The tragedy that is the design of Docklands Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

There is the MCG a stone throw away. Plus Geeong have their own homeground and Ballarat even get games themselves now.

Don't underestimate the additional time it takes from Marvel / Southern Cross to sitting in your seat at the MCG. Might be only 3k, but its 20 minutes by train each way (includes waiting for one and walking from Richmond / Jolimont) and that makes a difference for a regional supporter attending night games.

If you live in Melbourne, 3k driving across a congested city from the West is just a pain in the farce.

The reason that there is no atmosphere at Marvel is mainly because of the fixturing and home tenants. St.Kilda v Doggies on a sunday arvo you might get 20,000 there? Essendon and Carlton play home games against interstate teams, but get moved to the G for bigger Melbourne clubs.

How many times do you actually get a 50,000 crowd at docklands? Hardly ever. If they fixtured big games there and got sellouts the place would be pumping. I was at St.Kilda V Geelong round 14 in 2009 and it was probably one of the best atmospheres I've been at.

As a non-Vic resident, never found the Dome a bad venue to visit. Easy to get to and get around in. I also don't really see how it is anymore of a concrete jungle than the 'G these days.

Can be a bit weird under the roof when the game is ordinary, but any stadium will feel dead when it's half-full watching mediocre sides. I think Master91 has summed it up well. Until North/Saints/Dogs start playing consistently well to get a crowd in (or Carlton, Essendon etc. Play vic sides there) it'll seem lifeless.

The reason that there is no atmosphere at Marvel is mainly because of the fixturing and home tenants. St.Kilda v Doggies on a sunday arvo you might get 20,000 there? Essendon and Carlton play home games against interstate teams, but get moved to the G for bigger Melbourne clubs.

How many times do you actually get a 50,000 crowd at docklands? Hardly ever. If they fixtured big games there and got sellouts the place would be pumping. I was at St.Kilda V Geelong round 14 in 2009 and it was probably one of the best atmospheres I've been at.

Richmond v Sydney in 2018 and 2019 both had fantastic atmosphere. It gets so loud you can feels the stands shaking when you crack 40,000

Docklands Stadium is only great when

1. The roof is open
2. The crowd is over 40k

Neither of which happen often, but both have their issues too

1. The sun makes it shit for TV and players
2. There's not enough Bars/Food for crowds over 40k, so you end up with massive lines that never clear

Completely misused by the AFL. They really should look at utilizing & treating the place with more respect.

Showing how old I am, I remember going up to the observation deck of the Rialto Towers one day in the late 1990s and the future Docklands stadium was just a big circle pegged out on cleared ground.

It sure was a different time. There was no Eureka Tower, no Melbourne Aquarium and if one wanted to catch the Sky Bus, then one had to sit on a bench in the open air at the Spencer Street Station (as opposed to Southern Cross Station) that was very much like a suburban bus stop.

Last edited:
What a shame VFL Park was sold off. Way better than sterile dome.
You must be joking. I can actually take a train to the Docklands, it’s in a central location, I’m not 3.5 million years away from the action, I can actually leave the ground within an hour and I don’t get rained on. Bliss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either Docklands shits over the MCG

or

Essendon fans shit over Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Collingwood fans.

Of the 6 games in Melbourne I've been to, the 1 at Marvel Stadium was the best atmosphere (Despite being the smallest crowd of the 6 - Note, of the 5 at the MCG, 3 were 1 kick games, so it's not like the closeness of the game was a determining factor.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The tragedy that is the design of Docklands Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back