FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only just discovered this show on ABC2. Went to JB and bought the first 4 seasons for $20 each.

I too have just discovered this show and have ploughed through season 1 in a very short time. It is fantastic. Managed to purchase bootleg copies of seasons 1 thru 5 (saves the bandwidth & effort of downloading).

I really liked the McNulty character, but the self destructive streak is almost overplayed. I guess I want him to be the hero:eek:
Geez I laughed at start of season 2 where he sends off the faxes to get the cases moved onto Rawls dept. Rawls is an awesome side character.

I was intrigued by the resolution of Season 1. It almost felt like a disappointment in that I was expecting more action, but it was realistic. The bad guys get arrested and sentenced.

I think it adds a lot to watch the episode with commentaries. I always watch a whole season then go back and watch again those episodes with commentary.

Sorry for the bump but I just finished watching season 5 last night.

Easily the greatest TV series ever produced.

I started watching the series in early January after I had finished watching Dexter. I think I watched the final season in 3 nights.

Just amazing! It really annoys me that it is not recognised in mainstream media as being one of the greatest TV series of all time. The only way you ever hear about it is from word of mouth. I was lucky I stumbled across The Wire and now I recommend it to everyone.

Favourite character would of course be Omar but excluding him it would be The Bunk. Great character and voice, I love the way he mumbles.

Most hated character would have to be Herc. Just makes me angry how incompetent and self-obsessed he is.

Favourite season, well I’m not too sure. Season 5 was a little too far fetched for my liking but I loved the way it wrapped everything up. I think season 4 was my favourite.

Just finished watching the last ep of season 5.

Quite sad to know i've finished what IMO is the greatest TV Series of all time. Still I think it finished at the right time and went out on a high. Last ep wrapped everything up very well.

Thought it was great how Marlo essentially got away with all his money but lost the one thing that really matters to him, his street rep and his crown.

Good to see Bubbles sort his shit out. Little bit of light in a pretty dark tunnel.

Quite sad to know i've finished what IMO is the greatest TV Series of all time. Still I think it finished at the right time and went out on a high. Last ep wrapped everything up very well.

Thought it was great how Marlo essentially got away with all his money but lost the one thing that really matters to him, his street rep and his crown.

Good to see Bubbles sort his shit out. Little bit of light in a pretty dark tunnel.

Start it again!! I'm on my 3rd veiwing on it and still picking up bits and pieces I missed first two times!!!

Sorry for the bump but I just finished watching season 5 last night.

Easily the greatest TV series ever produced.

I started watching the series in early January after I had finished watching Dexter. I think I watched the final season in 3 nights.

Just amazing! It really annoys me that it is not recognised in mainstream media as being one of the greatest TV series of all time. The only way you ever hear about it is from word of mouth. I was lucky I stumbled across The Wire and now I recommend it to everyone.

Favourite character would of course be Omar but excluding him it would be The Bunk. Great character and voice, I love the way he mumbles.

Most hated character would have to be Herc. Just makes me angry how incompetent and self-obsessed he is.

Favourite season, well I’m not too sure. Season 5 was a little too far fetched for my liking but I loved the way it wrapped everything up. I think season 4 was my favourite.

I absolutely agree with this. I finished watching it a few weeks ago. Still a fantastic series probably my equal favourite along with the original Phoenix which, as Molly Meldrum would say, do yourself a favour and watch it. It's been out on DVD for awhile now.

It was done around the early 90s and is based on the Russell Street car bombing in Melbourne in 1986. IMO is the best Australian drama ever produced.

Too many spoilers bro!

I absolutely agree with this. I finished watching it a few weeks ago. Still a fantastic series probably my equal favourite along with the original Phoenix which, as Molly Meldrum would say, do yourself a favour and watch it. It's been out on DVD for awhile now.

It was done around the early 90s and is based on the Russell Street car bombing in Melbourne in 1986. IMO is the best Australian drama ever produced.

I'll definitely check it out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne Hill Hammer

I'll definitely check it out!

Phoenix -----------chopped liver is----------------Underbelly So1 or S02...totally the best cop show Aust has done ever.

gaso

Well got S01 and S02 at Big W for $12 each and watched the pilot last night with Mrs Gaso and we were impressed....a long way to the end, but looks like we will be sitting down to watch some Eps when other junk is on.

