The Training the House Down 2017 edition thread (2017 pre-season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a chance to watch the camp on the Sunny Coast as my young fella was water boy for the week. Have to agree, the grounds are impressive but disagree about your assessment of JOM. Today he was in the blue singlet which is awarded to best trainer from the day before. He and T Mitchell on similar program of light running, skills and boxing. Both looking in great nick. JOM competed in semi competitive drills today and looked composed and confident. No sign of favouring the knee.

Mitchell spent some time kicking ball to Rough who was leading out of the square. Geez the big fella has trained well, couldn't help but reflect on what might have been. Have him a lock for round one.

My young bloke told me Vickery was trying hard but I could see he was struggling with instructions and Clarko was pulling him aside for further clarification at times. Hope he proves me wrong but there is a real class difference between him and Rough when watching them doing similar drills.

The new draftees and being nursed along. Mitch Lewis a great size but don't expect any of them to be playing next year as all lightly framed, all look highly skilled though.

The Irish lads are coming along. Both Conors good athletes with the "Nash" version out running Smith at times. Good size too.

Apart from the usual senior stars thought the following looked like making an impression next year:

Stewart...... a real goer
Lovell.........great size and much fitter than last year, could surprise.
Pitttonet.....had the blue singlet earlier in the week. Starting to fill out.
Howe......shows real leadership. Fit and firing.
Burton......... geez this bloke is all class. Can see why he got the #5. Still has size to put on but look out 2018

Track Leaders... Shiels, Smith, Whitecross

Ceglar moving well with no bandage, just straight line stuff,

Interesting about Poppy who was quizzed by the young fella about his modified program. Confessed to carrying a leg niggle throughout last season but played through it. Said he'd be right to go.

Hope this sheds a bit of light about the week that was, happy to answer questions (don't make them too hard?)

Get excited about JOM, Mitchell, Burton, Lovell ...the new era begins
Thanks for the report! Catch much of a sight of jor? Did well in the time trial and whitecross called him out as a big improver on the track.

df45d862e918f92236893fd9fba02641.jpg

Blue singlet confirmed

And titch looks to have put some size on, possibly due to his modified program so has done less running, or on purpose if coaches want him focusing as the contested bull

I love these training posts more than anyone but.....

One has Jom bandaged up and hobbling around favouring a leg and people going into meltdown

and.......

One has Jom wearing a blue singlet as the best trainer and everyone thinking yep I knew he would be a jet.

Knowing Hawthorn we won't see JOM until about round 6-8 at best and there will be lots of periods at training where he won't be sighted as the club take a cautious approach to understand his body and what he is capable of.

Work him, back off, work him a little more back off etc etc.

Cheers,

Dr Rocks.

Thanks for the report! Catch much of a sight of jor? Did well in the time trial and whitecross called him out as a big improver on the track.

JOR running has improved from last year but feel with the new additions he's going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get midfield time. Or at least take his chances while JOM eased in. Pace an issue, doesn't seem to have a second string. Lovell jumped the queue from my observations.

I love these training posts more than anyone but.....

One has Jom bandaged up and hobbling around favouring a leg and people going into meltdown

and.......

One has Jom wearing a blue singlet as the best trainer and everyone thinking yep I knew he would be a jet.

Knowing Hawthorn we won't see JOM until about round 6-8 at best and there will be lots of periods at training where he won't be sighted as the club take a cautious approach to understand his body and what he is capable of.

Work him, back off, work him a little more back off etc etc.

Cheers,

Dr Rocks.

JOM is definitely being eased in. Think we'll know more after the New Year. He's definitely moving freely and running at good pace in straight lines. Can anticipate he'll get half a practice game to prove himself in late February/ early March. Get through that and Round 1 is a goer. Just out of interest T Mitchell followed a very similar camp program.

JOM is definitely being eased in. Think we'll know more after the New Year. He's definitely moving freely and running at good pace in straight lines. Can anticipate he'll get half a practice game to prove himself in late February/ early March. Get through that and Round 1 is a goer. Just out of interest T Mitchell followed a very similar camp program.

We should remember Mitchell played an extra two weeks compared to most of the squad. No surprise his program is thus tailored different.

We should remember Mitchell played an extra two weeks compared to most of the squad. No surprise his program is thus tailored different.
He's new to the club they are easing all of them in

The club website reported how the players were enthusiastic and happy to be in Mooloolaba.
The Sunny Coast has that effect on most people; a great environment to be fit and active.
Hope the boys enjoy the break and do all they can to be fit and firing in the new year!

