Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another Eagles sample guernsey went for big dollars the other day. It's definitely not a player issue (maybe the buyer realised this afterwards as they abandoned their purchase). Most Eagles collectors know this, but the dead giveaway is the HJ's box on the back, which is positioned a lot lower on the prototypes. It does have watermarks though, which is a bit odd considering the #12 sample Patterz123 used to own didn't.

uP2Ause.png

What a PI looks like...

I1UMArM.jpg
Isn't the giveaway how high (and big?) the AFL logo is?

Isn't the giveaway how high (and big?) the AFL logo is?

Nope, this guernsey is a special one because of how the AFL logo and subsequently the smaller sponsor logo.

fWVtmvl.jpg

Eagles just posted this to Instagram. They’ve either photoshopped this (most likely) or have made new burger guernseys and organised a photo shoot with Nicnat and shot new images (least likely).

If it is a ‘shop, they’ve done an amazing job - getting the logo under his thumb and dreds, and it doesn’t look like there was an existing HJ logo at all.

fWVtmvl.jpg

Eagles just posted this to Instagram. They’ve either photoshopped this (most likely) or have made new burger guernseys and organised a photo shoot with Nicnat and shot new images (least likely).

If it is a ‘shop, they’ve done an amazing job - getting the logo under his thumb and dreds, and it doesn’t look like there was an existing HJ logo at all.

The angle that the burger logo is on and the contrast difference between it and the rest of the jumpers makes me pretty certain it's a Photoshop, and a really good one too.

Very possible that the Eagles have backtracked on the wordmark and are already doing their best to distance themselves, which is a wise decision. Burger looks much cleaner and is more identifiable to the general public than the wordmark

fWVtmvl.jpg

It’d be from the same photo shoot as the below, so looks like it is just a really good shoop.

644998.jpg

What’s the point of the shop though, unless there’s going to be a mid season change??
It’ll be an HJ’s thing. Their brand is the buns, but the text is more legible during play? Something along those lines I would assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can confidently say I’d never have noticed had you not said anything, and I can still barely notice. Detracts 0% form the overall glory of the piece in my eyes - particularly as it was a gift.

It's a great piece. I probably would have picked up the general version (Flying High) when it was 50% off in the AFL Store had it had the correct GF logo.

Here's the sample version the Eagles displayed where they used a genuine 2018 patch.

XfNyWDL.jpeg

random bump after well over a year since the last post in here, but here goes.

I was looking for the image of that Don Pyke long sleeved 94 grand final guernsey (there’s an eBay link but it’s obviously expired) We were talking about it back in 2015 (how time flys ay) and I was always curious as to it’s legitimacy. There were questions about the wing spacing on the back, and the no rear hungry Jacks sponsor. After getting a hold of one exactly the same, but this one being Guy McKennas, I started researching to find out what the deal was. Footage from the 94 season, shows multiple games with our players wearing long sleeves. All of them were wearing 93 guernseys (so no rear sponsor) Pyke, McKenna and Matera were the most regular ones to wear them, and in one game at Whitten Oval, there were 7 players wearing them (Pyke, McKenna, Matera, Jako, Lewis, Suma and Symonds, at least I think it was symonds) so I’m starting to think there were at least a few players who had long sleeved guernseys made up for the 94 grand final, especially since I’ve now seen 2 of them, and both of players who wore Longys during that era.

Forecast for GF day of 94 was 15 degrees, nice chilly Melbourne day, so it makes sense. I reckon the Eagles didn’t get specific 94 long sleeved guernseys made up with the rear sponsor, and so just stitched the GF badge onto the 93 Longys, for those that might want one. Means there could be a fair few more of them out there in the wilderness somewhere.

random bump after well over a year since the last post in here, but here goes.

I was looking for the image of that Don Pyke long sleeved 94 grand final guernsey (there’s an eBay link but it’s obviously expired) We were talking about it back in 2015 (how time flys ay) and I was always curious as to it’s legitimacy. There were questions about the wing spacing on the back, and the no rear hungry Jacks sponsor. After getting a hold of one exactly the same, but this one being Guy McKennas, I started researching to find out what the deal was. Footage from the 94 season, shows multiple games with our players wearing long sleeves. All of them were wearing 93 guernseys (so no rear sponsor) Pyke, McKenna and Matera were the most regular ones to wear them, and in one game at Whitten Oval, there were 7 players wearing them (Pyke, McKenna, Matera, Jako, Lewis, Suma and Symonds, at least I think it was symonds) so I’m starting to think there were at least a few players who had long sleeved guernseys made up for the 94 grand final, especially since I’ve now seen 2 of them, and both of players who wore Longys during that era.

