The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket Tasmania chairman and former Test cricketer David Boon said he was excited about what the stadium could provide for the sport.

"The bottom line is, yes, we will be able to play cricket there and we're very much looking forward to it," he said.

Still a big question over test cricket though and let's face it we aren't going to be stealing a test from one of the big cities so it would only be against a small team every so often.

Of course international and BBL cricket will be played, but surely not shield (and other similar e.g. WNCL) cricket - because simply what time of year would concerts and major events be held that justifies buliding the stadium in the first place? AFL, other Aussie Rules and BBL will use the stadium for about eight months of the year anyway. You're not playing shield cricket for two of the remaining four.

We're talking about a two-stadium team, so it actually is feasible to have Mac Point concerts (or even cricket) at any time during the footy season. Launceston can just host its allotment of games in the meantime, if necessary.

What we do know for sure is that Shield matches will be played there in order to determine the venue's suitability for multi-day First Class cricket.

Blue Chip companies are lining up in big numbers to be the Naming rights sponsor of the new stadium,so obviously they believe it will have big benefits.

Bellerive is owned by Clarence Council and is. It is not going to be sold.

Cricket Tasmania are/were trying to leverage their product by saying that all cricket will stay at Bellerive unless the state builds them a new high performance centre elsewhere. CT own the current cricket training centre there, and would sell that off (would have limited value). Clarence FC will remain there.

This is an old article but if that is still CT’s position, the TAS govt should call cricket’s bluff and say they will lower the roof at the new stadium if no cricket.
Walshawk as far as the bolded above goes, we can agree to disagree, as in my view, it's a very good possibility.

I would ask this question, If there is no CT at Bellerive, and no other "sporting club/organisation" willing to take on the infrastructure commitment, do you think Clarence Council would be happy for a TPL side in Clarence, to be the only tenant in that level of facility? Will Bellerive be the home of the TPL or will it be North Hobart?

I raised the possibility of the "round ball code" co-habiting at Bellerive in a few meetings I've been involved in (as we know, there are certainly growing interests in an A-League or similar entry for TAS), there was a small amount of interest, but nothing more than that. I think Bellerive certainly could be "feasibly" re-configured for round ball and I've made that perfectly clear at government level.

When I mentioned "CT looking to sell up", I probably used poor terminology, but if you look at the link you posted, the bolded from that article, was what I was trying to say: Currently, Cricket Tasmania owns the infrastructure at Bellerive Oval, but leases the grass oval portion of the facility from the Clarence City Council.

I'm not being antagonistic, I'm just interested in your thoughts :thumbsu:

Walshawk as far as the bolded above goes, we can agree to disagree, as in my view, it's a very good possibility.

I would ask this question, If there is no CT at Bellerive, and no other "sporting club/organisation" willing to take on the infrastructure commitment, do you think Clarence Council would be happy for a TPL side in Clarence, to be the only tenant in that level of facility? Will Bellerive be the home of the TPL or will it be North Hobart?

I raised the possibility of the "round ball code" co-habiting at Bellerive in a few meetings I've been involved in (as we know, there are certainly growing interests in an A-League or similar entry for TAS), there was a small amount of interest, but nothing more than that. I think Bellerive certainly could be "feasibly" re-configured for round ball and I've made that perfectly clear at government level.

When I mentioned "CT looking to sell up", I probably used poor terminology, but if you look at the link you posted, the bolded from that article, was what I was trying to say: Currently, Cricket Tasmania owns the infrastructure at Bellerive Oval, but leases the grass oval portion of the facility from the Clarence City Council.

I think if the Aleague was to bring games to the state or we get our own team it needs to be at the new stadium. I think we need to be focusing on getting as much content at the new stadium or risk it becoming a White Elephant.

Well if Cricket TAS own the infrastructure, they can pull it down?

You realise Clarence football and cricket club built that ground? The blood, sweat and tears of those original men carved the ground out themselves?

Where would you have Clarence go then? Can you answer that question? Why not give the biggest club in the state their own ground to use year round again?

The AFL team is meant to improve the game down here isn’t it? Yet you would have it start with de-homing the biggest club in TAS.

Well if Cricket TAS own the infrastructure, they can pull it down?
Are you just trying to be smart?
You realise Clarence football and cricket club built that ground? The blood, sweat and tears of those original men carved the ground out themselves?
Actually I do, hope that answers the first part. As for the next one, is that a question or a statement?
Where would you have Clarence go then? Can you answer that question? Why not give the biggest club in the state their own ground to use year round again?
I wouldn't have Clarence Football Club go anywhere, Bellerive is their HOME! I agree, they (Clarence Football Club & Clarence Cricket Club) should have it to use all year. What I'm asking is, do they need another co-tenant if CT pull up stumps, to help them remain financially viable at Bellerive?
The AFL team is meant to improve the game down here isn’t it? Yet you would have it start with de-homing the biggest club in TAS.
It's meant to yes and I definitely believe it will, your thoughts? De-homing? I think you're missing my point, all I'm asking is "can Clarence CC & FC afford/survive at Bellerive, without CT".

