are totally overdone but it just works for this song, that cheesy 1980s feel. One of their (his) most feelgood songs.

21 - Pinwheels (Oceania - 2012)

This startling electronica/acoustic/pop rock number threatens to elevate Oceania to a whole new level when it comes on after One Diamond, One Heart.

It ultimately doesn't deliver on that, but gets extra points for being such an unusual song, even for SP. The first half or so in particular is just awesome, even upon first listen.

I look forward to seeing Adore represented.

Actually my favourite pumpkins album, I like all their albums 91-2000 actually.

I do think Adore has aged incredibly well and sounds fairly contemporary and seemed to predict where a lot of music would head with its electro acoustic tone. Was one of the earlier pro tools albums.

Ziegiest didn't do much for me and I haven't given the ones since a proper listen.

I look forward to seeing Adore represented.

Actually my favourite pumpkins album, I like all their albums 91-2000 actually.

I do think Adore has aged incredibly well and sounds fairly contemporary and seemed to predict where a lot of music would head with its electro acoustic tone. Was one of the earlier pro tools albums.

Ziegiest didn't do much for me and I haven't given the ones since a proper listen.
I totally agree. Adore has a very unique style which was unexpected upon release and ostracised many fans but it is a strong album and retrospectively sounds superb. The next pick is from Adore.

Zeitgeist didn't do much for me either.

Oceania is in my opinion their best album since Adore, slightly ahead of Machina. They both have 3 or 4 excellent songs but Machina has more poor songs.

I don't think Oceania was so good that it warranted SP touring it by playing the whole album before doing any other songs though! Bands should save that for absolutely classic albums like Pink Floyd have done.

I loved Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness as a jaded teenager 20 years ago (my God, is it that long already). I would have had Today a lot higher than #24, personally. One of my favourite songs from The Smashing Pumpkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 - A Song for a Son (Teargarden by Kaleidyscope - 2009)

Corgan's ongoing album project or whatever Teargarden is has some ok songs but this project opener is easily my favourite.

Dramatic but simple lyrics over piano that grab you on first listen building to my favourite part of the song - the epic duelling guitarists solo (i try not to remember that it's almost certainly Corgan playing both guitars in the recording!)

18 - Soma (Siamese Dream - 1993)

If you haven't listened to Siamese Dream or Soma for a long time, I urge you to at least listen to some of this song to remember just how awesomely awesome this album was!

Perhaps my favorite album of all time, if not top 5.

17 - Where Boys Fear to Tread (Mellon Collie - 1995)

The opening track to the second disc of Mellon Collie makes me think of some sort of Vampire world where the creatures hunt at night, like (and this is obscure) a soundtrack to a Brian Lumley novel.

But it's most well known for its awesome, haphazhard start before it launches into that killer bassline and guitar riff for the rest of the song.

Here it is live but the start is better on the album version (which is currently down on YouTube):

16 - Ava Adore (Adore - 1998)

We must never be apart!

I love the second half of this song in particular. The album version is fine but it's so much better with a real drummer. Seen it twice live and it absolutely rocks.

Darcy looks off the planet, funny and also completely awesome in this version:

15 - Bodies (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - 1995)

One of the more angry and anguished songs on this album. Track 2 of the second disc continues the pace of the opener and builds towards a fiery finish.

Someone did well with this clip over scenes from the movie Carrie:

My top ten:
1. Mayonnaise (clear number 1 for me)
2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
3. Rocket
4. Here is No Why
5. Where the Boys Fear to Tread
6. Cherub Rock
7. Rhinoceros
8. XYU
9. Muzzle
10. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Thats today. On any other day the following could've replaced some of the songs on the list:
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Soma
Ava Adore
Tear
The End is the Beginning is the End (slow version)
Geek USA
United States

My top ten:
1. Mayonnaise (clear number 1 for me)
2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
3. Rocket
4. Here is No Why
5. Where the Boys Fear to Tread
6. Cherub Rock
7. Rhinoceros
8. XYU
9. Muzzle
10. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Thats today. On any other day the following could've replaced some of the songs on the list:
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Soma
Ava Adore
Tear
The End is the Beginning is the End (slow version)
Geek USA
United States
I said at the start of the thread Cherub Rock would be a clear No.1 for me, but I totally forgot about Mayonaise. Great call. Your first top 10 is quality. I never liked Bullet so dont rate it at all.

Noone has mentioned Landslide. I know its a cover but it's brilliant, sirens in the background ect. Pisces is a very underated release. I cant split Siamese Dream, Pisces and Melon Collie. Just cant do it. BJC had an amazing creative period in that time.

14 - Here Is No Why (Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness - 1995)

In your sad machines,
You'll forever stay,
Desperate and Displeased
With whoever you are

I love love love this absolute corker from Mellon Collie so much. It cruises over its catchy riff until it just explodes towards its triumphant climax. The last half of this song is absolutely bang on.

This live version from 1996 is fantastic, and really showcases Corgan's skilful guitaring. Like I said in the OP they were at the absolute top of their game on the Mellon Collie tour before tragedy struck.

If you could have a time machine and go back to see one concert of your favourite band any time in their history, for SP it would be this tour for mine, would see it again in a heartbeat.

I never liked Bullet so dont rate it at all.

Noone has mentioned Landslide. I know its a cover but it's brilliant, sirens in the background ect. Pisces is a very underated release. I cant split Siamese Dream, Pisces and Melon Collie. Just cant do it. BJC had an amazing creative period in that time.
Yeah I'm with you. Had Bullet low also.

And yep I excluded Landslide as it's a cover, but it's a beautiful version and I love it also. It would've been top 10 for mine, around 6-8.

I think the sirens in the background was actually on another Pisces song, the opener "Soothe"

13 - Starla (Pisces Iscariot - 1994, originally the B side to "I Am One" - 1992)

No more words just you and I, high in the sky

Speaking of Pisces.....Pisces Iscariot was a collection of B sides and outtakes released between the titanic Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie albums. Has a more intimate and raw feel to it and despite its various sources is very cohesive.

Starla's a massive, epic song, that would fit comfortably on Siamese Dream but for its enormous length. I love its dreamy feel - like you're floating through space, and the acoustic interlude in the middle before its big piercing guitar finale is magic.

Watch at least the last few minutes of this live version. The solo's insane, culminating in Corgan pulling his guitar apart on stage (and it still sounds good!)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Smashing Pumpkins: a Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back