Forecast for GF day of 94 was 15 degrees, nice chilly Melbourne day, so it makes sense. I reckon the Eagles didn’t get specific 94 long sleeved guernseys made up with the rear sponsor, and so just stitched the GF badge onto the 93 Longys, for those that might want one. Means there could be a fair few more of them out there in the wilderness somewhere.
I commented back in the day.. no doubt its legit..

they only ordered short sleeves with back sponsors for 94...there would have been plans already for the new style in 95..

the longys would have been 91 jumpers when they started sewing the eagles logo on.. can match a lot of the jumpers year after year back then . they just changed the patches over if they needed to update them .

some of the short sleeve back sponsor ones even still have the close wings still also (eg not new 94 jumpers but reused 91-93).. I remember seeing heady wearing one with a tiny hungry jacks along the back

they only ordered short sleeves with back sponsors for 94...there would have been plans already for the new style in 95..

the longys would have been 91 jumpers when they started sewing the eagles logo on.. can match a lot of the jumpers year after year back then . they just changed the patches over if they needed to update them .

some of the short sleeve back sponsor ones even still have the close wings still also (eg not new 94 jumpers but reused 91-93).. I remember seeing heady wearing one with a tiny hungry jacks along the back

Yeah I’ve seen some 94 footage of the smaller HJs text on the back. Seems odd though that they’d do that for some 93 sleeveless, but not do the same for the long sleeved ones? Surely it wouldn’t have been hard to do. Who knows, just a bit of an oddity to go along with all the other ones through the 90s with Eagles jumpers

Yeah I’ve seen some 94 footage of the smaller HJs text on the back. Seems odd though that they’d do that for some 93 sleeveless, but not do the same for the long sleeved ones? Surely it wouldn’t have been hard to do. Who knows, just a bit of an oddity to go along with all the other ones through the 90s with Eagles jumpers
yeh kinda has a country footy feel about it.. long sleeves stashed away and forgotten about unless someone wanted one.. not really treated part of the game day set

If the Longys were 91s to start with, you’d think they’d have a few more stitch marks or outlines around the AFL logo. You’d assume they’d make some up for the 91 & 92 GF, and then have to take the GF patch off, and stitch the regular AFL badge back on, leaving inprints and stitch marks of all the different badges. The McKenna one has clearly only ever had the AFL badge, and now the 94 GF patch, which makes me think it’s from 93, and probably no earlier. Looks to be the jumper he wore in the 93 semi final loss to Essendon, and then throughout 94 on at least 4 occasions I could find footage of. So I reckon any others out there would maybe be the same. There’s footage of Pyke wearing a longy against the Crows at Football Park in 94, where the number 1 is pretty much touching the rear wing, which matches the one that sold on EBay as a 94 GF jumper.

If the Longys were 91s to start with, you’d think they’d have a few more stitch marks or outlines around the AFL logo. You’d assume they’d make some up for the 91 & 92 GF, and then have to take the GF patch off, and stitch the regular AFL badge back on, leaving inprints and stitch marks of all the different badges. The McKenna one has clearly only ever had the AFL badge, and now the 94 GF patch, which makes me think it’s from 93, and probably no earlier. Looks to be the jumper he wore in the 93 semi final loss to Essendon, and then throughout 94 on at least 4 occasions I could find footage of. So I reckon any others out there would maybe be the same. There’s footage of Pyke wearing a longy against the Crows at Football Park in 94, where the number 1 is pretty much touching the rear wing, which matches the one that sold on EBay as a 94 GF jumper.
yeh I know the jumper.. yeh you could be right .. they didn't seem to have "year" sets back then.. but if there's no other marks maybe is?

I seen the 93 metropolis sleeveless for sale last year.. it was the same jumper he kicked 8 in 92.. just with new sgio logo..

I got mcintoshs 93 away jumper .. the 93 ones seemed to have the hj logo slightly off the wing ..

have the same theory even in 05/06.. the guys with the brighter orcha logo jumpers (2005 jumpers) in the 06 GF were the guys who didn't play in 05 GF.. seems like they only replaced the jumpers that had logo ironed on them in 05 and reused the rest

congrats on that jumper.. been on the lookout for a older gf jumper for ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back