The Western United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the go with the stadium? Any updated photos? Nothing from the club in a long time

Am I Dorothy Dix, something here:

Flyers out for Western Melbourne’s $2b sports precinct​

Jun 27, 2023

Melbourne could be one step closer to a new 15,000-seat football stadium in its western suburbs as flyers for Western Melbourne Group hit inboxes.

The group, headed by Jaszac Investment’s Jason Sourasis, is seeking investment to continue construction of its long-awaited privately owned sports and recreation-driven precinct in the city’s fast-growing western suburbs, according to an investment memorandum seen by Street Talk.

The ambitious $2 billion project, set to cover 62.5 hectares in Tarneit, will house a commercial central business district, residential townhouses and apartments and sports facilities including a world-class football stadium, restaurants, shops and an entertainment district.

Jaszac is the primary funder of WMG with about $55 million invested to date. The private investment company also owns Hemisphere Management Group – one of the AFL’s top player management agencies – and the A-League-licensed Western United Football Club, set up by WMG in 2018.

The licence helped establish the public-private partnership with WCC, according to the memorandum prepped by consulting outfit Sayers Group.

So the fixture just released and every single home game venue for this club is listed as TBC.

Where's the stadium? Where's the training ground they were expecting to play out of by now?

Infuriating this club got in over a SE based team.

So the fixture just released and every single home game venue for this club is listed as TBC.

Where's the stadium? Where's the training ground they were expecting to play out of by now?

Infuriating this club got in over a SE based team.

Home games to be played in Bacchus Marsh.

Home games are listed as TBC because the club is still hopeful of playing at least some games at the Tarneit Regional Football Facility this season. They are expecting to make further announcements "from as early as next week".

This is what has been communicated to members in an email sent earlier today.

wufc2023.jpg

Last night's squad.. I wandered down & had a look just cuz I happened to be in the area. Wet after heavy rain, GCK unlucky not to score early in the first half, WU then came out in the second and dominated for the most part as expected. Nice little facility GCK's have opposite Carrara there.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 231549.png

New Capo's: Josh Risdon (C) middle, Steven Lustica (VC) left, Tomoki Imai (VC) right.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 225005.png

New jersey's looking sharp, I like what they've done with the stripes, reminds me of the Inter Milan's Pirelli tyer tread jersey from a few years back.

WU have a home game against Brisbane in 3 weeks that has a venue of TBC (first of many). I assume this was meant to be played at their training ground? Anyone know whats going on with either of this clubs grounds they're supposedly building?

WU have a home game against Brisbane in 3 weeks that has a venue of TBC (first of many). I assume this was meant to be played at their training ground? Anyone know whats going on with either of this clubs grounds they're supposedly building?

Long story short: the training stadium looks likely to become the main stadium, so realistically will top out at 5,000 capacity for a facility that's neither serviced by paved roads or public transport. The pre-Christmas home game timeline looks completely unrealistic.

Insane. Bloke just tweeted
Long story short: the training stadium looks likely to become the main stadium, so realistically will top out at 5,000 capacity for a facility that's neither serviced by paved roads or public transport. The pre-Christmas home game timeline looks completely unrealistic.

Crazy. The bloke just tweeted an aus stadiums link showing the first game there is scheduled on the 7th of Jan. Looks a way out from being ready...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insane. Bloke just tweeted

Crazy. The bloke just tweeted an aus stadiums link showing the first game there is scheduled on the 7th of Jan. Looks a way out from being ready...

Can hardly see a tree in sight out there. Imagine a 3pm game in mid summer.......

WU have confirmed that this Brisbane game will be at AAMI Park:
Western United confirms final A-Leagues fixtures for 2023

Next home game after that is 7 Jan against Melb City, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's at AAMI too.

The main stadium is definitely happening, it's being jointly funded by City of Wyndham & Symonds:

There's no way that the project is not going ahead as it has now been funded.

The main stadium is definitely happening, it's being jointly funded by City of Wyndham & Symonds:

There's no way that the project is not going ahead as it has now been funded.

Western Melbourne Group is trying to secure funding for the main stadium - it is still a long way off.

Western Melbourne Group is trying to secure funding for the main stadium - it is still a long way off.

The council has agreed and has funded it. No way it doesn't happen. Symonds have deep pockets and will finance it because they'll be the main company to build houses.

It's happening.

Saw on Reddit that during last night's TV commentary (Jets v WUFC) Robbie Thomson said that WU players' match payments were delayed.
Bit of a worry if true - cash flow problems?
Thats concerning if true no wonder the performances have been poor. Time for the club to be put under the microscope on what the hell is going on especially on what is happening with that stadium, it was the biggest draw card why they won the licence and yet all they have offered is a simple training base so far. Not good enough.

Surely not. Symonds are swimming in cash.
Simonds ended their partnership with WUFC in September when the original 2-year partnership expired.
It's all a bit weird/worrying: Simonds bowing out, no investment in the squad, slow progress with the stadium, now Robbie Thomson's little bombshell.

The annual Western United stadium assurance article, Its really really happening now or soon or later. :rolleyes:
Nothing we haven't already heard about in that article its still all the some recycled word salad that gets rehashed every few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Western United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back