Had a chance to watch the camp on the Sunny Coast as my young fella was water boy for the week. Have to agree, the grounds are impressive but disagree about your assessment of JOM. Today he was in the blue singlet which is awarded to best trainer from the day before. He and T Mitchell on similar program of light running, skills and boxing. Both looking in great nick. JOM competed in semi competitive drills today and looked composed and confident. No sign of favouring the knee.

Mitchell spent some time kicking ball to Rough who was leading out of the square. Geez the big fella has trained well, couldn't help but reflect on what might have been. Have him a lock for round one.

My young bloke told me Vickery was trying hard but I could see he was struggling with instructions and Clarko was pulling him aside for further clarification at times. Hope he proves me wrong but there is a real class difference between him and Rough when watching them doing similar drills.

The new draftees and being nursed along. Mitch Lewis a great size but don't expect any of them to be playing next year as all lightly framed, all look highly skilled though.

The Irish lads are coming along. Both Conors good athletes with the "Nash" version out running Smith at times. Good size too.

Apart from the usual senior stars thought the following looked like making an impression next year:

Stewart...... a real goer
Lovell.........great size and much fitter than last year, could surprise.
Pitttonet.....had the blue singlet earlier in the week. Starting to fill out.
Howe......shows real leadership. Fit and firing.
Burton......... geez this bloke is all class. Can see why he got the #5. Still has size to put on but look out 2018

Track Leaders... Shiels, Smith, Whitecross

Ceglar moving well with no bandage, just straight line stuff,

Interesting about Poppy who was quizzed by the young fella about his modified program. Confessed to carrying a leg niggle throughout last season but played through it. Said he'd be right to go.

Hope this sheds a bit of light about the week that was, happy to answer questions (don't make them too hard?)

Get excited about JOM, Mitchell, Burton, Lovell ...the new era begins
I need to lie down after reading this

Any news on how Will Langford is tracking?

Training well. Solid in running drills. He lost a bet with Smith at the last training session on Monday. Players were completing a few running drills to finish off. Smith finishing each one in front at around 30sec...not sure the distance.. Langers yells out "I'm shouting if you break the 30." Next thing I see Smith jumping up and down, hands in the air yelling, "free beer" "free beer" !!! The players all had a good giggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training well. Solid in running drills. He lost a bet with Smith at the last training session on Monday. Players were completing a few running drills to finish off. Smith finishing each one in front at around 30sec...not sure the distance.. Langers yells out "I'm shouting if you break the 30." Next thing I see Smith jumping up and down, hands in the air yelling, "free beer" "free beer" !!! The players all had a good giggle.

Totally different to his preseason preparation for this year. I really hope Will can find his great 2014 form, then our midfield will be very dangerous, and he can look forward to playing with his youngest brother in the future.

Did anyone see the last training session video & Langford kick the footy to top the square? Was it Langers fault for the defender taking the mark or the forwards fault for leading?

Did anyone see the last training session video & Langford kick the footy to top the square? Was it Langers fault for the defender taking the mark or the forwards fault for leading?
Poor kick for mine. Way too deep.

That's surely the problem he's had which is frustrating to see

I think it's more Langer's decision making than his actual kicking.
He's actually a nice long kick when he gets on to them, but he just can't seem to get through the thought process to pick out a teammate.

If he can improve that, he's going to be a good player.

I think it's more Langer's decision making than his actual kicking.
He's actually a nice long kick when he gets on to them, but he just can't seem to get through the thought process to pick out a teammate.

If he can improve that, he's going to be a good player.
Hopefully an uninterrupted preseason will give him time to work on his kicking/decision making. He has a great work ethic and is as tough as nails and loves the club

Totally different to his preseason preparation for this year. I really hope Will can find his great 2014 form, then our midfield will be very dangerous, and he can look forward to playing with his youngest brother in the future.

Could well be suited to a possible game plan change that involves a more scrappy Bulldogs style. Still doesn't instill confidence with disposal but at least he can win his own ball and dish it out to those that can have an impact by foot.

Game style and team balance may have the biggest say on Langers than any hope for improvement in his game.

His decision making could improve as he's still fairly inexperienced, not biting off more than he can chew with his disposals fits into this as well.

But mainly it would require the team wanting to play a game style that suits his strengths

Remove this Banner Ad

The Training the House Down 2017 edition thread (2017 pre-season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back