The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you think will get the government to reconsider their position on Stadium 2.0?

I don't know. The argument for 2.0 is getting stronger from those who see the figures. Even those who were against the original stadium as it was 12 months ago have been impressed with the planning & financials of 2.0
1.0 doesn't even have a design nor any feasible basis for proper costing as yet.
The 2.0 proponents are waiting for 1.0 to put a design & costings/finances up for the same scrutiny they have had put on their plan.
We all need to see the comparison ASAP, & the opinions of those with the suitable finance & building qualifications. Not just the opinion of politicians.

How many games per season will be played here? And, what else will it be used for?
This is what the business case claimed:

1718241098037.png

Everything except for the Footy and Cricket (which if anything is unders, BBL game averages would be at least 15,000 one would think) is highly unrealistic. There's not going to be an annual turnout of over 25,000 people for Rugby Union games.

Reserves team VFL games will get more people through the gate than most of these.

Last edited:

View attachment 2018367

Everything except for the Footy and Cricket (which if anything is unders, BBL game averages would be at least 15,000 one would think) is highly realistic. There's not going to be an annual turnout of over 25,000 people for Rugby Union games.

Reserves team VFL games will get more people through the gate than most of these.
Thanks, interesting. Is there a reason why the proposed 'high performance center' can't be located at the stadium?

Thanks, interesting. Is there a reason why the proposed 'high performance center' can't be located at the stadium?
Presumably the main stadium will be out of action for training and some AFLW/VFL/VFLW games if they are going to get the concerts, events and other sports that they're claiming to justify the cost for the stadium anyway. That, and cheaper costs for potential future expansion.

The High Performance centre is expected to be voted on soon with the deadline today closing and the petition collecting over the 1000 signatures required to hold a vote.

View attachment 2018367

Everything except for the Footy and Cricket (which if anything is unders, BBL game averages would be at least 15,000 one would think) is highly unrealistic. There's not going to be an annual turnout of over 25,000 people for Rugby Union games.

Developers always tend to paint a rosy forecast of things to come and in this case Tasmania could be left with an expensive stadium that's empty for 330 days a year.
Halve all those attendance figures, double the expected amount it will be built for and I'll be onboard.

Developers always tend to paint a rosy forecast of things to come and in this case Tasmania could be left with an expensive stadium that's empty for 330 days a year.
Halve all those attendance figures, double the expected amount it will be built for and I'll be onboard.
MacPoint Stadium 1.0 design, cost & income streams are still unknown. MacPoint Stadium 2.0 has detailed design drawings, set cost to the taxpayer & detailed income streams. It is fully backed financially. So it's a matter of time to see what position Government will pursue.

MacPoint Stadium 1.0 design, cost & income streams are still unknown. MacPoint Stadium 2.0 has detailed design drawings, set cost to the taxpayer & detailed income streams. It is fully backed financially. So it's a matter of time to see what position Government will pursue.
Having worked on the Mac Point conceptualization, through my facilities and grounds role (I was an "advisor" up until the last few months) I cannot see the government supporting 2.0, for reasons that have been already been noted in the media cycle and others that haven't been voiced as yet.

Time will tell.

A matter of time? It's been knocked back like 3 times now.

Fully backed financially? By who? We've never been told

No public funding, no land, no approvals, no AFL support and a ton of flaws which have been detailed.

Its not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A matter of time? It's been knocked back like 3 times now.

Fully backed financially? By who? We've never been told

No public funding, no land, no approvals, no AFL support and a ton of flaws which have been detailed.

Its not happening.
2 posts in 5 years!!! You really are invested in footy aren't you. ;)
We shall see. Its the clear economic favorite at this stage. Stadium 1.0 is still a mystery. We know where, just not when & how.
The politics is getting played out as we speak.
I hope commonsense prevails.

The Examiner are a disgrace. Pure & simple.
Indeed they are, my family were on the receiving end of their lack of decency many decades back, so I know from experience.

And they were no better after the Bondi stabbing a few months back. One of the victims was the daughter of Tasmanian footballer Kerry Good (who played for NM).

What was the headline on the Examiner front page the Monday following? "Good's grief". A weak, tasteless pun.

The greens have joined with the RSL to draw up legislation that will stop the building of anything around the cenotaph which means the stadium won't be able to be built in it's proposed location. This is potentially a big threat to Mac 1 and could seriously lead to Mac point being the only option,very interesting times ahead.

2 posts in 5 years!!! You really are invested in footy aren't you. ;)
We shall see. Its the clear economic favorite at this stage. Stadium 1.0 is still a mystery. We know where, just not when & how.
The politics is getting played out as we speak.
I hope commonsense prevails.
The concept designs for Mac 1 are supposed to be completed by mid-2024, so must be no longer than a few weeks away.

The greens have joined with the RSL to draw up legislation that will stop the building of anything around the cenotaph which means the stadium won't be able to be built in its proposed location. This is potentially a big threat to Mac 1 and could seriously lead to Mac point being the only option,very interesting times ahead.
The Greens can go ahead and draft a bill, but it doesn’t mean that it will get any support from the major parties. Legislation drafted from opposition parties is rarely passed. It’s just another example of the Greens and RSL trying to get publicity again, so they can demonstrate to their supporters that they’re still trying to push back against the stadium.

The greens have joined with the RSL to draw up legislation that will stop the building of anything around the cenotaph which means the stadium won't be able to be built in it's proposed location. This is potentially a big threat to Mac 1 and could seriously lead to Mac point being the only option,very interesting times ahead.
Greens legislation with 5 seats in Parliament. Really!!:)
That silliness apart, I think Macpoint 2.0 is the way to go.

What was the headline on the Examiner front page the Monday following? "Good's grief". A weak, tasteless pun.
How on earth did they think that was the headline they should run with? Disgusting.

Should be next week sometime then …
Article in the paper today saying its one to two weeks away.
1718950436488.png

How on earth did they think that was the headline they should run with? Disgusting.

Article in the paper today saying its one to two weeks away.
View attachment 2025614
About time.
We'll they be able to properly assess the competing stadium proposals.
MacPoint 1.0 Building a decent stadium within budget. With Income streams spelled out to pay for the ultimate cost.
MacPoint 2.0 A Private Public Partnership (PPP) with a guaranteed maximum Public input of $715million & risk on the Private investor side.
I'm looking forward to see the debate/discussion.

About time.
We'll they be able to properly assess the competing stadium proposals.
MacPoint 1.0 Building a decent stadium within budget. With Income streams spelled out to pay for the ultimate cost.
MacPoint 2.0 A Private Public Partnership (PPP) with a guaranteed maximum Public input of $715million & risk on the Private investor side.
I'm looking forward to see the debate/discussion.
May the best design win! :)

Back