Tobin Brothers make good point

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, hard to fathom. Stevo was probably 1 player on the ground that didn't really float in and out but rather was getting the ball reguarly. Only reason I could see.

Re: Re: Tobin Brothers make good point

Originally posted by StarBoy
I don't get this logic. On one hand, Stev should retire to fast track development of others but on the other, he is still good enough to get a vote. :confused:

Which commentators on ABC came up with that brilliant logic?

And Moti agreed with the ABC commentators:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117145&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Originally posted by Moti
3 - Brown - Tried like Buggery and is easily our best big man

2 - Harding - Week in, week out, all we ask

1 - Stevo - Not really effective, but at least got it our way.

Which of course, leads to the following observation. North lose, Moti logs on and starts saying that we should start looking at retiring the senior players - all of this without having watched the game. He then watches the game (or I assume that he does), and then awards a vote to one of the very senior players that he wants to see retire.

Go figure.

Re: Re: Re: Tobin Brothers make good point

Originally posted by Shinboners
Which of course, leads to the following observation. North lose, Moti logs on and starts saying that we should start looking at retiring the senior players - all of this without having watched the game. He then watches the game (or I assume that he does), and then awards a vote to one of the very senior players that he wants to see retire.

Go figure.

Well c'mon, if Moti stayed consistent, then Moti wouldn't be Moti.

One game doesn't change the fact that we need a change in direction towards youth Shinners.

I gave Stevo a vote, yes, out of Roos players. Was going to give it to Harro but I mark him harder.

Compared to the Cat players, he would be about 10th in the best, if that.

I would have given Carey a vote after the Bombers game but do I think he should not retire, no.

The ABC commentators judged him 3rd best out of the 44 players.

On Sav, I could easily see the likes of Chad Jones and Monster,

Can we please give McIntosh a nickname that isn't Monster?

When people say Monster, I immediately think of Nathan Thompson and David Mensch. One sublime game every four weeks, and after ten years, you wonder why you didn't trade them when you had the chance.

One game doesn't change the fact that we need a change in direction towards youth Shinners.

I agree that we should be playing the youth, but you and I have different approaches on how it should be implemented.

I was just bemused by your comments on Stevo throughout the thread.

I gave Stevo a vote, yes, out of Roos players. Was going to give it to Harro but I mark him harder.

Compared to the Cat players, he would be about 10th in the best, if that.

I would have given Carey a vote after the Bombers game but do I think he should not retire, no.

The ABC commentators judged him 3rd best out of the 44 players.

backflip.jpg

I have nothing against Stevo or any of the guys on the list (well maybe S. Clayton).

I guess I see a gaping hole in the team and would like to see if we can fill it in our ranks.

I have said several times that Stevo is the fittest I have seen him in about 3 years, but it is his inability to recover and use the ball that is beginning to become noticable.

I am so gung ho about getting some young guys into the team because we won't have guys like Stevo and Arch around for very long and the best way to learn is to play with them week in week out and learn the craft getting instruction from these guys during the game. A lot of the times the guys don't get the chance to work their way into a game or correct mistakes made on the ground.

These guys can tell them what to do during the week, but only on the ground during the heat of the battle will it really sink in. And I am bloody sure that Stevo and Kingy will get great satifaction from seeing these kids rise up knowing the club is in good hands.

Guys might have to retire even if they are performing ok at the end of the year. But, Stevo and Archer are not guys we can ask to retire. They are not just footballers these blokes, they are the footy club.

King and Rocca will not play next year IMO, Arch and Stevo will play on. Archer is one bloke who may pull the pin himself, but if his body is even close to ok I would ask him to stay. Urch will be a permanent member of the backline next year, and so will Trotter. 15 or so games in the back half with Arch by their side would accelerate their devlopment immensly IMO. Grima playing footy with Stevo the same.

I understand the need for pumping experience into guys who are going to have to carry the club when they go, but these two are hugely important not even considering their on-field ability.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Guys might have to retire even if they are performing ok at the end of the year. But, Stevo and Archer are not guys we can ask to retire. They are not just footballers these blokes, they are the footy club.

King and Rocca will not play next year IMO, Arch and Stevo will play on. Archer is one bloke who may pull the pin himself, but if his body is even close to ok I would ask him to stay. Urch will be a permanent member of the backline next year, and so will Trotter. 15 or so games in the back half with Arch by their side would accelerate their devlopment immensly IMO. Grima playing footy with Stevo the same.

I understand the need for pumping experience into guys who are going to have to carry the club when they go, but these two are hugely important not even considering their on-field ability.

I have to agree, Stevo and Arch are vital cogs in the North Melbourne footy team. We should'nt just cast them aside 'cause "they're getting on a bit".
I'm happy to see youth, but not at the expense of quality players who still have something to offer.

I'd prefer consistency to flashes of brilliance any day. There are plenty of players who are performing below these two ATM.

I think Ashcroft, Lynch, Hart and Voss and White (because they're a bit long in the tooth as well) should all have retired three years ago. Moti, if the kids are good enough they will force their way into the team. At the moment they are not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally Posted by stevo10
I think Ashcroft, Lynch, Hart and Voss and White (because they're a bit long in the tooth as well) should all have retired three years ago. Moti, if the kids are good enough they will force their way into the team. At the moment they are not.

That's exactly the first thing which came to my mind too stevo10. I just don't see the rush. The longer the older wiser and tougher heads are around, for the kids' development, the better IMO.

It's great that we have such talent emerging, but I'd hate to see us be one of those galant losing teams week in week out, ala StKilda a couple of years ago, with our youngsters getting treated like tooth picks. When their bodies are bigger, ala the West Coast youngsters, and IF they're good enough to force their way in at any stage, then I'd love to see them play in the 1's........................but only then.............Arch will make his own decision in his own time, as will Stevo...................and they've earnt that right!

T'toes

Remove this Banner Ad

Tobin Brothers make good point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back