Time to bounce the bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

That "unpredictability" will go down a treat when a dodgy bounce costs a team a flag.

Its Fact that the first bounce in the AFL grandfinal goes up straight.

Bouncing at a top level is all due to concerntration and having the grip right (Similar to cricket). Lapse for one second and bounce could go haywire.

I wouldnt the callback rule to be tossed, And umpires just resort bouncing at every ball up provided the ground is firm.

Have to at least keep it at the centre square.

Bouncing on the wing/forward 50 and goal square seem to go up alot easier. Because A-> The ruckman could be standing anywhere B-> The Ground seems to be relatively softer so reduces the height factor of the bounce.

Its just that bounce on the circle where its easy to judge (If the ball goes up too the left or too the right, in which ruckman have to cover ground.

Why don't we replace the ball with one that is easier to bounce, like say a round ball.

Tradition? Bah, everyone will get used to it.

I reckon the bounce places an un-natural filter between some of the best potential umpires and the game.

Think of all the blokes who might make great umps but for their inability to master an obscure skill.

Also think of how much umpires would improve if they spent the 1-2 hours per week they spend practising bouncing on their decision making skills.

And while we are at it - add a couple more umps to the game - so we have a coupole of inside 50 umps and 2 mid-field umps. This way you wouldn't need to be a borderline elite level distance runner to be an umpire either.

The AFL should be doing whatever it can to bring the best decision makers with the best understanding of the game into umpiring -not filtering them out with irrelevant skills.

I reckon the bounce places an un-natural filter between some of the best potential umpires and the game.

Think of all the blokes who might make great umps but for their inability to master an obscure skill.

Also think of how much umpires would improve if they spent the 1-2 hours per week they spend practising bouncing on their decision making skills.

And while we are at it - add a couple more umps to the game - so we have a coupole of inside 50 umps and 2 mid-field umps. This way you wouldn't need to be a borderline elite level distance runner to be an umpire either.

The AFL should be doing whatever it can to bring the best decision makers with the best understanding of the game into umpiring -not filtering them out with irrelevant skills.

You're onto such a relevant point by suggesting the decision-making prowess of umpires is what we should be concentrating on the most. So I'm with you to an extent, Ming.

I stop short at agreeing with more ump's though. There are so many "extra personnel" on the field these days, we can hardly fit any more. Collisions with umpires, trainers & waterboys are becoming increasingly common, and if you go to a game it is truly staggering to see how many people get on the ground when a goal is scored. Besides, with more officials (emergency/advisors/masseurs/etc.) comes more expense, and who pays for it all? The supporter of course.

I stop short at agreeing with more ump's though. There are so many "extra personnel" on the field these days, we can hardly fit any more. Collisions with umpires, trainers & waterboys are becoming increasingly common, and if you go to a game it is truly staggering to see how many people get on the ground when a goal is scored. Besides, with more officials (emergency/advisors/masseurs/etc.) comes more expense, and who pays for it all? The supporter of course.

It's intresting Cuz, that whenever I take a foreigner to a footy game - the extra personell clogging the oval is the first thing that they comment on.

My solution? get rid of waterboys. The players are rotating so frequently now anyway that the ones in most need of hydration (the running mid-fielders) are getting it on the sidelines. Maybe put a drinks station near the goals for the players who stay deep if they need a drink.

While I'm at it - get rid of runners. The game is over-coached anyway and this would place more of a premium on smart footballers. Remember that the most telling move of last years GF (Dew to the forward line) was made by the player himself. Runners are often used as a tactical ploy to block up space so the kicing player sees a more crowded field when he looks up.

Remember we already have 5 (or is it 7? I can't recall if we have 4 or 2 boundary umps any more) umps already. Maybe we just have 6 umpires - 2 midfield, and 2 in either 50. One of each pair always stays boundary side of the contest and acts as the boundary ump - a bit like soccer now has assistant refs instead of linesmen.

Given that the most crucial frees are given inside the 50 arc I'd like to see a stationary ump in there looking for infringements - similair to how to have the tw refs looking at the same contest from reverse angles in basketball.

I can't believe that we are even entertaining this thread :eek:

It's not that hard a skill to bounce a footy. Grab ball in hands and throw it hard into the ground/mud. It's always worked for me :D

Seriously if we want to improve ruck contests, how about only one ruckman at around the ground contests (eliminate the 3rd man up).

Also how about instead of when the ball is bounced/released for a throw up at a centre bounce. The outside players can't enter the square until the ball is touched by a ruckman.

Both of those changes would make ruck contests easier to manage and it would also elevate the art of ruck work and the importance of the centre square 4. :) :) :)

Simple. Bounce goes out of cirle - recall.

Bounce goes inside circle, or looks like landing inside the circle - all good.

Ruckmen compete for Bounce but it looks on the line of the circle - all good.

Otherwiswe, Sandilands will be contending with 3rd men up at every ball up, and also, they should think about allowing ruckmen to start their run up outside the circle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My old man is over 50, hasn't umpired full time for about 8 years, then today when he took me to training, bounced it about 20 times in a row, and didn't have to move to catch them again. Bouncing has went out of practice for local umpires now, don't know how many other leagues do this, but it might be the problem.

I can't say I've ever tried to bounce seriously, only done it for a bit of fun, like banana kicks and torpedo punts, but surely if a practically retired small town local umpire can still do that it can't be that hard for these professionals.

I do believe they introduced the circle due to ruckmen doing long run ups and damaging each other's knees when they clashed at the jump.

I remember that, with Adam Goodes, but didn't it also have something to do with the midfielders, which is why they aren't allowed in?

We ask three skills of our umps:
a) run 15-20kms in 2.5 hours
b) have quality decision making based on full knowledge and interpretation of a game that a large proportion of us are all passionate about
c) bounce an oval shaped ball 7-8 metres in the air straight up

Can do a) and b) but can't do c)? Sorry mate, you can't do the job...

Its crazy.

We miss out on many ex-footballers (eg. Mark Fraser) or footballers who didn't quite make the grade making the transition to umpiring, because of this very strange and unique skill that we require of them.

The game would be vastly better if the decision making skills were the supreme objective of umpire training.

Why not only bounce it after goals, and allocate 1 umpire (if they have mastered the skill) to make those bounces, with the rest of the ball ups around the ground thrown up?

Try this as a question for yourself. What would you prefer - more continued poor decision making from the umpiring fraternity, or improved decision making from those who have played the game at a high level, and less bouncing?

Cricket is virtually all about quality decision making, and players have made the transition to umpiring after finishing their playing careers. It would make perfect sense to me to see this brought into footy - and if it means the bounce goes, then so be it. I firmly believe the quality of umpiring qould be improved because of it.

Its crazy.

We miss out on many ex-footballers (eg. Mark Fraser) or footballers who didn't quite make the grade making the transition to umpiring, because of this very strange and unique skill that we require of them.

If these blokes had the ability to play the game at a high level and and don't posses the co-ordination to learn the fairly basic skill of bouncing the ball then that is crazy IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to bounce the bounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back