The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people know if the timber is inside or outside the plastic roof? ..... Many are saying it's exposed to the elements and will rott overtime potentially causing it to collapse.

Will David Foster and his son get the contract to chop the timber down for the roof beams?

Couldn't get any more Tasmanian than that.

It's interesting how they originally said the stadium could easily be increased to 40,000 but that has now dropped to 30,000. I can only assume they realised it wasn't going to be possible to do it which is dissapoiting because I think 40,000 potentially would be needed in the future.

It's interesting to see Canberra expects to build a 30,000 all seater roofed stadium for approximately $500 to $800 million. I know many think this stadium is going to cost $1 billion or more but I personally I think $750 million is still a good chance.

It's a mixture of timber and steel.
Yep it will be a combo.

This has shades of University of Oregon's redeveloped of Hayward Field - home of US Track and Field and made famous by Nike co-founder and long time US Olympic athletics coach Bill Bowerman.

One of his pupils in the 50's and 60's was Nike CEO Phil Knight and thru his foundation he donated most of the $270m USD needed to do the redevelopment between 2018 and 2020.

Knight had several fights with the University and architects and design team and pulled out, went back, pulled out and finally went back and said he would back the project, because he said without Bill Bowerman and Hayward Field, there would be no Nike, so in the end he agreed to fund a significant amount of it, provided he could have a significant input, and make sure Bill Bowerman gets properly recognised. There is a statue of Bill and a Bill Bowerman building at the stadium.

It hosted the World Athletics Championship in 2022 and the last 4 or 5 US Olympic trials have been run there, the last 2 at the new stadium. It permanently has almost 13,000 seats and temporary seating for the World Championships took it up to 28,000.

Its the first athletics only major stadium in the world, not a multi-purpose stadium, its a 9 lane track and because all the jumping events are held inside the track and not the outside of the track, the first row of spectators are effectively sitting in Lane 10 in the grandstand portion of the stadium. The state of Oregon is famous for its timber industry, so wood was a significant part of the design.

Mass timber was selected to showcase Oregon’s history, culture and timber industry. More than 462 Douglas Fir glulam structural wood pieces were used to create 77 unique curves, each containing six pieces of bent wood. The iconic wooden roof canopy was sourced by Western Archrib and protected with Sansin’s low-VOC architectural finishes.

Hayward Field renovation was designed by SRG Partnership in order to include a new grandstand built with glulam beams supporting an ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) canopy.

"We decided to go with a single layer of ETFE and stretch it taught, so it becomes kind of a diaphanous, simple form that sits on this solid masonry base."

1720689672271.png

1720688941638.png

1720689291866.png

Do people know if the timber is inside or outside the plastic roof? ..... Many are saying it's exposed to the elements and will rott overtime potentially causing it to collapse.
Inside from what I've seen.

And I'm 100% sure they will "sufficiently" pull crowds for any entertainment offered up in the stadium.

I think Alastair Richardson was rather amused by desperate criticisms of the design (which insinuate he must be terrible at his job), none more so than the question of wood as if it's a newfangled unproven material, see 15.30:

"Timber in the right environment, when kept dry, is incredibly resilient. There are timber buildings which are hundreds and hundreds of years old… Because the timber is indoor and not exposed to the weather, it absolutely will last."
I guess some people must've thought the lights were going to be situated on the outside of the roof too!

It's interesting how they originally said the stadium could easily be increased to 40,000 but that has now dropped to 30,000. I can only assume they realised it wasn't going to be possible to do it which is dissapoiting because I think 40,000 potentially would be needed in the future.
The footprint ensures the concourse etc will still be big enough for a 40k venue. It just sounds like leaving more than 6-7 rows worth of space up top was going to be too expensive, and also ruin the height profile of the roof.

But consider this: if there's enough room to add 7,000 seats, there's enough room to instead add approx. 14,000 "safe standing" spaces (which means theoretically the matchday capacity could be lifted to 37k).

