Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

No longer almost?

I feel like Timmy took his time but maybe this version of the Hawks is the best for him to shine too. We are in a redesign mode and this allows him to be part of that redesign rather than an add on to an old one that may not have suited him. I love seeing him work together with ML. They’re playing the complimentary clever decoy leading roles well. That said, it’s a lot easier to do this when you have a clunk machine in ML that makes defenders shit themselves

Having rewatched last weekends game...the one thing I noticed about Timmy was the one per centers and repeat efforts. Bringing the ball to ground...the tap ons. If he can continue with this level of output / confidence levels then I can see him being in our next premiership side!

I would be interested to hear from Luke Boyd to see if he just totally changed Tim's strength and conditioning plan from what JR had him on. He's visably much bigger in the shoulders and chest this year and although not visually evident, his core seems stronger too as he's not getting ragdolled like in the past.

If it is all in his head then get that 'psych' on to the goal kickers too

Having rewatched last weekends game...the one thing I noticed about Timmy was the one per centers and repeat efforts. Bringing the ball to ground...the tap ons. If he can continue with this level of output / confidence levels then I can see him being in our next premiership side!
This is something I have noticed about him since day one. He was getting kicked by the supporters from pillar to post, but every time he played, there would be a little block, or tap-on as you say. Seems like a really team-orientated player, and perhaps that was why he never really shone. He was so concerned with the team things, that he didn't back himself to do the Tim O'Brien things. I'm rapt he's re-signed.

Geez people have short memories - was in a pretty similar position in 2017 after a good season as a 2nd ruck/forward, then stagnated. Has looked good as a forward last few weeks but before that was nothing special as a defender (which was why was moved forward). Given the absolute dire state of our tall stocks the extension was a no-brainer.

I’m hoping he has a great 2020 but needs to have a consistent season in one spot to repay the 7 years of investment.

I would be interested to hear from Luke Boyd to see if he just totally changed Tim's strength and conditioning plan from what JR had him on. He's visably much bigger in the shoulders and chest this year and although not visually evident, his core seems stronger too as he's not getting ragdolled like in the past.

If it is all in his head then get that 'psych' on to the goal kickers too

I've felt this since Jack left. Seems we've got at least a smidge more of a focus on physical development now.

Interesting to note that Boyd is actually a more qualified and educated individual than Jack. Pretty formidable history of study.
  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Exercise Physiology – Victoria University (Melbourne) + Western Bulldogs
    Topic: Monitoring the physical demands of Australian football using accelerometers.
  • Masters in Exercise Science (Strength & Conditioning) – Edith Cowan University (Perth)
  • Honours: Bachelor of Applied science (Sports Coaching & Administration) – Deakin University (Melbourne) Topic: Movement analysis / Observational expertise
  • Undergraduate: Bachelor of Applied science (Sports Coaching & Administration) – Deakin University (Melbourne)

May have already been mentioned, but his pinch-hitting in the ruck is pretty solid. Allows him to get involved in the game more too

Good reward for some very good form

Geez people have short memories - was in a pretty similar position in 2017 after a good season as a 2nd ruck/forward, then stagnated. Has looked good as a forward last few weeks but before that was nothing special as a defender (which was why was moved forward). Given the absolute dire state of our tall stocks the extension was a no-brainer.

I’m hoping he has a great 2020 but needs to have a consistent season in one spot to repay the 7 years of investment.

The whole team was nothing special

Tim found the right place to be multiple times and those leaps .....geez I wanted him to clunk them. Got me thinking if he had Sicilys attitude then he would be a very scary weapon for us.
He is still doing enough but need more next year and with decent supply might just happen 🤞

Has a great leap and gets his hands to the ball ALL the time, but its a mystery as to why he doesn't clunck more of them. Drops a lot of marks. Imagine how good he'd be if he stuck 20% more of them. At least he's bringing it to ground for the little fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim's List of Vanquished Opponents:

Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
Geelong

Gold Coast
Greater Western Sydney
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Richmond
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Massive 2020 ahead!

I still think O'Brien will be used as the centre half back next year with the ability to pinch hit up forward when needed. Patton, Lewis, Gunston and O'Brien is way too top heavy. You've also got Nash down there plus the 2 rucks.

I still think O'Brien will be used as the centre half back next year with the ability to pinch hit up forward when needed. Patton, Lewis, Gunston and O'Brien is way too top heavy. You've also got Nash down there plus the 2 rucks.
I don't think we'll be playing 2x rucks next year.

You're right though, we're gonna have good competition for spots. And I agree re: CHB.

Pretty sure Clarko will swing them back and forth to mess with opposition systems.

How Marvellous was Tim tonight!!!

When he put his body on the line which led to the Gunston goal, that was pure magic.

Has laid the foundation for a huge season next year.
Yep I mentioned it in the game day thread but worth reiterating. Transformation complete - he's in a space where he's obviously not worrying about his own game. It's great for the team and great to watch.

For me it'll come down to next season, will he kick on ? Or will he regress and get comfortable ?

He’s done enough to allay those fears. TOB always had the tools but lacked the belief. It’s been well reported that this year he’s overcome the self belief issue - and that is showing on the park. I don’t think he’ll get comfortable - he’s looked hungrier each game this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back