Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, Term 4 starts next week. Expecting a tonne of jobs to be posted.

The busy period for jobs is usually term 3. Most schools know the enrolements, the staff allocations and what they need by then. You will also notice a lot of jobs that come up at the same school, unless you are desperate there is a reason they are always up. High staff turnover probably due to the status of the school. Good luck though.

I left teaching after 4 years at the end of last year, have returned to university and have never been happier. :D

The busy period for jobs is usually term 3. Most schools know the enrolements, the staff allocations and what they need by then. You will also notice a lot of jobs that come up at the same school, unless you are desperate there is a reason they are always up. High staff turnover probably due to the status of the school. Good luck though.

I left teaching after 4 years at the end of last year, have returned to university and have never been happier. :D
From my talkings to various schools whilst CRTing is that they finalise their positions during this holiday period and then post it in Term 4. But we’ll see!

Why did you leave? Burnout? What are you studying now?

From my talkings to various schools whilst CRTing is that they finalise their positions during this holiday period and then post it in Term 4. But we’ll see!

A lot of the more desirable schools have most likely sorted themselves out because they are organised! You can always get a job and then continue to apply elsewhere for other jobs, while you will burn that school forever you still need to look out for yourself and finding the best possible jobs.

A few reasons but the major ones:
a) taught more maths then PE, which was my first method and why I wanted to be a teacher
b) enjoyment wasn't there. Combination of unmotivated teachers around you and attitudes of students.
c) The uncertainty of your job. Having to try and get on-going positions and then if you didn't not sure if you would be rolled over to another contract. That added pressure killed me.

I am now at uni doing building surveying. Ironically I liked learning maths just not teaching it so am putting those skills to use, as well as the teaching stuff. It is so much easier a second time around but then again I am a little older and probably more wiser then my first time at uni.

I find most to be in the first 3-4 weeks of term 4. A lot of times the school can be as organised as they want but if someone applies out, what can they do?

Disagree. 2 days is useless. Blocks is where you learn. 3rd and 4th year students should be having whole term blocks.
I started the two year master of teaching (secondary) in July. They are changing the course at my uni so that there are two pracs that run for 4 weeks and 5 weeks respectively for that exact reason. Makes a lot of sense. The majority of the classes you do are also tailored around how to teach your learning area/s (other than generic education theory at the start).

So with 6 weeks to go in the school year, I think this might be my last 6 weeks as a teacher for the foreseeable future. Right now its just a job, nothing more, nothing less.

So with 6 weeks to go in the school year, I think this might be my last 6 weeks as a teacher for the foreseeable future. Right now its just a job, nothing more, nothing less.
That sucks mate. Any reason what made you think like that?

I've been struggling with work at the moment and being constantly overlooked for team leader.

I can't believe the government are making us work another week. I'm quite an entertaining teacher if I say so myself, but I'm running short of energy and material.

I was teaching a straight grade 6 today in the outer suburbs. Good luck to their teacher in the final week. Walking over chairs and tables and chucking shit around, play fighting all over the classroom.
"Would you behave like this if Mr C was here?" I asked
"Yeah probably he lets us do anything"

Maybe that's why he's had the last two days off I hope he's back for graduation. I'm not taking those dickheads again!

Luckily I'm a CRT so I'm finishing next Wednesday, then off down the the Great Ocean Road.

No way do I want full time work but I wouldn't mind a 2 day a week position. I'm annoyed that other people are being looked after & given these jobs and I'm not. There was a two day a week job I'd be great at but the head says he can only afford a grad.

Oh well. 5 weeks without pay and back to CRTing. Might offer my services as a tutor/baby sitter/ child counsellor over the last couple of weeks of term, I have strong connections with a lot of families in my area.

Last edited:
I can't believe the government are making us work another week. I'm quite an entertaining teacher if I say so myself, but I'm running short of energy and material.

Luckily I'm a CRT so I'm finishing next Wednesday, then off down the the Great Ocean Road.

No way do I want full time work but I wouldn't mind a 2 day a week position. I'm annoyed that other people are being looked after & given these jobs and I'm not. There was a two day a week job I'd be great at but the head says he can only afford a grad.

Oh well. 5 weeks without pay and back to CRTing. Might offer my services as a tutor/baby sitter/ child counsellor over the last couple of weeks of term, I have strong connections with a lot of families in my area.
Why can you only work 2 days?

Why can you only work 2 days?

a) Because I want to.
b) I see the stresses 5 day a week teachers are under and I don't want that life.
c) My wife is going back to work two days a week. I plan to look after my 6 month old and 2 year old two days, work at a school two days and CRT the other day. My wife wants more stability than CRTing and I want to learn more about assessment/reporting, planning & I want feel more involved in a school.

a) Because I want to.
b) I see the stresses 5 day a week teachers are under and I don't want that life.
c) My wife is going back to work two days a week. I plan to look after my 6 month old and 2 year old two days, work at a school two days and CRT the other day. My wife wants more stability than CRTing and I want to learn more about assessment/reporting, planning & I want feel more involved in a school.
Schools are loathe to give 2 days to ongoing employees, let alone a new one. I appreciate your situation, but it's difficult to get that. I hated CRTing when I did it.