I think Alastair Richardson was rather amused by desperate criticisms of the design (which insinuate he must be terrible at his job), none more so than the question of wood as if it's a newfangled unproven material, see 15.30:

I guess some people must've thought the lights were going to be situated on the outside of the roof too!

The footprint ensures the concourse etc will still be big enough for a 40k venue. It just sounds like leaving more than 6-7 rows worth of space up top was going to be too expensive, and also ruin the height profile of the roof.

But consider this: if there's enough room to add 7,000 seats, there's enough room to instead add approx. 14,000 "safe standing" spaces (which means theoretically the matchday capacity could be lifted to 37k).

I must say a bit of standing room would be good for those that don't want to pay for a seat. I have seen a lot of people question the designer on soo many things with some saying they don't trust him and stuff along those lines.

Check out the latest image from Cox Architecture's on how stadium will look from waterfront THEN check out "Our Place" (anti-stadium group) rendition of same image.

The "Our Place" bunch of twits just can't help themselves. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check out the latest image from Cox Architecture's on how stadium will look from waterfront THEN check out "Our Place" (anti-stadium group) rendition of same image.

Definitely a big difference. The antis are definitely doing everything they can to deceive the public.

Definitely a big difference. The antis are definitely doing everything they can to deceive the public.
They sure are but they must like egg on their face because that's all they're achieving. :laughing:

How to oppose Stadium construction

Step 1: commission your own rendering
Step 2: complain about the impact of your own vision

Seriously.

Funny how we are venerating Victorian buildings when they didn’t give to hoots about what was there before

And part of the improvement is moving a sewerage farm out.

Wasn’t that disrespectful to the cenotaph?

Do people honestly think the Stadium will pass the POSS because a lot of people think no way will it pass it. Many are saying if does pass it then it means it's corrupt,what are peoples opinions on this?...... Looking at comments on social media yesterday after the picture was released of the view behind the historic buildings it was evident to see that a large amount of comments were negative towards the stadium. I really worry that a majority of the local population doesn't support it,many supporters are saying they are the minority but I honestly don't think that's true.

Do people honestly think the Stadium will pass the POSS because a lot of people think no way will it pass it. Many are saying if does pass it then it means it's corrupt,what are peoples opinions on this?...... Looking at comments on social media yesterday after the picture was released of the view behind the historic buildings it was evident to see that a large amount of comments were negative towards the stadium. I really worry that a majority of the local population doesn't support it,many supporters are saying they are the minority but I honestly don't think that's true.
Who knows. We have a large 'Green' group in Hobart city. They oppose just about anything. Its generally the inner city, Battery point, SOHO, WOHO clique. I remember the noise over the Marine board building. Built in 1972 on the waterfront, covered in Italian marble. They want to live in a museum & stuff other people & jobs. These days they oppose units, the UTAS move, the cable car, & now this.
Once these old dinosaurs die out, the next gen won't even notice it. They'll enjoy it.
Onward & upwards with telling the social & economic benefits of at least some progress.

Who knows. We have a large 'Green' group in Hobart city. They oppose just about anything. Its generally the inner city, Battery point, SOHO, WOHO clique. I remember the noise over the Marine board building. Built in 1972 on the waterfront, covered in Italian marble. They want to live in a museum & stuff other people & jobs. These days they oppose units, the UTAS move, the cable car, & now this.
Once these old dinosaurs die out, the next gen won't even notice it. They'll enjoy it.
Onward & upwards with telling the social & economic benefits of at least some progress.

They should try living in Victorian times they’d have been told where to go, yet any old bit of Victorian tat they go to the barricades to protect.

Some is worth preserving. Most isn’t

It’s like the tudor buildings in England. Regulations say they must be painted black and white. Which is not the original colours they were painted in

I think you need to understand, "It's a DONE deal".

We are way further along the journey than many know.....

watching recent pressers - there are earthworks going on in the background

has early site prep work started or unrelated?

The Stadium!

Back