Thomas Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

That's cool. I just find it frustrating to see someone who has the opportunity to go out and at least give achieving something his best shot, and just sits back and ums and ahs and sits on his hands (with no thanks to his advisor). Maybe Port should be telling him about guys like Rodan, Davenport, Thomas, Lee, Cockshell, Grose etc who came out and trained and won a spot on a senior or rookie list. Or Jason Roe who trained with Port and was drafted by Brisbane.

He either doesnt really want it badly enough, doesnt want to move outside Victoria or hes getting terrible advice from somewhere. As Ford said, hes been overlooked in two drafts now, hes had an offer from a club to go and train but he doesnt want to go, for a pisspoor reason that Port already know enough about him? Surely if you want it, and Port is the only club to put out the offer, then you'd be stupid not to jump at it.

If thats the attitude, enjoy being a VAFA nobody Tom.

That's cool. I just find it frustrating to see someone who has the opportunity to go out and at least give achieving something his best shot, and just sits back and ums and ahs and sits on his hands (with no thanks to his advisor). Maybe Port should be telling him about guys like Rodan, Davenport, Thomas, Lee, Cockshell, Grose etc who came out and trained and won a spot on a senior or rookie list. Or Jason Roe who trained with Port and was drafted by Brisbane.
Agreed.
He's either stuck up and knows he's going to get picked up and can't be stuffed going to train with Port, He hates Port/SA and doesnt want to go to Port/SA, which is stupid or is too lazy.

There might be another reason :p but I totally agree that its pretty fustrating to see in an interview he really wants to get picked up but cant be stuffed to go train.

Uh huh. So he's been overlooked in two drafts, had an invitation to train with an AFL club, but thinks that following his dream is best achieved by sitting at home waiting for it to just magically happen.

To paraphrase Porthos, that's a bit like doing your bit to pick up a supermodel by spraying yourself with Lynx.

Potentially dangerous thing to do;
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/DEODORANT-KILLS-BOY-12/article-487911-detail/article.html

I can understand Rockcliff knocking Port back say last Sunday, because he wanted to see if there were 'better' offers, but to continue to do so and training instead with Benalla is just bizarre, unless another club has committed to him. And that doesn't appear to be the case.

choco put him in tears after his 3km time trial at draft camp, wouldn't be impressed if he has declined the training invitation.

wouldnt be impressed or wouldnt be surprised?

So choco said something to him that had him in tears and now Tom doesnt want to take up the invitation? Sounds a bit precious to me, especially if we are the only one offering a spot.

choco put him in tears after his 3km time trial at draft camp, wouldn't be impressed if he has declined the training invitation.
You mean wouldn't be suprised?
Seems harsh for me if he blames the Power for crying after the run; obviously this means he isnt fit enough, not that Port are forcefull.

maybe from his brief time with the port coach he really disliked him and does not want to go to that club.hard to believe that he made him cry though. from what i heard williams is a nice guy

maybe from his brief time with the port coach he really disliked him and does not want to go to that club.hard to believe that he made him cry though. from what i heard williams is a nice guy
From what I hear at Draft Camp he will actually eat babies, just to intimidate the young players.

From what I hear at Draft Camp he will actually eat babies, just to intimidate the young players.
well if he was been a tighta** i dont blame rockliff for not wanting to train with them. if it was me i would say no thanks. because im sure he knows that many clubs want him and port is not the only 1

Yup...sure sounds like lots of clubs want him, overlooked for two years and all.

I too struggle to believe that he would have been in tears. If so, its one of the funniest things ive heard in a long time. To me it sounds like Choco rates him but wants him to push further. He wouldnt have offered him a training spot if he didnt think highly of him. If he doesnt want to and ends up crying about it, hes gonna have a hard time making it onto an AFL list and making a name for himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently nothing. He just made him do a 3km run. I think he must of said something because obviously you arn't fit enough if you cant do 3kms of running.
No Loz, you missed the point. Everyone does a 3km time trial at Draft Camp. Rockliff's time would've been shitty, so the rumour going around is that Choco must've had a go at him about it. Obviously it's all unfounded, but it wouldn't surprise me that Rocky would run a bad time and that Choco would get stuck into a kid for running a bad time.

hope the kids gets picked up. a lot of question marks over his flexibility to anywhere but forward and height to be a permanent forward, also endurance a bit of an issue. but surely he has done everything he could have done. i hate it when someone who isnt a superb athlete or is lacking in height, but is a good honest footballer is overlooked for someone who is an athlete or somone who hasnt really shown that he can play consistent football.

rockliff is someone that hasnt been a star but has done everything asked of him imo. deserves a chance to at least show that he can translate this form to senior level.

rockliff is someone that hasnt been a star but has done everything asked of him imo. deserves a chance to at least show that he can translate this form to senior level.

I'm sick of hearing this term, he has done everything asked of him.

Maybe they wanted him to increase his fitness?

He does not currently have AFL levels of fitness, hence he might not have done everything asked of him.

I'm sick of hearing this term, he has done everything asked of him.

Maybe they wanted him to increase his fitness?

He does not currently have AFL levels of fitness, hence he might not have done everything asked of him.

okay he might not be perfect, but none of the draftees are, all will have some areas to improve one. god even rich has fitness concerns according to people on here, yet he went top 10.

all i'm saying is that you look at what he achieved over the year compared to some other players that got drafted, he trumps them. i can understand why he would feel a bit dissapointed when he's seemingly had a great year and didnt get drafted yet some people have been okay but are taken as "project" players

Going back over a lot of the pre-draft comments which indicated a shift back to drafting the natural footballers- yet Tom doesn't get drafted?

I think Murray did the right thing too by giving him more midfield time as the year went on as we all knew he was a very good one on one forward. Might not be fit but had some double figure posession quarters while playing on the ball - and they weren;' Bowden possessions- there was plenty of contested footy.

I look forward to seeing him Rookied and show what he can do.

I suspect that the change in rookie rules have had a slight effect in most clubs drafting thoughts. With the question marks on Toms ability to be a genuine midfielder and his agility he becomes an ideal candidate for the rookie draft. Now that you dont have to have a player on the LTI list to promote a rookie to the senior list you can pencil in guys like Rockliff to rookie spots.
Get him onto the rookie list and if he goes ok then he gets a chance to play a few senior games (becasue every club will have players on their main list who get 2 to 4 week injuries). If he struggles in the VFL then he is gone after one year and no contracts to pay out.
IMO i belive he will make a rookie list somewhere for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back