I hear you. The government balls this up and bowed to pressures to have us finish only 3 days before Christmas. Staff at my school are spent mentally and physically whilst our prin is expecting a proper week curriculum with SFA resources as we had to hand back all reading books and math equipment.

Doesnt help our CRT budget is spent meaning grades are split across the whole school and only replaced if desperately needed.

I liked doing CRT but with my current salary level I would be worse off so no point going back to it.

Sucks that Im that high up its near impossible to get a job elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schools are loathe to give 2 days to ongoing employees, let alone a new one. I appreciate your situation, but it's difficult to get that. I hated CRTing when I did it.

There's quite a few of these jobs in the schools I teach at but they're going to staff back from maternity leave. Fair enough I suppose as I'm 'just' the CRT but at one school in particular I go well above & beyond the regular CRT role. I do a lot of extra stuff with the kids, parents and school community.

That sucks mate. Any reason what made you think like that?

I've been struggling with work at the moment and being constantly overlooked for team leader.

Just isn’t for me I don’t think. May be a function of the environment I’m in, but I enjoyed working in small business much more than teaching. Funnily enough I loved my classes, just not the people above me in the staff pecking order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's quite a few of these jobs in the schools I teach at but they're going to staff back from maternity leave. Fair enough I suppose as I'm 'just' the CRT but at one school in particular I go well above & beyond the regular CRT role. I do a lot of extra stuff with the kids, parents and school community.

..it's the law mate. Has nothing to do with your status as 'just' the CRT.

..it's the law mate. Has nothing to do with your status as 'just' the CRT.

If someone goes on family leave then they get their position back when they return and the teacher they are replacing has to leave. But that's not what's happening.People are asking for jobs for two days a week and getting them, sharing grades with another teacher.

If someone goes on family leave then they get their position back when they return and the teacher they are replacing has to leave. But that's not what's happening.People are asking for jobs for two days a week and getting them, sharing grades with another teacher.
The schools have to allow them to do that I'm pretty sure. If they want to come back then the school must take them, if a person wants to only work part time, then they can choose to do that.

The schools have to allow them to do that I'm pretty sure. If they want to come back then the school must take them, if a person wants to only work part time, then they can choose to do that.

Fair enough. I don’t have a problem with it really but for very complicated reasons 2017 has been a terrible year for me and the school knows this and I need a bit of looking after. I had a two day a week job but before it could be formalised a massive health disaster happened in my family and someone else got my job. The principal tells me to hang tight and something will come up he has no budget left for me

Fair enough. I don’t have a problem with it really but for very complicated reasons 2017 has been a terrible year for me and the school knows this and I need a bit of looking after. I had a two day a week job but before it could be formalised a massive health disaster happened in my family and someone else got my job. The principal tells me to hang tight and something will come up he has no budget left for me
That's no good mate. It's a balancing act for the prins but most of them are better handballers than Diesel Williams. Able to deflect blame with ease.

Just isn’t for me I don’t think. May be a function of the environment I’m in, but I enjoyed working in small business much more than teaching. Funnily enough I loved my classes, just not the people above me in the staff pecking order.
Happens everywhere in schools. People who have been teaching far less years being promoted to team leader with no experience over others who have taken roles such as Union Rep and special events leader. My team leader this year has only been teaching for 2 years and I know a teacher who ended up being put in a team where her old student teacher was made team leader.

Most often than not its the brown nosers and 'yes' people who get made team leader and put up in the pecking order. I dont envy it nor do I want it. I sit back and watch the graduate olympics where they all jump over each other to prove themselves and get made a team leader where they don't actually get paid any more money than those who aren't, all the while they get laden with additional work and meetings. I prefer to focus my time and effort making my lessons fun and bonding with my students and their parents.

The thing I do not like is where the Prins talk to each other and sabotage the chances of staff leaving to get a job at another school. I've heard from reliable ex colleagues who have struggled to get a position elsewhere because the prin has given a negative reference because they dont want to lose that staff member.

A friend of mine has just been demoted from team leader. She reckons she’s too forthright and tells it like it is, the management team only want to hear good news and can’t handle problems.

A friend of mine has just been demoted from team leader. She reckons she’s too forthright and tells it like it is, the management team only want to hear good news and can’t handle problems.
Wow. Leadership just want 'Yes' people. The amount of work placed on ours are shocking and they dont get extra pay just 1hr extra time release.

My team leader was told "You do it for the experience." If being given an abundance of work and additional meetings is the result, no thanks.

Agree with the last comment. I am a teacher in a primary school- the kids are great, its the other teachers that are the problems. When we finished yesterday, we all left straight away, people who went into the staff room for drinks, just whinge and complain and are so negative. I would advise young people not to get into teaching these days- its actually rarely teaching its about collecting data and having useless meetings and professional development meetings which are a waste. The best teachers are the ones who get along with the kids, listen to them, try to help them and make school enjoyable, because if you make school enjoyable kids will listen and they will probable learn. They wont listen to teachers who can quote page 36 of the Vic Curriculum document.

Remove this Banner Ad

Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back