Coaching Footy Thinking of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 8, 2005
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been thinking of doing some sort of coaching as a few people have said I have logic and the mindset to do it. I've never been able to play because I'm built like a stick sadly (I blame the family genes) and I've always been interested in helping players and balancing creative ideas and logical gameplays.

To get a idea where I should start and what studies to do with this aspect, are there any web sites or places where I should make my first move? I live in Canberra if that helps with your feedback.

heaps of stuff on the net about this.
first stop, afl website, check under development then coaching. thay have a list of accredited courses to do, a lot of this involves prac' so you will need a team to coach. these days, you cannot coach a team until you have level 1 accreditation at the very least.
other websites such as swoopercoach and coachafl are good too.
also, since when did being built like a stick stop you from playing. heard of matty lappin? get out there and have a kick son:thumbsu:

I weight about 57kgs and yes I'm still standing. I get it from my father sadly. I shall look at those courses, I have missed the Canberra ones which I hope there will be more during the year. I believe I need the course completed before going to a club to coach.

coaching is a good idea as you dont need to skills to do it just the midset and knowledge of the game as you said. get involved with your local club and talk to others then do a course. Im also considering in coaching soon as i have a beginners certificate accridited by the Australian sports commision http://www.ausport.gov.au/participating/coaches i think you can still do it online, and this one can take ages to complete but you can save your results and do it another day. I have completed a AFL auskick course as well which enables me to teach all junior grades i believe.

Try getting involved with any of the ACTAFL Clubs. I know teams in the old Canberra Districts leagues (ANU, Ainslie Div 3 & 4 etc) are always keen for helpers.

From experience, you can never have too many helpers on match day, try and either be a runner or team manager (hand out kits, teams sheets etc).

Since when have you needed to do a course to coach and at what levels?

Coaching accreditation has been in VCFL for around 15 years and has tried to be inforced strongly for the last 10-12 years, at Senior level , that I know of.

you cannot coach a football team whether junior or senior unless you have a level 1 afl coaching accreditation. this is a 3 day course that is split and involves prac, theory and a presentation.
there are coaches out there coaching that dont have this, i know of one that is putting someone elses coach accreditation number on the team sheets every week.
the level 1 is not hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when have you needed to do a course to coach and at what levels?
It has been around a while now and your local league should be promoting it if you are interested. If you are already involved in coaching a club it is well worth the effort to learn a bit more about it.
I am sure it is mandatory in WA as well as other states now

I've joined as a Team Manager for couple months and it's been good fun. Still trying to get to know the players as I'm a tad shy possibly because I'm more of the small guy surrounded by big men.

There's a course in September for youth and juniors which I might do. I still like to learn some of the terms of football and ideas. Pretty much to learn anything I can.

I've joined as a Team Manager for couple months and it's been good fun. Still trying to get to know the players as I'm a tad shy possibly because I'm more of the small guy surrounded by big men.

There's a course in September for youth and juniors which I might do. I still like to learn some of the terms of football and ideas. Pretty much to learn anything I can.

good on you.
do the course, the shyness will disappear naturally because the team manager has a fair bit to organise on actual game day so you'll be too busy to worry about it.

you cannot coach a football team whether junior or senior unless you have a level 1 afl coaching accreditation. this is a 3 day course that is split and involves prac, theory and a presentation.
there are coaches out there coaching that dont have this, i know of one that is putting someone elses coach accreditation number on the team sheets every week.
the level 1 is not hard.

But a lot of clubs will take someone on without having their accreditation (particularly at junior or reserves level) and arrange for you to do the course after you've started.

I coach outside Australia, and as far as I'm aware, none of the footy coaches over here have accreditation. It'd be awesome to have the course provided, but it's very difficult to arrange considering the distances and costs involved. Hasn't stopped a lot of clubs from developing our players well - mine hasn't lost a game in two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Footy Thinking of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back