Player Watch Is Jordan Dawson the best value trade in the last couple of years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordan Dawson got to the Crows with a pick that was around 18 in the 2022 draft (Sydney traded it out).
His rise since coming to Adelaide aa a 24 year old has been massive. From an excellent first season to a breakout 2023 so far where he moved into the midfield and looks every bit as good as any in the guts. He is also the club captain.

All that for pick 18?

Has to be one of the best trades done in the last few years.
I have another question....

Are you a flog for starting a thread that is a statement but framing it as a question?

Nah its a fact he was rated as elite in his position in his final year at the Swans as was his B&F finish.

When guys like him rocket upwards & help get the team from lowly finishes to 5th on the ladder at the end of the season it's pretty obvious what's going on. The season we poached him he was definitely A grade, maybe an A- if you want to be technical but he was making big progress the last couple years it was pretty apparent why we targeted him. Adelaide knew they weren't targeting a 'b' grader. You do realise when clubs go after talent they generally have to pay for potential upside in players still honing their craft right? Do you think the Crows would pay $650k for a b grader in the position he was traded over here for?

Irony is you saying about someone else vindicating their position when you clearly never watched him play or maybe saw 1-2 games. For people who watched him play seriously they know whats up & where he was tracking.
Nope
He was a third round pick who had a good season, and by good I mean 6 brownlow votes and third in their B&F. That does not make someone an A grader. You are just trolling at this point.
They got a first round pick for him, which turned out to 18.
That was his worth at that time, which is what Adelaide offered.
In no world was he an A grader. Just stop.

Nope
He was a third round pick who had a good season, and by good I mean 6 brownlow votes and third in their B&F. That does not make someone an A grader. You are just trolling at this point.
They got a first round pick for him, which turned out to 18.
That was his worth at that time, which is what Adelaide offered.
In no world was he an A grader. Just stop.
You need to take your own advice and "just stop" you've embarrassed yourself enough and confirmed you didn't know a thing about him before his time at Adelaide.

I had people on my own board laughing at me for saying he was easily worth what we were offering and more. Clearly they'd never seen him play and just had their blinkers on.

Drives me nuts how cheap people on Crows board think we need to pay for everyone else's good players then think we can charge a kings ransom when they come for ours.

you don't pay what they're worth, you pay what you have to. And that's rarely what they're worth.

you don't pay what they're worth, you pay what you have to. And that's rarely what they're worth.
Yep agreed, that's a different discussion though. In the end Adelaide made out like bandits offering what we did and we used the leverage of PSD as we should being in the position we were. I think the club did a good job on this, we paid unders comfortably but probably not bad enough that Sydney is out for blood in any future trades.

There's a difference between what someone is worth & what you pay. My commentary has been that he was 'worth' more than we ultimately offered up (& a 2nd round pick which some claimed was ('fair') which has been proven correct has it not? It's great for us that we were able to get him here for far less than he was worth because of PSD, we used its leverage and more clubs should do that whilst at the bottom but there is still a line between taking it too far & damaging your ability to trade respectfully in the future which seems lost on some. If we offered Sydney a 2nd rounder & refused to budge they would have tested out the PSD quite probably& rightfully so given it wasn't even in the ball park of what he should have gotten them. Then if someone else grabs Dawson first we look like absolute fools for promising to get a player here & not getting it done, what player is going to agree to come to you after you botch it?

Jarryd Lyons for free

Peter Wright for a 4th Rounder

Pick 7 coming with a free Jack Bowes

Common denominator: Gold Coast

Throw in:

Trading Will Brodie for a packet of chips
Refusing Carlton's offer of a second rounder for Jack Martin so he leaves for nothing - luckily he hasn't done heaps since
Trading Jack Scrimshaw for virtually nothing
Delisting Greenwood expecting him to move to the rookie list but then giving him up to North for nothing

And then some of the worst like:

Getting Rory Atkins in as a free agent on a long term deal
Trading pick 2 for Lachie Weller

Yep agreed, that's a different discussion though. In the end Adelaide made out like bandits offering what we did and we used the leverage of PSD as we should being in the position we were. I think the club did a good job on this, we paid unders comfortably but probably not bad enough that Sydney is out for blood in any future trades.

There's a difference between what someone is worth & what you pay. My commentary has been that he was 'worth' more than we ultimately offered up (& a 2nd round pick which some claimed was ('fair') which has been proven correct has it not? It's great for us that we were able to get him here for far less than he was worth because of PSD, we used its leverage and more clubs should do that whilst at the bottom but there is still a line between taking it too far & damaging your ability to trade respectfully in the future which seems lost on some. If we offered Sydney a 2nd rounder & refused to budge they would have tested out the PSD quite probably& rightfully so given it wasn't even in the ball park of what he should have gotten them. Then if someone else grabs Dawson first we look like absolute fools for promising to get a player here & not getting it done, what player is going to agree to come to you after you botch it?

I personally believe the Crows damaged a lot of good will between themselves and The Swans over The Dawson trade, I personally don't think they'll be helping you out in the near future, especially if you need points for Academy or F/S bids.

Kinnear Beatson can seriously harbour a grudge for years :)

I personally believe the Crows damaged a lot of good will between themselves and The Swans over The Dawson trade, I personally don't think they'll be helping you out in the near future, especially if you need points for Academy or F/S bids.

Possibly, time will tell I guess.

I'm sure it was a small part of their bid on Michalanney last year at the draft. To be fair if the situations are reversed down the line some day I'd expect them to use PSD leverage in the same manner & I wouldn't have an issue with it.

The PSD is one of the tools struggling clubs have available to try rebuild their list a tiny bit faster so I'm all for any struggling rebuilding club using it. Personally think how Adelaide used it with Sydney was ok, we offered unders but didn't try rob them blind & offer some garbage pick (2nd or 3rd rounder) to basically walk him to PSD. It's leverage, it exists, clubs are negligent not to use it but shouldn't cry when the favour is returned by another struggling club down the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson
Nankervis
Cameron
Aliir
Hewett
Membrey
Rohan

All gone with not much in return for the Swans relative to their quality.

Cry me a river, you’ve been kissed on the dick with academies, COLA and more over the years

Can't top the Brian Lake trade IMO.

Was the missing piece of the puzzle that brought us three flags and a normie for himself.

Lake and 27 for 21 and 43.

We traded 27 and Stephen Gilham to GWS to nab Jed Anderson whom we later traded to North for a 1st round pick that would become Ryan Burton.

Incredible value.

Or we still held a grudge over Tippett-gate. ;)

Cry me a river, you’ve been kissed on the dick with academies, COLA and more over the years
Firstly I wasn't complaining I was just discussing because it's relevant to this thread

Second if our Academy was just half as good as what BigFooty thinks I'd be absolutely rapt.

Thirdly Cola finished over a decade ago

#standbyhirdy

Last edited:
Still think you won that...

Tippo was the kind of player that made coaches and fans lose their hair faster than they needed to...
I was half joking as honestly Tippett gate was down to the gross incompetence of Trigg's leadership.

I was annoyed at the time that the Swans took advantage knowing of the illegal clause... but we kicked an own goal.

Last edited:
he was stolen and crows massively underpaid, trying to pretend they didnt is ridiculous.

However every club would do the same, swings and roundabouts, so well done to them, I still enjoy watching him get better and better

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Is Jordan Dawson the best value trade in the last couple of years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back