Expansion Thurston to the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
NYJets, Australia
Jonathan Thurston is a very well known and highly skilled rugby league player.
He recently came out and stated that he is now going to start playing for whatever club pays him more, and that includes rugby union.
His reasoning is setting himself up for life after rugby/league.

Can anyone see him being offered any money to play for the GC or Western Sydney?
Would either team want him?
Would his skills be up to scratch?

He recently came out and stated that he is now going to start playing for whatever club pays him more, and that includes rugby union.

Can anyone see him being offered any money to play for the GC or Western Sydney?

Probably too old to make the transition. He will be 27 next year, and has nearly 4 years on Karmichael Hunt.

He's 26 and not overly tall (under 180cms i think) so i would be suprised if he was offered a contract by either GC or GWS. If he does it think it would be purely a publicity stunt, more so than with Hunt.

As far as I am aware JT has NOT mentioned AFL AT ALL and it would be such as shame if he left rugby league, even to go to Union. Is a VERY smart 'league' player, in afl terms you would say a footballers footballer.

In all the articles I have read, HE has not mention anything about AFL, only that he is considering all options in NRL and Rugby (including overseas)

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/12/15/100865_sport.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26485818-5003409,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26486808-5003409,00.html

I will be very dissapointed if he leaves the cowboys, however i would be even MORE so if he left NRL for either rugby or AFL. Would clearly be a waste of talent.

I will be very dissapointed if he leaves the cowboys, however i would be even MORE so if he left NRL for either rugby or AFL. Would clearly be a waste of talent.

Looks like he'll be leaving the Cowboys unless he gets a better contract, though I will be dissapointed too if he leaves the NRL. Great player, great to watch.

Greetings Viewers

A snow flake's chance ....... His game is far better suited to Union. H e or his manager may well be on a fishing expedition to jack up his price (next contract offer).

Regards

Dicko

Excuse me, but i don't get your meaning " highly skilled rugby league player".:confused:

There's no such thing as a " highly skilled rugby league player" since they're all fat and overweight slobs!

No idea

Massively overweight.

To play AFL he probably is overweight, to be rookie listed don't you need to weight about 60kgs dripping wet?

115491.jpg

Take it as gospel that Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Michael Jennings, a guy called Brant Crisps and about five under 20 players will be in the AFL by 2013.

Rugby league will be nothing more than a bottom feeder comp.

It's been said that there will only be two codes in Australia by 2025 and I'm certain league will not be one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it as gospel that Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Michael Jennings, a guy called Brant Crisps and about five under 20 players will be in the AFL by 2013.

It's been said that there will only be two codes in Australia by 2025 and I'm certain league will not be one of them.

This post possibly has the three most insane claims I have ever seen on Big Footy. And what a joy that they are all in the one post.

Back to the topic at hand, Thurston won't ever play AFL, but I would be very surprised if he signs another contract with a rugby league club.

Oh Jesus.... & you wonder why some AFL fans are called insular,deluded,& outright stupid....

I take it as gospel that you need help,serious help.

Seriously,RL will be in a better position to pay players more after the next tv rights.
But as it has been shown time & time again after "stars" leave,there is always someone to step up & RL continues on ....

But you keep living in your deluded world...im sure one day the voices in your head will cease & you can rest .

Well I guess if a Canadian Rugby Player can master the sport in a year, Thurston could probably be playing by next week.

If your referring to Mike Pyke he certainently has NOT mastered AFL.

Brent Crisp is a reserve grader at the Bulldogs... He played AFL as well as League as a junior, no big loss if he goes.

Jarryd, Greg And Michael are no chance of going to AFL...

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Thurston to the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back