Nov 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tiger trio delisted
12:25:38 PM Wed 19 October, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au
Richmond has delisted three players - Rory Hilton, Shane Morrison and Kyle Archibald.

The Tigers have now made five list changes with former skipper Wayne Campbell and defender Mark Graham both retiring.

Hilton played 91 AFL matches - including 82 with Richmond - from 1998-05. He played nine matches for the Brisbane Lions in 1998 before shifting to Punt Rd.

The third player selected in the 1996 AFL Draft by the Brisbane Lions, Hilton battled knee and hamstring injuries, particularly in the early and latter part of his career.

Morrison, also a former Lion, played five matches for the Lions from 2002-03 before he was claimed by Richmond in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft at No.64.

Archibald spent two seasons on Richmond's list, but played just four for the Coburg Tigers in 2004, his year ruined by osteitis pubis.

He managed to play a full season in the VFL in 2005 but was unable to play a senior AFL match. He was the final player selected in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft.

Clearly Arch was a speculative pick at 81 or whatever it was. Good to see that we don't hang onto someone who we now know is not good enough.

Gotta laugh at people who were putting him in our best team for next year - talk about the cart before the horse.

peejay said:
Clearly Arch was a speculative pick at 81 or whatever it was. Good to see that we don't hang onto someone who we now know is not good enough.

Gotta laugh at people who were putting him in our best team for next year - talk about the cart before the horse.

shows the brainstrust is generally on another wavelength to most of us...I recall he actually featured in best players on a couple of occasions probably sent a few into a tailspin re his prospects....facts are not all of them make it , just need to keep turning them over to find the right mix therein my preference that we add at least 5 to the list for 2006 :thumbsu:

Problem with Archibald was that his best games at Coburg were on the ball. We need players that are 190cm to be holding down key positions, not playing as vfl ruck rovers, he's not going to make it on the ball in the afl so he's not that much use to us. Better to move him on and look for another young KPP prospect.

Still only three delistings. Miller had mentioned a week or two back there would be four. Maybe they are waiting to see who they can get in the PSD before axing a fourth.

Crumden said:
Still only three delistings. Miller had mentioned a week or two back there would be four. Maybe they are waiting to see who they can get in the PSD before axing a fourth.

We have until October 31st to make the delistings, so its not the end yet and I doubt it will be.

CharlieG said:
The Swans will look at Archibald for the rookie list as a matter of course - as a NSW player, he's interesting.

Can someone who saw him play a few games at Coburg give me a bit more of an idea of what he's like? Cheers jezza for what you've already posted, too. :)

At Pick #81 or something around that mark I can't see any team drafting him, even on the Rookie list.

I don't understand why everyone is upset over three wannabees that were not up to the task. If you really want that cup then these types of changes are necesary. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its sad to see Hilton go, as he has been a loyal servant and been a key player in a lot of wins (mainly a few years back.) I remember first seeing him in a game for the Tigers against the Kangas in '99 and he fired! As I said, it is sad to see him go, but I suppose it had to happen :(

Will anyone pick him up???

As for Morrison, was never good enough for AFL level. Hope he stays at Coburg though because he works well with the side.

sante said:
No one has even disagreed with the decision :confused:

I failed to explain myself properlyand am to blame for that. What I meant was why are we discussing these three when we should really be talking about what Tambling, Foley, Thursfield, Polo, Meyer and P. Bowden can contribute in the following years. They are at Richmond and obviously the future. ( I ommitted Delidio for the fact that I just wonder how far he can go given his excellent first year.)

strav said:
I failed to explain myself properlyand am to blame for that. What I meant was why are we discussing these three when we should really be talking about what Tambling, Foley, Thursfield, Polo, Meyer and P. Bowden can contribute in the following years. They are at Richmond and obviously the future. ( I ommitted Delidio for the fact that I just wonder how far he can go given his excellent first year.)

I understand. Well, peejay is right...its the OFF SEASON and these things happen so we post about them :)

Kurtis G said:
What did Shane say?

Can't remember word for word :D

But basically ...

He thanked the Coburg Footy Club, said he'd enjoyed playing there over the last 2 years, thanked David Flood for giving him a strong leadership role with the young blokes in 2005 and finished by wishing everyone at the Club all the best for the future and the Club itself success in the future

WilliamPowell said:
Can't remember word for word :D

But basically ...

He thanked the Coburg Footy Club, said he'd enjoyed playing there over the last 2 years, thanked David Flood for giving him a strong leadership role with the young blokes in 2005 and finished by wishing everyone at the Club all the best for the future and the Club itself success in the future

Where would he be going?

sante said:
Where would he be going?

Who knows - I suppose he'll nominate for the draft even though he wouldn't get selected. Then I suppose he'll get offers from the other various comps around the country - VFL, WAFL, SANFL or he might just go home to Brissy and play in the QAFL

metallichris said:
I think he means there is nothing else to talk about or do on BigFooty during the off-season. What else do you expect them to talk about on a Richmond Board?

LOL . Yes I can see that so I won't be like a dog at a bone and say everyone is wasting their time on players that are no longer on the list. Peace be with you :D

Remove this Banner Ad

tiger trio delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back