The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was suggesting every Melbourne team, not "low drawing teams".

Is there a reason you are so negative about the stadium and anything to do with the way the Devils will operate? Its almost like you are some sort of shill for the anti stadium crowd trying to create conflict, doubt and discord.
It makes sense to play the bigger games at UTas until MacP is complete. Then they'll mix the games up, IMO.
The name on the tin says TASMANIA, that's how they should look at it.

The AFL won't allow other clubs to suck money out of Tasmania. They know it'll be tough enough for the new club to build itself financially early in its existence.
If those clubs can't make it in their own market, then they should do something else for a living.
Both North and Hawthorn are looking at playing they're Tasmania home games in Tasmania so maybe an arrangement could be made for one game each. This will mean more content for our stadiums and Launceston especially will be happy knowing they will get more than 4 games.

Both North and Hawthorn are looking at playing they're Tasmania home games in Tasmania so maybe an arrangement could be made for one game each. This will mean more content for our stadiums and Launceston especially will be happy knowing they will get more than 4 games.
The AFL won't let it happen. They control the fixture & they want total focus on the new club, not leaches trying to suck more out of this place.

The AFL won't let it happen. They control the fixture & they want total focus on the new club, not leaches trying to suck more out of this place.
That makes sense but it would be good to have a bit more content to go around considering Hobart will only have 7 games being played in a brand new stadium.

I think they might be amenable to this idea. it doesnt take the focus away, makes the stadium situation more palatable if you have an extra game or two. Id expect Hawthorn to want to play in Launceston still.

I think they might be amenable to this idea. it doesnt take the focus away, makes the stadium situation more palatable if you have an extra game or two. Id expect Hawthorn to want to play in Launceston still.

I'd be surprised if Hawthorn didnt maintain a presence in Tasmania.

They have a lot of fans and members in the state, and have been there for nearly 25 years.

I can see 2 fixtures in Launceston per year

• Hawthorn v a usual away opponent (Freo/GWS etc)
  • Hawthorn v Tasmania with Tasmania the away team

I wouldnt be stunned if a club, maybe North Melb or a St Kilda does the same in Hobart at the new stadium.

You could feasibly end up with 15 AFL mens games in Tasmania per year. Plus finals should Tassie qualify.

It would require a Government cheque, but they'd just treat the extra games as "events" which they need to find anyway.

I'd be surprised if Hawthorn didnt maintain a presence in Tasmania.

They have a lot of fans and members in the state, and have been there for nearly 25 years.

I can see 2 fixtures in Launceston per year

• Hawthorn v a usual away opponent (Freo/GWS etc)
  • Hawthorn v Tasmania with Tasmania the away team

I wouldnt be stunned if a club, maybe North Melb or a St Kilda does the same in Hobart at the new stadium.

You could feasibly end up with 15 AFL mens games in Tasmania per year. Plus finals should Tassie qualify.

It would require a Government cheque, but they'd just treat the extra games as "events" which they need to find anyway.
You honestly think the government is going to contribute even more money especially with the opposition to afl funding down here?

Ok apologies for that,I'm definitely a supporter, but nothing wrong with wanting a few answers to some controversial topics that some bring up. When it comes to the stadium I'm very hopeful it will go ahead, but at the same time we have to have a plan b if the POSS recommends it doesn't get approved and in turn the government doesn't vote for it to go ahead. I'm of the view that I would be happy to play at Bellerive or build one of the alternative stadium options if Mac Point doesn't get approved, because that is still better than no team at all.
First of all the Government and the oppo are in support. It will go ahead. Once more let’s focus on the positives. A lot of the answers have been posted. Forget Bellerive the AFL and Tassie government have said if the “new” stadium doesn’t happen then no club.

I was suggesting every Melbourne team, not "low drawing teams".

Is there a reason you are so negative about the stadium and anything to do with the way the Devils will operate? Its almost like you are some sort of shill for the anti stadium crowd trying to create conflict, doubt and discord.
Welcome to our world lol.

