The Summer of Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack took a deep breath. His therapist had told him that when he felt the rage boil up inside him, he was to take three deep breaths.

“Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean,” he said to himself over and over, rubbing his temples. This mantra had often brought him back from the brink of madness when his rage took over.

“It’s all right,” he continued, “it will all be OK. Mum mustn’t have known we were out of Animal Shaped Cheerios. She’ll buy some more. She’ll buy some more. We’ll have some more tomorrow. We just have to wait until then. We can do that, Jacky boy, we can.”

Referring to himself in the third person was something his therapist knew would take much longer to fix. Jack himself was unaware, but his therapist had seen kids who lapsed into third person monologues in times of stress many times before. They never ended well, and Jack’s was pretty bad, almost as bad as young Robert Walls’ many years earlier.

Suitably calmed, Jack went with Alphabet Sugaflakes instead. He had a double helping, because he knew he was going to need his energy today. He had a big match later. Not football of course, no his schedule was pretty empty there. Dean had told all the boys to take the summer off footy.

“Bit of time off will be good for everyone.” Dean had said. “Relax a bit. Get away from it all. Live a little. We’ll meet back up in a few months, see where we’re at then.”

Dean was great like that, really understanding. After the Brisbane Lions thrashing earlier in the year, Jack had been feeling a bit down. He was starting to think maybe he wasn’t cut out to be a footballer, but it was Dean who had turned him around.

“Hey, Mr Frowny pants,” Dean had said, “turn that frown upside down. Of course you’re good enough to be an AFL footballer. You know how I know? You know how? Because I believe in you. I, Dean Bailey, believe in you, and that’s all you’ll ever need, because I’m an AFL coach.”

No, all was well on the football front for Jack. His 2009 season had been a remarkable success. He’d even featured on Youtube.

But this afternoon wasn’t about football. This was a showdown of a far more personal nature. This was between him and his arch-enemy. It was Lex Luthor to his Superman. The Joker to his Batman. Fevola to his Judd.

All through school they’d been enemies, he and Peter Downing. On the sporting field, enemies. In the theatre – enemies. The theatre director had picked up on their rivalry, casting Peter in the role of Stanley in Streetcar. It was a bold move, but even Jack had to admit their on-stage tension had made the play.

The showdown this afternoon had been Jack’s idea. He was sure half the kids in Brighton would turn out to see it. They could’ve sold tickets, such a heavyweight clash it was. Jack had texted Peter the challenge a week before –

“1st December, you and me, mano e mano. Winner is the winner for all time, loser is vanquished. Settle this once and for all... 1pm, Gilbert’s house, Mario Kart, 150cc.”

The gauntlet had been thrown down, the challenge accepted, and the day had arrived.

That installment wasn't half bad.

You coming in to fight your boyfriend 'cannons' battles again? See I can make gay jokes too :)
Not really. Your gay little three word post came up in My Bigfooty.

You were - on the other hand - getting worried after no one had replied to Duritz's fail thread.

It's OK man. :thumbsu:

Funny you say that, as cannons reply actually came up on my BigFooty also. Nice self ownage champ :thumbsu:
I'm sure it did mate, never said it didn't.

What happened though was you saw that his fail thread hadn't received a reply for 7 hours and therefore you had to quickly come in with a crappy little attempt to save it.

It's alright, we get it. You're Duritz's bitch.

What happened though was you saw that his fail thread hadn't received a reply for 7 hours and therefore you had to quickly come in with a crappy little attempt to save it.

Nice try. No posts from the OP updating the story is the reason it hasn't been updated, but there will be updates coming, I've just been far too busy following the building of the 2010 premiership team at trade week.

As for Melspoon... signed Mark Jamar. Movers and shakers at Melspoon.

Nice try. No posts from the OP updating the story is the reason it hasn't been updated, but there will be updates coming, I've just been far too busy following the building of the 2010 premiership team at trade week.

As for Melspoon... signed Mark Jamar. Movers and shakers at Melspoon.
Ah yes.

Dees get picks 1,2,11 and 18 in the draft.

Brisbane get Clarke, Raines, Staker and Buchanon :eek:

Nice one Brissy :D:D:eek::eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure it did mate, never said it didn't.

Hadn't been on BF all day until then. No updates from Duritz at that stage. Apology accepted.

He should be feared

Portals_0_demons_demonsphotogalleri.jpg

Why has this not been photoshopped.

The Summer of Jack continues!

Will he win the mario kart battle..? I can't wait to find out!

This is going to be a HUGE summer for Jack, I just know it. I sense there may even be some romance on the horizon! How about it Duritz? :D

Oh there'll be romance, have no fear there...

The Summer of Duritz.

11:00am - 2:00pm Wake up, troll Melbourne
2:00pm - 2:01pm Watch pr0n
2:01pm - 3:00pm Walk down to Maccas for a feast, make sure to avoid sun light at all costs.
3:00pm - 4:00pm Look at the kids playing outside in the sun wishing to be part of the group
4:00pm - 6:00pm Troll Melbourne
6:00pm - 7:00pm Watch the simpsons and neighbours.
7:00pm - indefinate Troll Melbourne and chow down on some chips.
Indefinate - 11:00am, sleep while dreaming about Bruno.

lol :thumbsu:

In that case, why did you post it?

And 32 ain't middle aged old fella.

Loving this story so far. Will Jack pick luigi? or perhaps princess?

Didn't know you were as old as 32, honestly thought you were around 18 - 23

He should be feared

Portals_0_demons_demonsphotogalleri.jpg

Why do all pictures of Jack Watts make me laugh :confused:

Jack needed a break, he was really beginning to get stressed out. It was 12:07, only 53 minutes to game time, and though he’d never say it out loud, he was feeling the pressure.

“I need a weak decaf soy chai latte.” He said to himself. “And a bickie. I’m feeling the pressure.”

Jack made a beeline for his favourite watering hole: “The Lavender Ottoman”. They had a $9.95 “bickie and milk” deal on Tuesday’s, best deal in all of Brighton.

Jack pushed through the lavender curtains and climbed the staircase. For some reason, he always felt reassured when he did that. At home.

He felt a little surge of excitement on seeing that Carlos was working. Jack liked Carlos. He was a Mexican boy about Jack’s age. At least, Jack thought he was about his age, he didn’t really know. He’d never seen Carlos at school, well obviously not at Brighton Grammar anyway. Jack had looked out to see if Carlos had a school uniform from somewhere else, maybe somewhere less fortunate like Williamstown High or something, but he’d never seen it. Therefore, Jack wasn’t sure how old Carlos was. He kind of looked Jack’s age, but being so thin and yet muscular, especially in the biceps and abs, Jack couldn’t really tell.

“Hi, Carlos...” said Jack, wistfully, subconsciously playing with a straw on the counter.

“Hello Jacky,” replied Carlos, “want the usual?”

Jack sighed a troubled sigh. Clearly, his thoughts were elsewhere. Yet, even in his tormented state, he knew that any talent agent worth their salt would die for the chance to capture his precious gift, even in just this casual pose.

“No, Carlos,” he replied, running his hands through his hair lightly, “I need something stronger today.”

Jack’s eyes caught the glint of light through the mauve stained glass windows, and he held Carlos’ gaze. He didn’t know why he held the moment, why he did not look away, but the artist in him demanded it, and Jack always listened to the artist within.

“Weak decaf soy chai latte thanks Carlos,” Jack said, continuing to hold the gaze, “and a smiley face bickie. Put it on Mum’s account.”

Remove this Banner Ad

The Summer of Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back