Gaso

My prediction: By episode 6 you'll be absolutely hooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually thinking logically season 3 is a lot more believable and a lot more likely.

As a much milder version, think Hay St in Kalgoorlie. Tolerated for years even though illegal.

Simon said it himself: Too many people knew about Hamsterdam for it not to be found out about up-top compared to the serial killer. No citizens or cops looking for a promotion dobbed it in until late. Only 4, 5 people knew about the serial killer and they knew how to spin it to make it big.

I think you are right BSB. But I found the hamsterdam concept interesting and entertaining so I was happy to ignore the obvious problems. On the other hand I really disliked the serial killer thing and just wanted it to go away.

Series 5 was a letdown IMO. Along with the serial killer I found McNulty's descent too rapid to be believable. Wasn't really keen on the newspaper plot. I never took to the Stanfields like the earlier Barksdales either, particularly Marlo.

Series 1-3 was some of the best TV I have watched and certainly a hard act to follow. Yes I liked Series 2.

God dammit I only just realised there was a thread on this show...easily one of the greatest shows ever. Considering watching it again just to get all the stuff I missed the first time.

Omar Little...he's the man. Also Cheese Wagstaff too I must admit.

Simon said it himself: Too many people knew about Hamsterdam for it not to be found out about up-top compared to the serial killer. No citizens or cops looking for a promotion dobbed it in until late. Only 4, 5 people knew about the serial killer and they knew how to spin it to make it big.

Thin is man, there are areas in Melbourne like that.

Even look at Grey St in St Kilda - there be hookers turning tricks on the street in broad daylight - nobody does anything. Its for the greater good, it keeps it localised.

Or Heroin dealing in Springvale and Box Hill, same thing. Never see any cops
around there.

Or when there's a punch on in Ringwood or Bayswater, cops never show up until someone is bleeding to death. They only come in for the mop up.

Season 3 was really good for painting the way police treat the real problems, they tolerate them as long as they're in poor areas.

I am a big fan of S3, and I agree with your points.

The difference is nobody in authority knowing about it. The bosses and politicians, they did not find out for so long. That is the point I am making and the weakness in the plot, compared to S5.

I am also a big fan of S5. I liked the storyline, the refocus on Jimmy after S4 and all the cameos from the characters.

Awesome show. Another HBO gem along with Oz, Deadwood and The Sopranos. Intelligent, engrossing, thought-provoking. And brilliant characters to boot. Love it! :thumbsu:

And can I add my voice to the posters who have mentioned Phoenix and Blue Murder. Excellent TV. From memory, Simon Westaway played his Noddy character again in a sequel of sorts to Phoenix. It was called Janus and was loosely based on the Walsh Street Police shootings. Concentrated more on the legal side of proceedings, unlike Phoenix which was the Police investigation.

Awesome show. Another HBO gem along with Oz, Deadwood and The Sopranos. Intelligent, engrossing, thought-provoking. And brilliant characters to boot. Love it! :thumbsu:

And can I add my voice to the posters who have mentioned Phoenix and Blue Murder. Excellent TV. From memory, Simon Westaway played his Noddy character again in a sequel of sorts to Phoenix. It was called Janus and was loosely based on the Walsh Street Police shootings. Concentrated more on the legal side of proceedings, unlike Phoenix which was the Police investigation.

One thing we're doing with regards to season 3 is basing our ideas on how we live here and not over there. I liked how unless they had been killed we basically saw everyone in season 5 and saw what they were up to.

There was a second season of Phoenix that dealt with aggravated burglaries that were prevalent in Melbourne at the time and then the third season was Janus.

There was a second season of Phoenix that dealt with aggravated burglaries that were prevalent in Melbourne at the time and then the third season was Janus.

Thanks HHH. I'd forgotten about Phoenix 2. Saw it in JB Hi-Fi yesterday. Fairly hazy with it though, whereas I remember the first series quite well, even though it's years since I saw it. Was it a worthy sequel?

Thanks HHH. I'd forgotten about Phoenix 2. Saw it in JB Hi-Fi yesterday. Fairly hazy with it though, whereas I remember the first series quite well, even though it's years since I saw it. Was it a worthy sequel?

It was good in its' own right but the original is the standout Aussie drama for me. Simon Westaway as Peter Faithful becomes emotionally involved with an elderly couple that are victims from memory. I haven't seen it for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back