The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People are saying that the Plenary group recently withdrew their interest in part funding of the stadium,has anyone heard anything about this?

Probably the biggest crowd for an afl game in 4 or so years down Hobart by the looks of it. It's shows you the difference between hosting games against GWS for example to hosting the Victorian teams that have big supporter bases here,I wonder what sort of numbers will turn out for the west coast game.

Official crowd of 10,045 in Hobart today.The first crowd over 10,000 in about 5 years,but considering all seats were sold i still find it a bit dissapointing.

I asked for the source myself but they just said the government announced it recently.

I must say they are taking a while to open up the bidding process they said would start shortly though.
I've gone through the media releases for the Tas Government, Plenary group's media releases, as well as googling a number of terms in order to find any reference to this. I found nothing except the opposite.

Call me cynical but looking at your join date in combination with your posting history, one might conclude you're not being genuine in your comments. Your focus is clearly on any perceived negativity about the stadium, attendances or finances.

To then make a comment to the effect of a major equity firm pulling out and not providing a source, certainly raises my eyebrows in that context.

I asked for the source myself but they just said the government announced it recently.

I must say they are taking a while to open up the bidding process they said would start shortly though.
I can assure you I’m following the stadium issue and debate extremely closely and speak to high level in the knows fairly regularly. I have heard nothing of the sort regarding Plenary or other private backers withdrawing interest.

In fact it’s only grown with Tetris and WeBuild also reportedly interested.

I’d expect an EOI process to commence after PoSS process begins.

I've gone through the media releases for the Tas Government, Plenary group's media releases, as well as googling a number of terms in order to find any reference to this. I found nothing except the opposite.

Call me cynical but looking at your join date in combination with your posting history, one might conclude you're not being genuine in your comments. Your focus is clearly on any perceived negativity about the stadium, attendances or finances.

To then make a comment to the effect of a major equity firm pulling out and not providing a source, certainly raises my eyebrows in that context.
I'm sorry if you believe that but I can assure you I'm fully pro stadium. I was talking online yesterday with an individual that believes private investors will not touch the stadium and that the premier apparently had recently said an investor had recently pulled out.

I can assure you I’m following the stadium issue and debate extremely closely and speak to high level in the knows fairly regularly. I have heard nothing of the sort regarding Plenary or other private backers withdrawing interest.

In fact it’s only grown with Tetris and WeBuild also reportedly interested.

I’d expect an EOI process to commence after PoSS process begins.
That's good to hear but the POSS process has been underway for some time already and is expected to be completed around mid next year.

I'm sorry if you believe that but I can assure you I'm fully pro stadium. I was talking online yesterday with an individual that believes private investors will not touch the stadium and that the premier apparently had recently said an investor had recently pulled out.
Respectfully, your "individual" has absolutely know idea!

In bold, is 100% incorrect!

Just let it all unfold....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They believe they won't touch it because the governments own business case shows it will run at a loss.

I think it's time to admit the people you are talking to are not deserving of the platform you are giving them by posting their views here.

The profit or loss of the precinct isn't even inherently related to the viability of private investment in to public projects. Private equity will seek to secure annualised returns consistent with the level of risk and market conditions.

What that looks like isn't even remotely close to being worked out. There's a million different things that could be included as part of the investment package outside of cash itself, and certainly outside of revenue generated by the precinct.

The one constant is that a state can't go defunct and default on the investment. This represents significantly lower risk compared to typical private investment.

The big teams go to the Gold Coast and GWS and the afl has made it clear all teams will have to play in Tasmania.
I'd think they'd all like to play in such an innovative facility. I think a lot of supporters would take the trip too. Me thinks 23,000 really isn't enough for either this or UTas.
They should learn from the NBL JJ's Basketball here.

I think it's time to admit the people you are talking to are not deserving of the platform you are giving them by posting their views here.

The profit or loss of the precinct isn't even inherently related to the viability of private investment in to public projects. Private equity will seek to secure annualised returns consistent with the level of risk and market conditions.

What that looks like isn't even remotely close to being worked out. There's a million different things that could be included as part of the investment package outside of cash itself, and certainly outside of revenue generated by the precinct.

The one constant is that a state can't go defunct and default on the investment. This represents significantly lower risk compared to typical private investment.

Not to mention that its partnering with the AFL in a long term contract - an AFL that has in 130 years only ever lost two teams, has backed several others through multiple bankruptcies and license repossessions. Between the Government and the AFL, there isnt a better sporting partnership to be had in the country

Not to mention that its partnering with the AFL in a long term contract - an AFL that has in 130 years only ever lost two teams, has backed several others through multiple bankruptcies and license repossessions. Between the Government and the AFL, there isnt a better sporting partnership to be had in the country
Definitely make some good points. I have heard so many say no investor will touch it and it's got no interest. The amount of anti people in Tasmania must be more than anywhere else in the country from what I have seen.

Do people know what sort of added cost bringing bands over the Bass Strait would be ?....... Many say they won't come here simply because of having to get across the sea and said this is why comparing us to Townsville that recently pulled Pink is not a good comparison.

Do people know what sort of added cost bringing bands over the Bass Strait would be ?....... Many say they won't come here simply because of having to get across the sea and said this is why comparing us to Townsville that recently pulled Pink is not a good comparison.
I don't know the exact cost of transporting bands over, but it will come down to how many tickets can be sold for the artist to make a profit.
25 to 28k seats with potentally another 7k standing will ensure tassie can attract big name performers. U2 played in Suncorp to 40k.
As an different example...Its cheaper for a kit home company in Melbourne to transport a kit home to Hobart than it is to Brissie.

I love live music and footy, a roofed stadium will give us that opportunity.

I don't know the exact cost of transporting bands over, but it will come down to how many tickets can be sold for the artist to make a profit.
25 to 28k seats with potentally another 7k standing will ensure tassie can attract big name performers. U2 played in Suncorp to 40k.
As an different example...Its cheaper for a kit home company in Melbourne to transport a kit home to Hobart than it is to Brissie.

I love live music and footy, a roofed stadium will give us that opportunity.
I think we may attract 2 or 3 a year but not the 8 in the business case. A lot will just likely do more concerts in Melbourne than come to Tasmania but I know some also travel by plane.

I think we may attract 2 or 3 a year but not the 8 in the business case. A lot will just likely do more concerts in Melbourne than come to Tasmania but I know some also travel by plane.
The quality & inbuilt facilities in the stadium may well be the deciding factor with a lot of performers. Listening to the Stadium 2.0 pitch in regard to this, the facility design in so far as setting up before & removing equipment after, has a huge cost bearing. ie if it takes 5-6 days to set up then 3 to pull down, versus a good facility that takes 2 days to set up & 1 day to pull down, that makes a huge cost difference for a performer to make the decision on coming or not.
I'm sure the proponents of the stadium will have this in mind. Thus the new stadium may well be a good attraction for more International performers than we yet realise.
Fingers crossed :)

The quality & inbuilt facilities in the stadium may well be the deciding factor with a lot of performers. Listening to the Stadium 2.0 pitch in regard to this, the facility design in so far as setting up before & removing equipment after, has a huge cost bearing. ie if it takes 5-6 days to set up then 3 to pull down, versus a good facility that takes 2 days to set up & 1 day to pull down, that makes a huge cost difference for a performer to make the decision on coming or not.
I'm sure the proponents of the stadium will have this in mind. Thus the new stadium may well be a good attraction for more International performers than we yet realise.
Fingers crossed :)
Fully agree and I don't think some of the anti's realise how much of an advantage having a roof will give us when attracting bands.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back