The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So would this include private investment details?
Unlikely as I dont think there is a specific guideline that refers to the privates.

However there will be financial impact and economic reports, so there may be some detail there.

The procurement of the stadium as a PPP will be handled by State Growth/Stadiums Tasmania rather than MPDC

Unlikely as I dont think there is a specific guideline that refers to the privates.

However there will be financial impact and economic reports, so there may be some detail there.

The procurement of the stadium as a PPP will be handled by State Growth/Stadiums Tasmania rather than MPDC
If the TPC doesn't have details of the private investors signed up then how are they meant to access the cost side of the assessment for the stadium?

If the TPC doesn't have details of the private investors signed up then how are they meant to access the cost side of the assessment for the stadium?

There are no privates currently signed up. Theyā€™re awaiting to see the nature of the procurement process, and like the rest of us are awaiting the submission to the TPC. From there, they can see precisely what theyā€™re dealing with.

And then, the government can commence an EOI process. Hereā€™s the project, hereā€™s 2000 pages of detail - and btw, the numbers are largely known. Capped $375m contribution. Federal money. $715m budget.

Thereā€™s a lot to consider from both sides when committing to a likely $1b+ PPP

There are no privates currently signed up. Theyā€™re awaiting to see the nature of the procurement process, and like the rest of us are awaiting the submission to the TPC. From there, they can see precisely what theyā€™re dealing with.

And then, the government can commence an EOI process. Hereā€™s the project, hereā€™s 2000 pages of detail - and btw, the numbers are largely known. Capped $375m contribution. Federal money. $715m budget.

Thereā€™s a lot to consider from both sides when committing to a likely $1b+ PPP
Thankyou kindly!!

Do you know if the TPC will likely keep the public up to date on the assessment of the stadium application over the next year?

Launceston business's are being assured they will get their fair share of big Melbourne teams when the Tassie Devils enter the competition in 2028. It is also looking possible according to some that Hawthorn will likely keep playing their games in Launceston as well. I don't personally think this is a good idea because it will take potential support from the tassie team and I'm not sure if the afl would give it the go ahead. I'm interested to know what people think will be the future of afl in Launceston when they enter the competition. I know business's up here are pretty concerned about what the future will look like, so I think this is going to be very interesting to see what happens.

Launceston business's are being assured they will get their fair share of big Melbourne teams when the Tassie Devils enter the competition in 2028. It is also looking possible according to some that Hawthorn will likely keep playing their games in Launceston as well. I don't personally think this is a good idea because it will take potential support from the tassie team and I'm not sure if the afl would give it the go ahead. I'm interested to know what people think will be the future of afl in Launceston when they enter the competition. I know business's up here are pretty concerned about what the future will look like, so I think this is going to be very interesting to see what happens.
Didnā€™t the AFL say Tassie will also host games in Launceston as well as Hobart. Thatā€™s why they are doing the upgrades to that oval after all.

Didnā€™t the AFL say Tassie will also host games in Launceston as well as Hobart. Thatā€™s why they are doing the upgrades to that oval after all.
I'm very aware of that, but Launceston business's are still nervous about it apparently and it looks like Hawthorn may continue to play games there as well.

As a tax payer I donā€™t want to be paying for more games that donā€™t involve Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So possibly will just be a regular game in Launceston against the Devils according to this but I have heard other things saying they still want to extend the 4 game deal. I honestly don't see this as likely, because the government is not going to pay for them and the Devils.
It will not be the full blown 4 game deal it currently is. They'd be competing against the Devils to a lesser degree and no one will let that happen.
All Hawks are after is a regular game in Tassie every season but even then- as alluded to in article- there's no certainty in that.

It was interesting to hear someone say to me recently they don't think the Projects of State Significance that is assessing the stadium is legit. The Projects of State Significance is very comprehensive and was responsible for assessing the Pulp Mill and Ralph Bay housing Estate which were both rejected.

