The Vegan debate - a meating of the minds

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand where meat comes from, my family has owned farms.
I'm sure that's true. In no way was my post a reply to your previous posts.

I suspect though that your experience is not the norm; it certainly wasn't the norm for me. It was only post-30 that I ceased being a mindless consumer of food and began to understand where my food came from, thus allowing me to make conscious decisions on what I consumed.

Last edited:
I love food, in all its guises, and I don't make the best decisions all the time. When I do make bad decisions however, I do so with the recognition that I'm making a bad decision, and I have to deal with the dissonance this causes. I suspect that that dissonance helps me to make better decisions occasionally.

It's (I'm) a work in progress...

morally, ethically if I thought about it too much I'd be a vegetarian - so I try not to (think about it). It does seem the way of the future though - meat will be much more of a luxury. Won't someone think of the mung beans, they have feelings too?!

It's ok to eat fish / 'Cause they don't have any feelings

#nirvanatoldmeso

That may be the case for some but the blanket call is somewhat naive.

Just look at all the things we thought were cool in our lifetimes that we now view as being primitive.
We'll all get used to being vegan one day, when the notion of slaughter becomes something we'd sooner not know our fore-fathers having been capable of.
Thats fair enough. Some people for whatever reason can't eat meat. Most of them make that choice.
I'll never get used to being a vegan because I'll never attempt to be one. My body needs the type of protein only meat can provide and I thoroughly enjoy it. As far as the way the animals are brought to slaughter I can't say i like the methods they use. If it were up to me it would be a more humane and painless way, as opposed to a more cost efficient way. I can't change that and the meat will always be there so I might as well give myself and my kids the best protein available.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

A vegan is someone craving attention or control, sometimes both. If eating meat is wrong then we should hurry up and tell all the animals around the world to stop as they are doing it all wrong.. We know better.

Sweeping statements are not your friend.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Don't get why people have a problem about the killing of animals (for our consumption). I grew up on a farm and every year we killed a cow and lamb, left minimum waste (dogs probably got that anyway) and our family had meat to feed ourselves for the entire year. I've done the deed and you feel bad for the animal but are also grateful for what it is giving you. It's a necessity if you want the best for you and your family. In summer drought, you're rolling out the hay or grain and may even need to buy water if it's so dry, so you are keeping them alive also...if we do not eat them, why not kill them to simply stop from eating and drinking our much needed resources? How badly will no cattle, sheep, pig effect our ecosystem if the world can sustain a vegetarian lifestyle? (something I don't think probable although genetics will be key) Do I want genetic modified products...**** no, though most in at coles n woolys are already that.

We use more water to grow cashews/almonds than meat, almost 4 times the amount chicken can be produced.

Last edited:
Don't get why people have a problem about the killing of animals (for our consumption). I grew up on a farm and every year we killed a cow and lamb, left minimum waste (dogs probably got that anyway) and our family had meat to feed ourselves for the entire year. I've done the deed and you feel bad for the animal but are also grateful for what it is giving you. It's a necessity if you want the best for you and your family. In summer drought, you're rolling out the hay or grain and may even need to buy water if it's so dry, so you are keeping them alive also...if we do not eat them, why not kill them to simply stop from eating and drinking our much needed resources? How badly will no cattle, sheep, pig effect our ecosystem if the world can sustain a vegetarian lifestyle? (something I don't think probable although genetics will be key) Do I want genetic modified products...**** no, though most in at coles n woolys are already that.

I'm vegetarian, similarly I grew up on a farm, I don't have much of a problem with the scenario that you put forward (though it's not for me) as there's minimal wastage.
It's the large scale farming of beef etc where the animals are treated as a borderline science experiments that i take issue with.
I'm echoing Harker a bit here but suss out Earthlings, it can be tough viewing but you take away plenty from it.

30hn3ie.jpg

Predator v Prey.

I'm vegetarian, similarly I grew up on a farm, I don't have much of a problem with the scenario that you put forward (though it's not for me) as there's minimal wastage.
It's the large scale farming of beef etc where the animals are treated as a borderline science experiments that i take issue with.
I'm echoing Harker a bit here but suss out Earthlings, it can be tough viewing but you take away plenty from it.