First of all the Government and the oppo are in support. It will go ahead. Once more let’s focus on the positives. A lot of the answers have been posted. Forget Bellerive the AFL and Tassie government have said if the “new” stadium doesn’t happen then no club.
I hope you are right, but if the Projects Of State Significance comes back and recommends it doesn't get approved then how can you say it will definitely go ahead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you are right, but if the Projects Of State Significance comes back and recommends it doesn't get approved then how can you say it will definitely go ahead?
To be honest I wouldn’t even worry. Out of our control until then.

I'm interested to know what people think will be the future of afl in Launceston when they enter the competition. I know business's up here are pretty concerned about what the future will look like, so I think this is going to be very interesting to see what happens.
UTAS will be demolished and smelted into raw materials to help pay for the Hobart stadium. The Devils will play all 11 home games in Hobart, then after one year they will change their name to the Southern Tasmania Devils. Football will become a wasteland in the north, the fields all grown over, and the goal posts will be like grave stones marking the place where the slain corpse of Northern Tasmanian football rests after being murdered by Mac Point 1.0.

Only you and your concerned friends can stop this. If only all these vast swathes of concerned people you keep mentioning had ever turned up to an anti-stadium rally things could have been different. Oh well.

You honestly think the government is going to contribute even more money especially with the opposition to afl funding down here?

Its possible for the right price.

I dont think its crazy spending $2m or so for another 4 fixtures, 2 of which would feature the Tasmanian team.

You'd get your money back on those pretty easily I think.

Remember, the Hawthorn deal has been constantly renewed for 25 years because it makes money.

Its an investment, not a cost.

UTAS will be demolished and smelted into raw materials to help pay for the Hobart stadium. The Devils will play all 11 home games in Hobart, then after one year they will change their name to the Southern Tasmania Devils. Football will become a wasteland in the north, the fields all grown over, and the goal posts will be like grave stones marking the place where the slain corpse of Northern Tasmanian football rests after being murdered by Mac Point 1.0.

Only you and your concerned friends can stop this. If only all these vast swathes of concerned people you keep mentioning had ever turned up to an anti-stadium rally things could have been different. Oh well.
I'm not going to turn up to an anti stadium when I support a stadium and I also agree it has to be based down in Hobart. The stadium up here is getting an upgrade so has a big future and it has been guaranteed by both the state government and just this week by the Devils that it wont lose any content. I look forward to games up here in Launceston, but can't wait to attend games at which ever of the stadiums that gets the go ahead in our capital.

Its possible for the right price.

I dont think its crazy spending $2m or so for another 4 fixtures, 2 of which would feature the Tasmanian team.

You'd get your money back on those pretty easily I think.

Remember, the Hawthorn deal has been constantly renewed for 25 years because it makes money.

Its an investment, not a cost.
I think that would be great, but I can imagine the backlash from a lot of the locals down here

I look look forward to the costings and other information being revealed during the POSS process. Many people opposed to the deal don't understand a lot of the information they are after will be revealed during the POSS. The government is also unable to release all information because some of it is confidential. These people against it need to be patient, because a lot of information will soon be made public and a lot of questions will be answered. I have little doubt the wait will be worth it and I see Tasmania building something that will be great for this state.

I look look forward to the costings and other information being revealed during the POSS process. Many people opposed to the deal don't understand a lot of the information they are after will be revealed during the POSS. The government is also unable to release all information because some of it is confidential. These people against it need to be patient, because a lot of information will soon be made public and a lot of questions will be answered. I have little doubt the wait will be worth it and I see Tasmania building something that will be great for this state.
What are the confidential parts?

It's interesting seeing people saying the stadium is happening even though the POSS hasn't even begun and a lot of information is not yet known. I understand the government has got the numbers in parliament to get it through but if the Projects of State Significance recommends it doesn't get approved then surely that will see some of the members of parliament change their vote. I support the stadium as much as anyone, but we have to be realistical and understand that the stadium is not a certainty.

Excited Arrested Development GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stadium!

Back