This process is completely independent and is not going to approve the stadium unless it is found to be a good deal for Tasmania. I think these people need to let the experts in their field do their job and have some faith in them. I have maintained all along I will accept whatever the findings are of the TPC but clearly it won't be enough for many that oppose it.

It will not be the full blown 4 game deal it currently is. They'd be competing against the Devils to a lesser degree and no one will let that happen.
All Hawks are after is a regular game in Tassie every season but even then- as alluded to in article- there's no certainty in that.
I did read somewhere Hawthorn will host Tasmania, making it a Tasmanian away game.

That's an interesting twist on things lol.

There are 9 Melbourne based teams that all play in their home State far more often than teams from anywhere else (eg Saints played 16 in Vic this year, they also had an away game v Hawks is Tassie so it would have been 17 in State in a normal year).

It is not unreasonable for 3 Melbourne based teams to play 1 home game in Tassie each year. That would increase the use of the Tassie stadiums by having Devils 14 games in state. That is just 1 more home state game than SA teams (12 + gather round) or 2 more than the other non-vic clubs that get 12 games in state each season. (Bear in mind that the Devils will have regular in State trips of + 200km to Launceston too).

Doing this would mean that every 3 years each Melbourne based side would play 1 of their home games v the Devils in Tassie. Probably those Vic team "home" games would need to be in Launceston rather than in Hobart - I think Hobart being a unique indoor statdium will give a big home ground advantage to the Devils pretty quickly and that would be a big sacrafice for a VIC club to play at Mac Point. That would be a pretty balanced approach I think.

There are 9 Melbourne based teams that all play in their home State far more often than teams from anywhere else (eg Saints played 16 in Vic this year, they also had an away game v Hawks is Tassie so it would have been 17 in State in a normal year).

It is not unreasonable for 3 Melbourne based teams to play 1 home game in Tassie each year. That would increase the use of the Tassie stadiums by having Devils 14 games in state. That is just 1 more home state game than SA teams (12 + gather round) or 2 more than the other non-vic clubs that get 12 games in state each season. (Bear in mind that the Devils will have regular in State trips of + 200km to Launceston too).

Doing this would mean that every 3 years each Melbourne based side would play 1 of their home games v the Devils in Tassie. Probably those Vic team "home" games would need to be in Launceston rather than in Hobart - I think Hobart being a unique indoor statdium will give a big home ground advantage to the Devils pretty quickly and that would be a big sacrafice for a VIC club to play at Mac Point. That would be a pretty balanced approach I think.
Hobart is not going to accept hosting only the low drawing teams especially after the years of hosting North Melbourne.

Hobart is not going to accept hosting only the low drawing teams especially after the years of hosting North Melbourne.

I was suggesting every Melbourne team, not "low drawing teams".

Is there a reason you are so negative about the stadium and anything to do with the way the Devils will operate? Its almost like you are some sort of shill for the anti stadium crowd trying to create conflict, doubt and discord.

I was suggesting every Melbourne team, not "low drawing teams".

Is there a reason you are so negative about the stadium and anything to do with the way the Devils will operate? Its almost like you are some sort of shill for the anti stadium crowd trying to create conflict, doubt and discord.
Ok apologies for that,I'm definitely a supporter, but nothing wrong with wanting a few answers to some controversial topics that some bring up. When it comes to the stadium I'm very hopeful it will go ahead, but at the same time we have to have a plan b if the POSS recommends it doesn't get approved and in turn the government doesn't vote for it to go ahead. I'm of the view that I would be happy to play at Bellerive or build one of the alternative stadium options if Mac Point doesn't get approved, because that is still better than no team at all.

More content for Tassie will be a big plus for both the stadium's in Tasmania but who would pay them?
The AFL won't allow other clubs to suck money out of Tasmania. They know it'll be tough enough for the new club to build itself financially early in its existence.
If those clubs can't make it in their own market, then they should do something else for a living.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back