Rumour Busted Tim Kelly will be an Eagle next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest, this "i have an autistic kid" thing is just absolute bullshit.

If you live between Fremantle and West Coast it's a 15 minute drive either way.

Kelly is a flog of a bloke.
Has he come out and said your quoted remark?

All i have read is he understands he is under contract and wants to go to eagles but if no trade can be done, that is it. It has now come out that he would prefer to stay at geelong than go to freo. And request a similar trade next year.

His mind is made up. There is something he doesnt like about freo, he can do that. Is he a flog to have a preference.

What about rory knob wanting to go to freo and not eagles? Knob would fill needs for both freo and wc but he wants freo cause they can pay more $$$. What a flog.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Danger was worth 2 first picks at the very least, including in that pick 1 . Geelong didnt do the right thing, they did what they had to because they had no choice. Adelaide did the best they could and still got way unders.
To say Geelong went out of their way to appease the crows is laughable
You really have no idea! The Cats were in the box seat coz Dangerfield asked to be traded to Geelong as a FREE AGENT! Now you see, this is where the bargaining comes into play and the Crows had very little bargaining power as their player had just given them 8years of service and they had to weigh up how much resistance they gave to the deal before pissing off one of their star players and having him walk out on the club. Now imagine how bad that would look for a club trying to recruit good players to compensate for that loss ...understand?

Last edited:
You really have no idea! The Cats were in the box seat coz Dangerfield asked to be traded to Geelong as a FREE AGENT! Now you see, this is where the bargaining comes into play and the Crows had very little bargaining power as their player had just given them 8years of service and they had to weigh up how much resistance they gave to the deal before pissing off one of their star players and having him walk out on the club. Now imagine how bad that would look for a club trying to recruit good players to compensate for that loss ...understand?
Dangerfield was a restricted free agent so Adelaide could have matched the contract (they could have afforded to easily) and forced a trade. Geelong knew this so they made the trade before it got to that stage.
Dangerfield could have walked, into the draft where it would be pretty unlikely he'd last until Geelong's pick.

Dangerfield was a restricted free agent so Adelaide could have matched the contract (and they could have afforded to easily) and forced a trade. Geelong knew this so they made the trade before it got to that stage.
Dangerfield could have walked, into the draft where it would be pretty unlikely he'd last until Geelong's pick.
Exactly.

You know the difference between a FREE AGENT and a restricted free agent?

No, but plenty of others are using the autism excuse and it doesn't hold up for me.

Don't recall Lobb refusing to go to the Eagles, but you do make a fair point re: Kelly. Honestly I wouldn't want to go to Freo either.

I retract my comment regarding him being a flog.

Get stuffed Freo.

I agree. The one thing that annoys however is that they were smug about signing him up when they knew the Eagles wanted him with their next pick. That's their right of course but it was always going to be a bit of a gamble given his circumstances. It's hard to now start bleating about time spent on him, giving him his chnce etc. It's also true that the Eagles picked two talls before Geelong took him and I am happy with that decision.

Personally, apart from wanting to help him with his family situation, I don't care much whether he goes to the Eagles or not and would rather have picks 20 and 22 or whatever they are now so that we can add some more class and kids to the team for the future
One thing for sure is after 2019 he will leave Geelong. Its whether they want him in there next year given they are a club trying to build a side for a flag in the next few years.
Cats can have pick 11 from Fremantle, but apparently Fremantle is no longer in Western Australia? All the Eagles have to do is come up with something as good as that and he's back "home", wherever that might be?
Not an option apparently. I think he will do one more year at Geelong rather than go to Freo. At least that is what his manager has stated.

One thing for sure is after 2019 he will leave Geelong. Its whether they want him in there next year given they are a club trying to build a side for a flag in the next few years.

Not an option apparently. I think he will do one more year at Geelong rather than go to Freo. At least that is what his manager has stated.
After the Hogan fiasco i'm beginning to understnad more fully Kelly's reticence in going to Fremantle. Why did they let pick 6 go?

I think it was clear danger was going and that was why tex was appointed captain over him.

So why would Adelaide have matched the offer?

I agree. The one thing that annoys however is that they were smug about signing him up when they knew the Eagles wanted him with their next pick. That's their right of course but it was always going to be a bit of a gamble given his circumstances. It's hard to now start bleating about time spent on him, giving him his chnce etc. It's also true that the Eagles picked two talls before Geelong took him and I am happy with that decision.

Personally, apart from wanting to help him with his family situation, I don't care much whether he goes to the Eagles or not and would rather have picks 20 and 22 or whatever they are now so that we can add some more class and kids to the team for the future
How was Geelong “smug”? In selecting Kelly, Geelong missed out on others who would probably have committed long term. It was a risky selection that paid dividends in 2018.

Is it actually fact that WCE was going to select Kelly at 26, or is that just a convenient argument? If WCE thought Kelly was that good why didn’t they use an earlier pick?

Dangerfield was a restricted free agent so Adelaide could have matched the contract (they could have afforded to easily) and forced a trade. Geelong knew this so they made the trade before it got to that stage.
You know the difference between a FREE AGENT and a restricted free agent?
OK so you don't understand. ^I refer you both back to my previous response.^ Restricted Free Agent is still Free Agent. If the Crows had of resisted this trade any more than they did, it would have further hurt their reputation with players within their club and also with players on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
hey so how are Dangerfield and Rohan? Good players yeah? How about Scotty Selwood is he still playing well? He won a B&F with us.