Understand that, disagree with some practices in the commercial sector also but to me that has nothing to with actually eating meat, it's the government laws in how you can slaughter/raise the animal that need to change or be properly regulated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good lord! :straining:

I'm frustrated - I have read all this insightful stuff and still don't know who won the be kind to animals competition and if you don't say something like 'yeah lets all eat veg' and pick a fight with a meat eater... - you must be a cruel unkind to animals type..:rolleyes:

We (my family and I) are making a conscious effort to eat less meat, and more veg and fish/seafood.
So a shift towards a more pescatarian diet.
This is as much about our feelings towards animals, as it is towards acknowledging that reams of research suggests less meat is better for you.
Yes I know a fish is an animal, but when I look into the eyes of a cow who is about to be slaughtered, I see my dog's eyes, if that makes sense.
Most people when they think what they'll have for dinner, immediately resort to thinking what meat they'll have. Meat is for so many the centre, the cornerstone of a meal.
As a family we are challenging ourselves to try and think differently. To think "why do we automatically think MEAT first?".
I have lived too long eating meat, to give it up overnight. I don't think I will ever give it up totally, but I am eating a lot less of it now.
And when we do eat it, we try and do it well, properly. I don't mean 'well done', but we will eat good meat, at a nice place.
I have shot and killed and gutted animals before - rabbits, wild boar. And I don't think that gives me a right to eat meat, if anything it put me off it more.
But I agree with ODN, not everyone has such a choice.
But, if things do get dire, there is apparently a lot of seaweed yet to be eaten...

We (my family and I) are making a conscious effort to eat less meat, and more veg and fish/seafood.
So a shift towards a more pescatarian diet.
This is as much about our feelings towards animals, as it is towards acknowledging that reams of research suggests less meat is better for you.
Yes I know a fish is an animal, but when I look into the eyes of a cow who is about to be slaughtered, I see my dog's eyes, if that makes sense.
Most people when they think what they'll have for dinner, immediately resort to thinking what meat they'll have. Meat is for so many the centre, the cornerstone of a meal.
As a family we are challenging ourselves to try and think differently. To think "why do we automatically think MEAT first?".
I have lived too long eating meat, to give it up overnight. I don't think I will ever give it up totally, but I am eating a lot less of it now.
And when we do eat it, we try and do it well, properly. I don't mean 'well done', but we will eat good meat, at a nice place.
I have shot and killed and gutted animals before - rabbits, wild boar. And I don't think that gives me a right to eat meat, if anything it put me off it more.
But I agree with ODN, not everyone has such a choice.
But, if things do get dire, there is apparently a lot of seaweed yet to be eaten...
Insects are the new meat, or supposedly will be. One day.

A vegan is someone craving attention or control, sometimes both. If eating meat is wrong then we should hurry up and tell all the animals around the world to stop as they are doing it all wrong.. We know better.

Yeah I might start shitting in my house too while we're at it !

Yep Harker is spot on we're very much conditioned in food choices and most things in life actually by varocious capital interes that are profit driven.
Humans and environment are the losers unfortunately.
As food as goes external packaging, it's color and taste.
The length of time it will be in the chiller or on the shelve so preservatives etc are all conditioned and controlled.
It's truly amazing what we've allowed to take place in the name of greed and enterprise.

I didn't 'like' your post because I like what you said or because you agree with me, but because I know it to be true.

It's unfortunate that humans have been conditioned to do many things they simply wouldn't do in the normal course of things.............so many things...............but the funniest part...........well, not really funny...........is that we then justify them just because it's what we're used to.

The day will come (should come, all things being equal) where the notion of eating another's flesh (yes, even those dirty, undeserving animals) will be abhorrent and uncivilized. It's.......................natural.

Lol how did this become a topic did I start a thread without knowing it?

And getting back to the vegan thing, what would happen to all the pubs that have steak & parma nights if we stopped eating meat?

Tofu steak and palm heart nights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back