The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No. 2.0 has Hotel, Apartments, Private Hospital & underground parking associated with it, All of which is what the big investors want to back. Facilities that Hobart could well do with. Its precisely why the Hobart city council unanimously support it, as well as local businesses. The extra facilities are what gives the stadium an income stream to pay the investment off over 30 years or less. Its why it creates many more jobs & makes it an overall better economic proposition.
The Stadium part has a guarantee limiting Government input at the $750million. The 'risk' is taken by the private investors. Its a classic public private partnership.
The government is also working towards a public private partnership with big interest so far from investors.

A dissapointing crowd of 6,619 in Hobart today. I'm interested to know if people think the government will renew the deal next year or decide it's not really a good deal for the state considering we get mostly low drawing games that bring in few tourists.

A dissapointing crowd of 6,619 in Hobart today. I'm interested to know if people think the government will renew the deal next year or decide it's not really a good deal for the state considering we get mostly low drawing games that bring in few tourists.
North vs WC even in Melbourne wouldn’t pull a crowd. Always been a waste to have North vs a Perth side.

You're saying it's disappointing because? What crowd target did you expect us to reach? I thought it was a good crowd, especially considering it was WC. CT only expected 5k....

Half the crowd were WC supporters? Absolute rubbish!!!

You're saying it's disappointing because? What crowd target did you expect us to reach? I thought it was a good crowd, especially considering it was WC. CT only expected 5k....

Half the crowd were WC supporters? Absolute rubbish!!!
I just don't see the point In extending the north deal next year because very tourists would come in for these games and I don't expect the teams playing here will likely change.

I just don't see the point In extending the north deal next year because very tourists would come in for these games and I don't expect the teams playing here will likely change.
The North deal will be "extended" as you call it, on a season by season basis, as will Hawthorn.

Mac Point won’t fail. TCA and Domain are more problematic than Mac Point and Regatta Point. This is the summary of the site selection report that was undertaken before Mac Point was even chosen. As you can see, those other sites didn’t even come close.
It is rare for any consultants report to come up with a result different from the one the person paying for the report wants.
(I do think Mac Point is the right location and it will be built, but if a fatal flaw comes to light an alternative would be found & a consultants report will support it.)
Whenever you see an "independant consultants" report remember that.

No. 2.0 has Hotel, Apartments, Private Hospital & underground parking associated with it, All of which is what the big investors want to back. Facilities that Hobart could well do with. Its precisely why the Hobart city council unanimously support it, as well as local businesses. The extra facilities are what gives the stadium an income stream to pay the investment off over 30 years or less. Its why it creates many more jobs & makes it an overall better economic proposition.
The Stadium part has a guarantee limiting Government input at the $750million. The 'risk' is taken by the private investors. Its a classic public private partnership.
I dont believe 2.0 would ever deliver what the developers are promising. I dont believe in unicorns either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the debate currently about whether the stadium would be able to attract big bands I'm Interested to know if people have any ideas of what the approximate expenses are to bring acts over on the ferry. Many have said they won't come because of this,so I wonder if the government could look at helping with this if it could attract some bands.

With all the debate currently about whether the stadium would be able to attract big bands I'm Interested to know if people have any ideas of what the approximate expenses are to bring acts over on the ferry. Many have said they won't come because of this,so I wonder if the government could look at helping with this if it could attract some bands.
I heard a few interviews with Geoff Jones, the head of TEG, and one of the interesting points was that Tasmania is no more or less expensive to get to than Townsville and Perth.

While you have to pay to get trucks on the boat, this is offset by not having to pay for fuel to drive them while they are on the water.

I heard a few interviews with Geoff Jones, the head of TEG, and one of the interesting points was that Tasmania is no more or less expensive to get to than Townsville and Perth.

While you have to pay to get trucks on the boat, this is offset by not having to pay for fuel to drive them while they are on the water.
Freight equalisation exists between the mainland & here. As long as the stadium has well appointed audiovisual equipment & makes the setting up & pulling down after events efficient as possible, costs will be much reduced. All that therefore makes the putting on of large events at MacPoint, more economical & thus appealing to Promoters.

Obviously Perth has the population on its side though.