Just checking in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it actually fact that WCE was going to select Kelly at 26, or is that just a convenient argument? If WCE thought Kelly was that good why didn’t they use an earlier pick?

Kelly was widely discussed by our selectors, Brander was an opportunity that the club couldn't pass up on, Allen our scouts had been wanting for years.

Geelong pick Kelly with 24 and then the club requires additional time to make its pick 26 selection.

Smug? Eagles next pick at 26 was Liam Ryan, they had five years and two picks before Geelong "smugly" picked up Kelly. Would the Eagles have even selected Kelly ahead of Ryan? There is no guarantee that would've happened? This is a simple argument, don't nominate for the draft unless you are prepared to travel interstate, do not bet on assurances from your manager or club recruiting officers who verbally agree to pick you.
You never know when that pick will be? The Eagles hesitated and he who hesitates...rusts!
Geelong had every right to select Kelly as they have every right to demand a top 10 pick for a ready made AFL player who will walk into the Eagles team a star! Something they didn't believe was the case a year ago! Nothing smug here except Kelly's manager who appears to have fed his client a fair amount of BS since draft day!

Smug? Eagles next pick at 26 was Liam Ryan, they had five years and two picks before Geelong "smugly" picked up Kelly. Would the Eagles have even selected Kelly ahead of Ryan? There is no guarantee that would've happened? This is a simple argument, don't nominate for the draft unless you are prepared to travel interstate, do not bet on assurances from your manager or club recruiting officers who verbally agree to pick you.The Eagles hesitated and he who hesitates...rusts!
You never know when that pick will be? Geelong had every right to select Kelly as they have every right top demand a top 10 pick for a ready made AFL player who will walk into the Eagles team a star! Something they didn't believe was the case a year ago! Nothing smug here except Kelly's manager who appears to have fed his client a fair amount of BS since draft day!

You had 5 years to get him too....

He did travel interstate, i'm not sure if you're aware but he's actually been playing for Geelong for the past few months.. And now he's requesting a trade. It's not the first time it's happened mate.

You had 5 years to get him too....

He did travel interstate, i'm not sure if you're aware but he's actually been playing for Geelong for the past few months.. And now he's requesting a trade. It's not the first time it's happened mate.
Oh please, now you're all clutching at straws....absolute nonsense. The rules are very clear. He was selected by Geelong because the West Coast Eagles in their wisdom didn't want him. They had no interest. He didn't exist in their eyes. He was nothing to them. It's only now since he's proven himself at the top level due to an opportunity afforded to him by Geelong, and believing Gaff was leaving they've put down the jungle juice for a second and woke up? Well, he can go back to WA, but you just can't pick and choose like that when you have a contract. Fremantle is still in WA and they have made a better offer. Screw the Eagles, cough up a top 10 pick or both 20 & 22, otherwise he will be at pre season training in Geelong! Obviously Kelly and his manager were told one thing last year by the Eagles and it didn't eventuate, his manager has been working on this ever since. Now Gaff is staying. Wells and Cook were not born yesterday!

Danger was worth 2 first picks at the very least, including in that pick 1 . Geelong didnt do the right thing, they did what they had to because they had no choice. Adelaide did the best they could and still got way unders.

To say Geelong went out of their way to appease the crows is laughable
You don’t understand free agency?

Oh please, now you're all clutching at straws....absolute nonsense. The rules are very clear. He was selected by Geelong because the West Coast Eagles in their wisdom didn't want him. They had no interest. He didn't exist in their eyes. He was nothing to them. It's only now since he's proven himself at the top level due to an opportunity afforded to him by Geelong, and believing Gaff was leaving they've put down the jungle juice for a second and woke up? Well, he can go back to WA, but you just can't pick and choose like that when you have a contract. Fremantle is still in WA and they have made a better offer. Screw the Eagles, cough up a top 10 pick or both 20 & 22, otherwise he will be at pre season training in Geelong! Obviously Kelly and his manager were told one thing last year by the Eagles and it didn't eventuate, his manager has been working on this ever since. Now Gaff is staying. Wells and Cook were not born yesterday!

How am I clutching at straws? Apparently the Eagles did want to select him in the 2017 draft, but they weren't going to use their top 2 picks to get him. He's only been a topic of conversation in the lead up to the 2017 draft due to his strong WAFL form. I don't know where you get the idea that "He didn't exist in their eyes. He was nothing to them", or why you think that you pulled a man who won a sand over medal out of thin air. Everyone in WA footy knew who he was and knew he was a shot to get drafted.

He has now requested a trade to west coast. This isn't the first time someone has requested a trade in the AFL to a specific club.

I don't know why you're so angry? Calm the **** down mate....

All i have read is he understands he is under contract and wants to go to eagles but if no trade can be done, that is it. It has now come out that he would prefer to stay at geelong than go to freo. And request a similar trade next year.

His mind is made up. There is something he doesnt like about freo, he can do that. Is he a flog to have a preference.

What about rory knob wanting to go to freo and not eagles? Knob would fill needs for both freo and wc but he wants freo cause they can pay more $$$. What a flog.

Nathan Wilson went to freo from GWS didn't want to go to west coast. Just deal with it

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Busted Tim Kelly will be an Eagle next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back