Theme songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2006
A house
This has been brought up often in the media in the past but has been quiet for a while. I think one of the worst things in the AFL is the outdated club songs. History aside, what image does this give to the world? It makes us look amateurish.

Best theme song I've ever heard was when the Doggies adopted the Baha Men's 'Who let the dogs out'. At least modern songs put a vibe into the game and get the crowd more involved.

I mean, "So join in the chorus". Pfft, if I wasn't an Aussie, hell if I wasn't raised in an AFL household, I think I'd die of laughter. I practically am and I was born in an AFL household and I'm a passionate roos supporter.

Yeah i agree the afl teams need new songs, since freo is a new team their song is still regarded as more up to date so they can keep theirs cos its probably the best song in the afl anyway, but the rest of the clubs need new songs

Bretski said:
Yeah i agree the afl teams need new songs, since freo is a new team their song is still regarded as more up to date so they can keep theirs cos its probably the best song in the afl anyway, but the rest of the clubs need new songs
I assume you're joking :eek:

I love that the SANFL still trots out The Final Countdown regularly.

40010 said:
This has been brought up often in the media in the past but has been quiet for a while. I think one of the worst things in the AFL is the outdated club songs. History aside, what image does this give to the world? It makes us look amateurish.

Best theme song I've ever heard was when the Doggies adopted the Baha Men's 'Who let the dogs out'. At least modern songs put a vibe into the game and get the crowd more involved.

I mean, "So join in the chorus". Pfft, if I wasn't an Aussie, hell if I wasn't raised in an AFL household, I think I'd die of laughter. I practically am and I was born in an AFL household and I'm a passionate roos supporter.

I cant believe I just read that.

The theme songs is what's incredible about this competition. Shows its culture... where its been. Tells a lot of the clubs and the competition.

How can you actually say that about 'who let the dogs out'? Even doggies supporters were totally over it... instantly! It was embarassing.

The roos theme is fantastic... one of the better, especially the rarely used rumble start! You call yourself a roos supporter, but I reckon im more a roos supporter than you mate!!

RogerRabbit69 said:
I assume you're joking :eek:

Errr no, Freo's song is clearly the best, its catchy and has the best beat to it, hence why it should dtay, i cant see why you would think its not the best

Bretski said:
Errr no, Freo's song is clearly the best, its catchy and has the best beat to it, hence why it should dtay, i cant see why you would think its not the best
richmond are the best freo's is just ****. I hate the part in the sydney one when the banjo starts playing. did somebody say gay? our song goes alright too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40010 said:

Read my opening post:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234967

Never mind the air guitar. Can any new songs written as a result of this thread please feature a ukulele solo? All the best songs have them, and I think it would really get people into the mood.

I try to keep the concept of the Freo team song a secret from most people up here. I get enough jip about the colour combination on the jumper.

Ummmmm no thanks.
Keep the ones we've already got thanks.

"Who Let The Dogs Out" reminds me of a suburb where there are car-bodies on lawns, fat, trashy shielas pushing prams with a Holiday Extra Mild hanging off the lip, Meeekie & Jason, dented to pieces XD Falcon's......... :thumbsdown:

Lets just change everything and call it the American Football League.........

40010 said:

That's one of the worst songs in history.

A "modern vibe". Haha. If we're going to put **** like that in no one will sing along when their team wins... just imagine the whole stadium singing "who let the dogs out". How cringeworthy.

Leave the songs alone. They are good and have a sense of tradition and history.

Some original tunes would be a good start, more than half of them are American and Brisbanes French National Anthem. At least Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast are original words and music. Help me out, are there any more that are true Aussie? When we play Port and Adel I find myself tapping my foot and singing quietly, OMG

40010 said:

I am pretty sure when I heard that happen, it was after a goal, and if I can recall, very similar to basketball. It has no influence on theme songs whatsoever. Any team could do that, but why adapt to a different culture, i guess.

The songs are fine, and traditional. No point changing them. I am with Ari all the way.

I am a traditionalist myself but some of the songs need to have a makeover. They sound like they are being sung by a barber shop quartet. I'm not sure that barber shop quartets were ever that popular. C'mon, fancy using the tune of Lilly of Laguna, I mean. It's embarrassing.

RogerRabbit69 said:
When you take a step back and think about it, it's all very camp - big muscly blokes in tight shorts with their arms around each other singing "heave ho .....".
There are about 5 or 6 teams who's songs are so camp that it is obvious the players are embarrased to sing them. "were a happy team at Hawthorn" is clearly one of them! It is great after a big win and about 8 or 10 beers but sounds so gay when i am straight.
The person who said that Heave ho, way to go was a good song is on illegal substances of some description:eek: .

Songs i love:
We are Geelong
See the Bombers fly up
Oh were from Tigerland

Remove this Banner Ad

Theme songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back