The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The government said a couple months ago when the stadium design was revealed that they would be opening up a bidding process for potential investors shortly

I’ll side with you here, because I believe you’re referring to an EOI process that the Government is planning to open up for private backers.

I’d say that’s going to happen after the stadium is lodged into the PoSS.

Unless something has changed, then I’d expect interest from the Plenary Group and Tetris capital at the least.

I’ll side with you here, because I believe you’re referring to an EOI process that the Government is planning to open up for private backers.

I’d say that’s going to happen after the stadium is lodged into the PoSS.

Unless something has changed, then I’d expect interest from the Plenary Group and Tetris capital at the least.
That's what I'm talking about and i also know of at least 3 other investors that have enquired about it.

Do we think the independent review into the states finances will effect the stadium build?

God it’s bleak.
I don't think so because it is only putting $375 million in to it and I think they will argue the stadium is needed to inject money in to the economy during these dire times. I honestly can't see a government walking away from the afl team that they have been trying to get for such a long time.

Do we think the independent review into the states finances will effect the stadium build?

God it’s bleak.
It's bleak, but it's also not new information as such.

The review just spells it out in a black and white fashion, whereas previously the can has always been kicked down the road. We've seen discussions on how reliant Tasmania is on getting more than its fair share of federal tax dividends for decades.

It's expensive living on an island, and we don't produce enough to organically offset that cost.

Increasing mining royalties is the easy go to short term option to give us a small boost, but obviously we need to be careful not to overplay our hand.

Hydro's battery of the nation program has potential but is also riddled with roadblocks with no easy path forward.

Personally what I'd love to see and what I hope to communicate to the state government soon, is for Tasmania to make a play to become a powerhouse in the ICT data centre market.

Hydro supplies renewable energy offsetting data centre greenhouse emissions. Tasmania's naturally cool climate assists in managing the heat aspect of data centres, reducing energy requirements further. Lastly, the ability to locate data centres in areas considerably more remote than our mainland counterparts provides security benefits for protected environments such as the upcoming Department of Defence's Top Secret cloud infrastructure.

Latency between the North of the state and Victoria is minimal especially with modern backhauls between major city centres.

Industry value is expected to rise to 7 Billion by 2029

It was interesting to see local win sports reporter Brent Costelloe come our the other day and say he thinks we would likely get a test every season because of the roof stadium. I honestly can't see us stealing a test from one of the other big cities, so it would only happen if they increased the number of tests to 6 a season. Do people think we would likely see much test cricket with the new stadium or would it just be the odd test against low teams like currently but perhaps a little more often?

It was interesting to see local win sports reporter Brent Costelloe come our the other day and say he thinks we would likely get a test every season because of the roof stadium. I honestly can't see us stealing a test from one of the other big cities, so it would only happen if they increased the number of tests to 6 a season. Do people think we would likely see much test cricket with the new stadium or would it just be the odd test against low teams like currently but perhaps a little more often?
That was just ridiculous. I actually don’t like the thought of roofed tests.

There is a great chance tests will be played at new stadium. At least every 2 years I would think. But that depends on quality of the pitches & playing environment. If either of those is a problem we might see it fizzle out after 1 or 2 tries
What do I mean by playing environment? Heat, if it gets too hot for players or spectators in long hours of sunshine it will not work. That is down to having ventilation / air circulation / air cooling that works. (there is a lot of very cold water just outside the stadium that can be used to cool the air inside).

There is a great chance tests will be played at new stadium. At least every 2 years I would think. But that depends on quality of the pitches & playing environment. If either of those is a problem we might see it fizzle out after 1 or 2 tries
What do I mean by playing environment? Heat, if it gets too hot for players or spectators in long hours of sunshine it will not work. That is down to having ventilation / air circulation / air cooling that works. (there is a lot of very cold water just outside the stadium that can be used to cool the air inside).
which major city do you think would lose their test match or do you think they will have 6 test summers again?

Stadium earnt the approval of Cricket Australia following negotiations over the height of the roof. With that sorted, all that would need to happen is a number of Sheffield Shield trial games to ascertain whether or not the stadium can host multi-day red ball cricket.

I suspect it could as its been designed with that in mind. I also think the move to roofed tests isnt a far cry. After all, we've seen the 5 day game evolve to include night cricket with a pink ball, so a roof wouldnt be a crazy next step.

The prospect for CA to be able to stage cricket in a boutique stadium, 24/7 365 with no risk of losing days/hours due to weather is tantalising. India are also looking at Hobart to see how it all works, as they are considering roofed stadiums in their country to counteract the oppressive heat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the totally legitimate question. We are going to take Melbourne's. No more tests at the MCG. Strap in for boxing day 2028 at Mac Point.

Stadium earnt the approval of Cricket Australia following negotiations over the height of the roof. With that sorted, all that would need to happen is a number of Sheffield Shield trial games to ascertain whether or not the stadium can host multi-day red ball cricket.

I suspect it could as its been designed with that in mind. I also think the move to roofed tests isnt a far cry. After all, we've seen the 5 day game evolve to include night cricket with a pink ball, so a roof wouldnt be a crazy next step.

The prospect for CA to be able to stage cricket in a boutique stadium, 24/7 365 with no risk of losing days/hours due to weather is tantalising. India are also looking at Hobart to see how it all works, as they are considering roofed stadiums in their country to counteract the oppressive heat.
Seeing I "technically" work for CT, I can't say much or anything at all, but I do like your thinking..... please feel free to comment away you lot :tongueclosed:

There’s no way Cricket Aus are going back to 6 tests a summer. So we would have to get a test from QLD or Western Australia to be a regular test venue.
I think we will be the obligatory Afghanistan game at best.

There’s no way Cricket Aus are going back to 6 tests a summer. So we would have to get a test from QLD or Western Australia to be a regular test venue.
Off topic, but I don't see Afghanistan touring anytime soon.

Either that or ensure yet another bull shit scg washout. But yes we know all the players parents in Sydney would be most upset to lose a test...

It would probably be an extra, but might alternate with one or more other cities. Option for late/early season tests might work too.
I just can’t see how Cricket Aus will add more tests though?
Aside from India and England they don’t draw the crowds? Maybe they push an Indian series to 5 games but along with being very doubtful, we have to beat Brisbane too it.

Say we get a Sri Lanka. Do we think the place would be completely packed for multiple days?

i think the energy needs to be put into attracting other content.

I just can’t see how Cricket Aus will add more tests though?
Aside from India and England they don’t draw the crowds? Maybe they push an Indian series to 5 games but along with being very doubtful, we have to beat Brisbane too it.

Say we get a Sri Lanka. Do we think the place would be completely packed for multiple days?

i think the energy needs to be put into attracting other content.
The venue wouldn't be packed with lower teams but I think we would definitely get bigger test crowds than currently. I think if we can get 10,000 to 12,000 for the first three days it would be a great effort for Tasmania.

Often we have two nations tour in a summer now with a 3/2 split of tests.

Two test series are too short imo, so perhaps there's an opportunity to play six tests so we can have both be three test series.
I think they stopped having 6 tests per summer because the schedule was too much for the Aussies.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back