Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doss me not being a bourbon drinker (and I am assuming you are based on that awesome gift), can you tell me if you have been to the Kodiak Club on Brunswick St and if so, what I bourbons I should check out when I go there? Got a bux heading there in a few weeks.

Doss me not being a bourbon drinker (and I am assuming you are based on that awesome gift), can you tell me if you have been to the Kodiak Club on Brunswick St and if so, what I bourbons I should check out when I go there? Got a bux heading there in a few weeks.
I'll check out their list and let you know, mate.

Elijah Craig 12 is an excellent, accessible bourbon

shouldn't be too expensive

I always hark back to the Knob Creek Reserve I bought home from New York two years ago.

60% and just delicious.

One problem however- it was $110 retail in Australia when I last checked and that was two years ago. By comparison, it was $37 in NYC. Our alcohol taxes are just rudely steep.

I have one bourbon at home at present- Woodford Reserve.

I always hark back to the Knob Creek Reserve I bought home from New York two years ago.

60% and just delicious.

One problem however- it was $110 retail in Australia when I last checked and that was two years ago. By comparison, it was $37 in NYC. Our alcohol taxes are just rudely steep.

I have one bourbon at home at present- Woodford Reserve.
Duty Free Alcohol is a fantastic thing.

It's considerably cheaper, yes, but not to that extent. It's usually about 20-30% less than you'd pay for retail.

If you want ridiculously cheap scotch/bourbon...Vietnam. Though you'll have a much reduced range to choose from.

Eagle Rare make excellent bourbon.

Woodfords Reserve Double Oaked is incredible.

Bookers is well worth a try.

Also make sure you ask the bar man to give you a few Ryes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagle Rare make excellent bourbon.

Woodfords Reserve Double Oaked is incredible.

Bookers is well worth a try.

Also make sure you ask the bar man to give you a few Ryes too.
Awesome. Much appreciated mate. Having no knowledge, this info is gold.

Hello friends,

Great thread, enjoyed reading it.

I am a strong advocate of cheap whiskey, perhaps because I maintain a strong dichotomy between swill and whiskey. I also maintain Glenfiddich 12 (and similar) ≠whiskey. Some brief points in relation to the virtues of swill;
  • Economy and importance as a standard for cocktails. Perhaps not to the extent of Portsmouth gin, though.
  • There is nothing inherently wrong with swill, rather the problem is with the individuals conceptualisation of reality.
  • An outstanding drinking companion. A elderly Glaswegian demonstrated the art and joy of in-tandem drinking of Bellhaven Best and a standard 12 YO Scotch.
  • A classless drink, can be enjoyed as readily by Josh Frydenberg as it can be by a stevedore in Geelong.

If the dichotomy is upheld whereby swill and whiskey are considered in different terms, one can easily enjoy one as much as the other.

-------------------------------------------------

Laphroaig 10 is my standard, I prefer it to the triple barrel and I think it represents good value. I think I've enjoyed everything I've had from Islay.

Been trying a few more international whiskeys lately, and more traditional ones as recommended by the Bearded Man at the Rob Roy. Lark, as recommended by others Lark 43% is very good, although awkwardly priced. I equally enjoyed Helleyers 10 and I prefer the balance of the Helleyers. Tassie has much to offer.

Of note too is Bowmore 12. An imperfect Islay single malt, however very endearing. Great mix of sweet fruit and smoke. Surprised to learn Dans sell it.

Massive fan of Scotch.

Straight up and without ice always, except if it's filth like Johnnie Red.

Everyday budget conscious choice? Chivas, Johnnie Black, Glenfiddich 12.

Splash out a bit more? Laphroaig, Ardberg, Glenfiddich 18, Chivas 18.

Preferred style is one with big peaty and smoky notes. Laphroaig is my absolute favourite.

Also a big fan of a good bourbon, also straight up without ice. Preferred ones are Jack Daniels Single Barrell, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek Reserve.

When I was in Vietnam, finding different varieties was, I found, very hard, but Johnnie was everywhere. I therefore came back from there armed with bottles of Blue, Platinum, Gold and Green, for a grand total of around 190 Australian. In Australia, the same would have cost probably around $500. Ah, Vietnam.
I am a fan of the peaty laphroaig - I like a bit of unique character. I know people who hate it for the same reason as I like it though. I like that you like it.

I used to know my bourbon but when I lived in America, I've lost touch a bit now. There is a wealth of stuff out there that you don't see in your local Dan Murphy.

I am a fan of the peaty laphroaig - I like a bit of unique character. I know people who hate it for the same reason as I like it though. I like that you like it.

Love a good peaty single malt. Having said that, I don't mind the less peaty ones either. Come to think of it, there hasn't been all that many I haven't enjoyed. Haven't tried vat 69 yet, and have no plans to.

Parents just got back from their trip in Ireland, Scotland, England and France. Brought back two Scotch's, one from Highland Park called Svein, which is in the islands and Edradour which claims to be the smallest traditional distillery in Scotland. I haven't had the chance to sample either but I'll let you know about them when I do.

Parents just got back from their trip in Ireland, Scotland, England and France. Brought back two Scotch's, one from Highland Park called Svein, which is in the islands and Edradour which claims to be the smallest traditional distillery in Scotland. I haven't had the chance to sample either but I'll let you know about them when I do.
Bit jealous.

They sound like the sort of scotches that would be right up my alley.

Bit jealous.

They sound like the sort of scotches that would be right up my alley.
I guessed you'd be one of the first to reply. I'm a bit excited to have a sample.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back