Love your passion jj15 :thumbsu:

I think if the Aleague was to bring games to the state or we get our own team it needs to be at the new stadium. I think we need to be focusing on getting as much content at the new stadium or risk it becoming a White Elephant.
I don't think Tony Pignata was overly enthused, with his comments regarding the possibility of Football Tas utilising the new infrastructure.

Perhaps that's a Facebook question for you D?

I don't think Tony Pignata was overly enthused, with his comments regarding the possibility of Football Tas utilising the new infrastructure.

Perhaps that's a Facebook question for you D?
Nice to see you have worked out my name.I need to be very careful what I ask on the Tassie Devils page now because I had a couple of individuals come on to me for asking questions they considered to be negative.

Nice to see you have worked out my name.I need to be very careful what I ask on the Tassie Devils page now because I had a couple of individuals come on to me for asking questions they considered to be negative.
I worked it out a very long time ago mate :laughing:

I get that negativity, the multipurpose infrastructure is something that from my point of view, can only bring positives to our state.

I worked it out a very long time ago mate :laughing:

I get that negativity, the multipurpose infrastructure is something that from my point of view, can only bring positives to our state.
I can understand things coming across as a bit negative, but I can guarantee you I'm a huge supporter so I would hate to see it fall through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested to know if people think we will host finals in Tasmania or would they all be played at the mcg. The Geelong cats don't get to play finals in a 40,000 seat stadium in their home city so how will it be different for Tassie?

I'm interested to know if people think we will host finals in Tasmania or would they all be played at the mcg. The Geelong cats don't get to play finals in a 40,000 seat stadium in their home city so how will it be different for Tassie?
Home state final. enough said. If Tasmania qualify

Are you just trying to be smart?

Actually I do, hope that answers the first part. As for the next one, is that a question or a statement?

I wouldn't have Clarence Football Club go anywhere, Bellerive is their HOME! I agree, they (Clarence Football Club & Clarence Cricket Club) should have it to use all year. What I'm asking is, do they need another co-tenant if CT pull up stumps, to help them remain financially viable at Bellerive?

It's meant to yes and I definitely believe it will, your thoughts? De-homing? I think you're missing my point, all I'm asking is "can Clarence CC & FC afford/survive at Bellerive, without CT".

Love your passion jj15 :thumbsu:
Why would Clarence not be able to afford to play on Bellerive? The infrastructure is owned by Cricket TAS so the upkeep is on them.
That’s a question and you answered it.

I’m not being smart at all. Cricket TAS own the buildings so if they can’t afford to upkeep them, take them down?

The greens have come out accusing the Tasmanian government over lying about the cost of the Mac Point stadium, They claim it could end up costing $3 billion dollars. I'm thinking that if the stadium doesn't go ahead maybe they need to consider using Utas and Bellerive until a later date and if the demands warrants a new stadium later on then look at it then.

I'm passionate about the stadium just as must as anyone but I'm even more passionate about our team. I think if the stadium doesn't work out then we need to at least see if it can work at the current grounds. The cost of upgrading Bellerive would be substantially less than the new stadium and if we fill it to capacity for several years we can then go to the people of Tasmania and say we are losing out hugely by playing at Bellerive so we are in dire need of a new stadium.

I think we can all agree the number 1 priority is our team and it would be a huge loss if we had to hand our licence back to the afl. I personally don't think they would be pretty headlines at all and I think other major sporting league's would never consider Tasmania for teams in the future. I think the next six months are going to be very big when it comes to our team, so all I'm saying folks is let's keep all options open.

The greens have come out accusing the Tasmanian government over lying about the cost of the Mac Point stadium, They claim it could end up costing $3 billion dollars. I'm thinking that if the stadium doesn't go ahead maybe they need to consider using Utas and Bellerive until a later date and if the demands warrants a new stadium later on then look at it then.

I'm passionate about the stadium just as must as anyone but I'm even more passionate about our team. I think if the stadium doesn't work out then we need to at least see if it can work at the current grounds. The cost of upgrading Bellerive would be substantially less than the new stadium and if we fill it to capacity for several years we can then go to the people of Tasmania and say we are losing out hugely by playing at Bellerive so we are in dire need of a new stadium.

I think we can all agree the number 1 priority is our team and it would be a huge loss if we had to hand our licence back to the afl. I personally don't think they would be pretty headlines at all and I think other major sporting league's would never consider Tasmania for teams in the future. I think the next six months are going to be very big when it comes to our team, so all I'm saying folks is let's keep all options open.

3 billion? Should get tottenhams stadium for that and NFL games

Is there a source where the greens got that $3 billion figure from?

How much of that $3bil the Greens go on about, is that going to their mates at the CFMEU???

Seriously, that's the only way a 23,000 stadium with nothing special, is going to cost $3bil.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back