Its not a contest, but we will have basically a 30,000 indoor facility that is weather proof so as not to scare misinformed promoters off.
I know that Tasmania has had many sold out gigs buy I have also heard that music events have also been cancelled in Tasmania due to not attracting big enough numbers,do you know if this is the case?

I know that Tasmania has had many sold out gigs buy I have also heard that music events have also been cancelled in Tasmania due to not attracting big enough numbers,do you know if this is the case?
No idea of actual numbers. The falls festival was huge & now gone. However I see gigs have been cancelled everywhere across the country. Byron Bay being the latest big one.

No idea of actual numbers. The falls festival was huge & now gone. However I see gigs have been cancelled everywhere across the country. Byron Bay being the latest big one.
My concern is that if we get mostly mid tier bands are they going to get a big enough crowd that makes it worth using the stadium. I noticed the promoter recently saying he would bring Iron Maiden to the stadium and he thinks it could pull 12,000 odd but from people I have talked to they think that is the type of band that would struggle to fill My State Bank Arena.

My State Bank Arena currently has five music gigs scheduled for there over the next year but apart from Cold Chisel that sold out out in minutes the others are not sold out and possibly won't sell out. This shows you that all these bands that don't sell out quickly are not going to be suitable to be held at the stadium.

I think mid tier bands are not going to get crowds big enough for the stadium so it means we will have to get either big bands like Cold Chisel to get a decent crowd there or massive acts like Pink or Ed Sheeran to sell it out.

My concern is that if we get mostly mid tier bands are they going to get a big enough crowd that makes it worth using the stadium. I noticed the promoter recently saying he would bring Iron Maiden to the stadium and he thinks it could pull 12,000 odd but from people I have talked to they think that is the type of band that would struggle to fill My State Bank Arena.

My State Bank Arena currently has five music gigs scheduled for there over the next year but apart from Cold Chisel that sold out out in minutes the others are not sold out and possibly won't sell out. This shows you that all these bands that don't sell out quickly are not going to be suitable to be held at the stadium.

I think mid tier bands are not going to get crowds big enough for the stadium so it means we will have to get either big bands like Cold Chisel to get a decent crowd there or massive acts like Pink or Ed Sheeran to sell it out.
I worked in the music industry for 17 years, started off as an area manager for Brashs, then Sanity (horrible company to work for, absolute shit show!), then moved to Polygram/UMG. I met some incredible people over that time, and still have many an existing friendship with some of the acts I met along the way (Jim Kerr, John Mellencamp and Eddie Vedder are ripping blokes!), I absolutely love my music!

So respectfully Mr Tassie, what is an example of a "mid-tier" band for you?

I get frustrated when people suggest Swift, Sheeran and Coldplay (as band examples), that will play the Stadium.... they're incredibly unrealistic examples. But you're on the money with Pink and I'd chuck in Fooie's, Springsteen, The Killers and Pearl Jam. The other thing Mac Point Stadium does, is create certainty in whoever plays because of the roof (as someone mentioned earlier), no wash outs! Their are many many acts and events "Events Tasmania or Stadiums Tasmania", for want of better organisations, could target.... the roof is the key.

PS: I'm pretty sure Geoff was underestimating what kind of a crowd Iron Maiden would pull 🤘 😆

I worked in the music industry for 17 years, started off as an area manager for Brashs, then Sanity (horrible company to work for, absolute shit show!), then moved to Polygram/UMG. I met some incredible people over that time, and still have many an existing friendship with some of the acts I met along the way (Jim Kerr, John Mellencamp and Eddie Vedder are ripping blokes!), I absolutely love my music!

So respectfully Mr Tassie, what is an example of a "mid-tier" band for you?

I get frustrated when people suggest Swift, Sheeran and Coldplay (as band examples), that will play the Stadium.... they're incredibly unrealistic examples. But you're on the money with Pink and I'd chuck in Fooie's, Springsteen, The Killers and Pearl Jam. The other thing Mac Point Stadium does, is create certainty in whoever plays because of the roof (as someone mentioned earlier), no wash outs! Their are many many acts and events "Events Tasmania or Stadiums Tasmania", for want of better organisations, could target.... the roof is the key.

PS: I'm pretty sure Geoff was underestimating what kind of a crowd Iron Maiden would pull 🤘 😆
I would ****ing love to go and see the Killers at Mac Point.

I bet they'd get Jack back up on stage too.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back