The value of Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mongrel Punt
Following tonight's game, one Collingwood player really stood out in my mind as having done his job and then some - Travis Cloke.

Sure guys like Dane Swan were good as well, but as a lead-up forward, Cloke was very, very good tonight. It was a pity he missed that get-able goal in the last, but over the course of the night, he continually presented in a way that Rocca could not possibly do.

Well done, young fella. Collingwood has a gem here.

Definite quality player. Don't think he will ever be a 'superstar' forward, but certainly a very good player. Say Scott Lucas for example.. Very very good, but not a superstar.

Collingwood have done very well for themselves.

would be much better if he kicked the goals he should kick.

That one in the last qtr was costly and he misses it too many times.

Works his butt off aswell to go with his skill which really helps, got a massive heart/desire to better the team which I tihnk really stands out.

Will be an All Australian in years to come and probably one of the best forwards of the game, albeit if he cleans up his set shots a bit.

Anyone else agree he'd nearly have the highest trade value at Collingwood, next to maybe Didak and Pendles... I'd still take Cloke though I reckon

As Kookadog said, gone past most CHF's in the game

Can't kick.

Will always be a worry. Has everything else. But if you can't kick you're only half the player. Can't see him improving (his kicking) much. Reminds me of Taz.

ure guys like Dane Swan were good as well, but as a lead-up forward, Cloke was very, very good tonight.
He was great, and so was a couple of other 19-20 year olds. Martin Clarke and, to a lesser extent Heath Shaw. Pendlebury and Thomas were a little quieter tonight, but not terrible, and both will still be stars.

He was great, and so was a couple of other 19-20 year olds. Martin Clarke and, to a lesser extent Heath Shaw.

I think Marty Clarke really stood out for Collingwood tonight. Was terrific, and broke the game open on a number of occasions.

Cloke? He did his job, but was nothing special.

I think Marty Clarke really stood out for Collingwood tonight. Was terrific, and broke the game open on a number of occasions.
Yes he did.
Cloke? He did his job, but was nothing special.
He was terrific as well, and 14 kicks, 13 marks, and 3 goals was fantastic under the circumstances. He was the best key forward on the ground, including Mooney who was named an All-Australian.

Stood up very well.

One thing though. Is he going to be able to go through his career being so one-sided? Will he be good enough (like Scott Lucas, for instance) to be a key forward with only a left side to his arsenal?

I know there's plenty of one-sided right footers that have managed it very successfully, but it does seem so much more pronounced in lefties like Cloke, Lucas and maybe even Lance Franklin. Their right sides are noticeably non-existent.

Other than that, a great talent and I'd be very surprised if he isn't at some stage a key forward in a Premiership team.

Cloke worked really hard and burnt off Milburn, who used to be able to take a Cloke size player, but hasnt' done it in a while and it showed tonight. He hit up the ground really well; the only thing is that I'd like to see him dish off to a better kick when he gets the ball up on the wings - also helps to break the lines and get the ball in quicker to Rocca, rather than a long bomb to a big contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just so you know hes kicking has gotten alot better. he had an off year. but you cant expect a bloke to have a 100% kicking efficiency's can you, there not all like buddy franklin and slot though a lazy half dozen every week. even the mighty jono brown has off dayz and years. this kids 20yrs old just remember that before you go comparing him to the elites

Gun player. Will only get better and will probably be in the top 2-3 forwards in the game in 5-8 years.

Just needs to improve his kicking from set shots.

Exactly, from what ive seen of him this year he kicks alot of goals you dont expect him to, then misses some that for him should be fairly easy. Definetely better then Rocca is though.

Cloke's kicking will be fine. On the run he's as good as they come. This shows he isn't good when he has to go back and think about it, which shows it's a mental issue, not a technical one. This'll improve with experience. His kcking will coem good, I guarantee it.

Without doubt, our most valuable player.

Who'd have thought when we traded Taz that this would happen. Not only did we get Ben Reid but Big Trav has developed sensationally. Through in Medders too, who has been OK the past few weeks.

Gun player. Will only get better and will probably be in the top 2-3 forwards in the game in 5-8 years.

Just needs to improve his kicking from set shots.

Not sure he is ever going to be that good.

He has impressed me all year, i thought he was just another hack like his brothers but he is turning it to a key player for the maggies.

Love his effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

The value of Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back