Time to Refresh

Remove this Banner Ad

Amokura

Debutant
Apr 13, 2011
Wellington
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"Time to Refresh". These 3 words said everything about the decision to not reappoint Eade. They came from the President and attributed to advice from the CEO and Football Manager.

Perhaps the board need to look a little deeper at themselves and their recent appointments along with the lack of financial support for Eade to actually coach a team to the level required to win a premiership.

All this money talk is rubbish. The fact is he didn't have the tactics to overcome the press this year.

So he got us to 3 PF's without any tactical nous at all?

Imagine if we had had Collingwoods football dept budget?
We probably would've performed the same.

Money does not equal premierships. This belief is a gross fallacy and a current construct of bored and idiot media. Don't fall into it. Good recruitment equals premierships.

Money does not equal premierships. This belief is a gross fallacy and a current construct of bored and idiot media. Don't fall into it. Good recruitment equals premierships.

OK let's look at the difference money can make:

- we can hasten up our rehab for injured players, not send them out half recovered.
- we can focus on our young players with some one on one coaching development that speeds up their development, which means that if we need to rest a player we can, confident that we have young blokes well developed ie Fasalo (sp) for Collingwood.
- we can buy our own equipment so that players can use it on an ad needs basis, everyday if required, not send them out a couple of times a week to another suburb
- we can buy the best in medical staff, coaching staff, recovery staff, sports medicine etc etc
Still think money means nothing.....:rolleyes:

So what do you propose to use as an inducement to get the best recruiting manager and support staff.......discounted merchandise?

OK let's look at the difference money can make:

- we can hasten up our rehab for injured players, not send them out half recovered.
- we can focus on our young players with some one on one coaching development that speeds up their development, which means that if we need to rest a player we can, confident that we have young blokes well developed ie Fasalo (sp) for Collingwood.
- we can buy our own equipment so that players can use it on an ad needs basis, everyday if required, not send them out a couple of times a week to another suburb
- we can buy the best in medical staff, coaching staff, recovery staff, sports medicine etc etc
Still think money means nothing.....:rolleyes:

1. If we're dumb enough to play injured players that's got nothing to do with money. Cooney and Lake were played injured because we thought we could win a flag. We didn't and now we're left with burnt out players. Nothing to do with money.

2. Extra coaching for players?? come on we already have numerous coaches..,. you can have a hundred coaches but if blokes don't have the desire to chase and work hard then what's it all worth? how many times do we kick the ball into the man on the mark? you could have a thousand coaches but you can't cure stupidity.

3. These guys are professional footballers. They earn huge money. BOO HOO they have to go to richmond once or twice a week for treatment. Give me a break. I go cross town everyday to put food on my table. Seriously are we that fragile? because we'll never win a thing if we're whinging about this crap.

4. We need to find players who will perform and try. Stop making excuses for their failure to work hard. For the coaches failure to adapt to the forward press.

Money is a load of crap. It's becoming the WESTERN BULLDOG EXCUSE for everything. Why did we take one ruckman into round one and get smashed???? why are we unable to kick the ball out from a behind without turning it over or kicking it out of bounds? why can't we handle the forward press??? forget money and get people who will work in.

The problem that "time to refresh" gives is that the club believes it can challenge again quickly.

I dont agree, i think we are now in for some long term pain. I hope im wrong but i see a major bottoming out in the near future. Ie 2002 into 2003.

Group of young in experienced players 20-22 who are not quite ready to take on the load

Smith - Gilbee - Howard
Brown - Murphy - Grant
Johnson -Gia - Ward
West- Cross - Libba
Grant - Lake - Jones
Darcy - Hudson - Roughead

Big gap to a group of older players who are declining 28+

Club who think the cheap option will work ie Rhode- Cameron

I hope im wrong, but this could be 2002 all over again.

1. If we're dumb enough to play injured players that's got nothing to do with money. Cooney and Lake were played injured because we thought we could win a flag. We didn't and now we're left with burnt out players. Nothing to do with money.

Lake had 3 operations that 's the reason he is not playing, he made AA fullback under the much maligned by you Rocket last year.

2. Extra coaching for players?? come on we already have numerous coaches..,. you can have a hundred coaches but if blokes don't have the desire to chase and work hard then what's it all worth? how many times do we kick the ball into the man on the mark? you could have a thousand coaches but you can't cure stupidity.

Right so it is just luck that collingwood have a much more advanced list than us - so sorry bow to your much more knowledgeable understanding

3. These guys are professional footballers. They earn huge money. BOO HOO they have to go to richmond once or twice a week for treatment. Give me a break. I go cross town everyday to put food on my table. Seriously are we that fragile? because we'll never win a thing if we're whinging about this crap.

Yeah, football is a professional cuthroat business, if we lose the advantage not having access to those resources it costs us

4. We need to find players who will perform and try. Stop making excuses for their failure to work hard. For the coaches failure to adapt to the forward press.

Right, so let's get you out there, you obviously have the right attitude go on

Money is a load of crap. It's becoming the WESTERN BULLDOG EXCUSE for everything. Why did we take one ruckman into round one and get smashed???? why are we unable to kick the ball out from a behind without turning it over or kicking it out of bounds? why can't we handle the forward press??? forget money and get people who will work in.

If it is so easy to win a premiership why hasn't Melbourne won one since 1964, or the Swans since 2005, or Essendong since 2000 you are seriously a concern as a human being mate

Agree entirely. While more money for operations is definitely no curse, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for non-performance.

All your responses are exactly what I would've countered with. Also, people are forgetting we have brand new facilities and club rooms.. like, 2 years old. We can't be that far behind - we didn't necessarily spend the money on the football department, but the Federal Government sure bloody did.. but that most likely won't be factored into the Herald Sun's report on how little we spend on the football department.

Anyway, I've flown this flag on my other threads and have only ever been slapped down, which is fine because everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'll repeat the theme, North Melbourne in the late 1990s, Brisbane in the early naughties and Geelong to present have all been the hugely strong teams over the last 15 years. All of which (bar Geelong only in the last 2 or so seasons) have been crippled with financial issues. They did not spend up big in becoming dominant. The players they recruited made them dominant. Not to mention that Sydney and Port have also won flags in this time.

Further, I have heard or seen nothing that convinces me that football has changed so much that football department expenditure now = success. It's just because Collingwood are having their turn of dominance that the press craps on about it.

Rant over.

Agree entirely. While more money for operations is definitely no curse, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for non-performance.

All your responses are exactly what I would've countered with. Also, people are forgetting we have brand new facilities and club rooms.. like, 2 years old. We can't be that far behind - we didn't necessarily spend the money on the football department, but the Federal Government sure bloody did.. but that most likely won't be factored into the Herald Sun's report on how little we spend on the football department.

Anyway, I've flown this flag on my other threads and have only ever been slapped down, which is fine because everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'll repeat the theme, North Melbourne in the late 1990s, Brisbane in the early naughties and Geelong to present have all been the hugely strong teams over the last 15 years. All of which (bar Geelong only in the last 2 or so seasons) have been crippled with financial issues. They did not spend up big in becoming dominant. The players they recruited made them dominant. Not to mention that Sydney and Port have also won flags in this time.

Further, I have heard or seen nothing that convinces me that football has changed so much that football department expenditure now = success. It's just because Collingwood are having their turn of dominance that the press craps on about it.

Rant over.

Couldn't have said it any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Careful, you are making too much sense.

All this money talk is rubbish. The fact is he didn't have the tactics to overcome the press this year.

So the fact that since science and technology was seriously introduced into the AFL over the 1999-2000 pre-season and ALL the clubs who won premierships since then had invested heavily in their football department budgets, has no bearing on performance?

You raise issues that you believe our poor results this year are not linked to our finances. Rubbish. In one way or another they are all linked to a lack of human or material assets.

Rocket has been bashing his head against the wall and the president in his speech yesterday could not pay Eade the courtesy of at least mentioning that he had done a great job under severe financial constraints. It took Eade to point this out.

So he got us to 3 PF's without any tactical nous at all?

Imagine if we had had Collingwoods football dept budget?
I'd like to throw a comment in that you might otherwise miss, being buried at the bottom of a Stephen Milne story:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121231/default.aspx

Speaking just hours after it was announced that Rodney Eade's coaching tenure at the Bulldogs had come to an end, Lyon praised Eade as a challenging opponent.

"He was very difficult (to coach against). We had a couple of great prelim battles against Rodney. There are only 17 (coaching) jobs in the country and really he has done a sterling job at a club that hasn't been fully resourced all the time," he said.

I don't believe Lyon is a glib, "lip service" kind of guy, so it's fair to take this on its merits.

Everyone else is talking about resourcing except the Bulldogs. Their year has been ruined by injury issues and they are at the bottom of the pack in footy department spending. Shouldn't an internal review be conducted at least?

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to Refresh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back