Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we have to be silly and pretend Barrass is top 5 at every club. He isn't and saying so doesn't change his value? Bizarre.

Agree. Barrass will be the best or second best KPD at every club. Either a club is in serious need of a great KPD or they now have two giving them a distinct advantage.

His value is based on that, not his pecking order across the entire list.

He would be in the top 5 talls at close to every club.

He would be best 22 at every club.
Top 5 talls at a club? He’s top 5 KPDs in the league along with Andrews, Weitering, Gov and Taylor. He’ll be transformative if he gets to the Hawks, they’ll be devastating next year if they get Barrass and Battle and free up Weddle and Sicily to push up the ground. They’ll be a KPF away from having a team that can push top 4.

What is pretty funny about Harry Edwards is he is relatively unknown and oppo fans say "who" when he is brought up in discussions.

Mentioned him in the Baker trade thread and was mauled by Tigers fans.

Now he is unlocking trade week?

Fancy that.

What is pretty funny about Harry Edwards is he is relatively unknown and oppo fans say "who" when he is brought up in discussions.

Mentioned him in the Baker trade thread and was mauled by Tigers fans.

Now he is unlocking trade week?

Fancy that.
Sounds like Hawthorn and WC are closer on a deal than WC and Rich. You guys won't release Barrass unless Edwards stays. Barrass trade has the potential to open up the Baker one.

It makes sense when you think about it but yeah very surprising headline.

Sounds like Hawthorn and WC are closer on a deal than WC and Rich. You guys won't release Barrass unless Edwards stays. Barrass trade has the potential to open up the Baker one.

It makes sense when you think about it but yeah very surprising headline.
Pretty much. There's no way in hell WCE give up both Barras and Edwards with McGovern only a year or 2 left.

That’s really not saying much at all. Many players are better than McKay.
Your team was after him last year.Dons payed a lot of money and Kangaroos got a inflated pick for him.
Barrass is a lot better and worth the same?
Compare apples with apples he is better than most teams kpd and that's why we have so many teams from the last two years looking at him.

Your team was after him last year.Dons payed a lot of money and Kangaroos got a inflated pick for him.
Compare apples with apples he is better than most teams kpd and that's why we have so many teams from the last two years looking at him.
McKay cost nothing in draft picks and even then myself and a lot of other supporters were happy to miss out on him. No one would be trading a good pick for him.

With Barrass it’s not his ability people are questioning.

You can't compare a free agent to a trade. Mckay would not have gotten a pick that high in a trade and almost certainly wouldn't have gotten that pay day if he wasn't a free agent. That is a big part of where his value came from.

Sydney- Warner, Heeney, Papley, Gulden and Blakey.

Lions- Neale, Dunkley, Daniher, McLuggage and Andrews.

Freo- Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Jackson and Treacy

Port- Butters, Rozee, Wines, JHF and Houston

Cats- Cameron, Holmes, Stewart, Stengle and Danger.

Giants- Hogan, Kelly, Green, Whitfield and Greene.

Need I go on? There’s also more names better than Barrass at all of those clubs that I haven’t listed.
He’s better than Papley

Lions I agree with although Dunkley would be close.

Freo he’s better than Brayshaw and Jackson.

Port he’s far better than Wines, who has been mediocre since his Brownlow year.

Giants I would agree with.

Some serious underrating of Barrass going on in this thread, guys like Papley and Wines haven’t been AA quality for years.

He’s better than Papley

Lions I agree with although Dunkley would be close.

Freo he’s better than Brayshaw and Jackson.

Port he’s far better than Wines, who has been mediocre since his Brownlow year.

Giants I would agree with.

Some serious underrating of Barrass going on in this thread, guys like Papley and Wines haven’t been AA quality for years.
As opposed to the guy that has never been AA quality if that is criteria you want to set?

Barrass has very clearly been AA quality the last two years, Wines wouldn’t be in the top 150 players over that time period.
I was more referencing parley then wines (I agree he is much better)

But you talk about him clearly being better than Brayshaw and Papley who have made AA teams and squads. Barra as has never made the team and made the squad once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was more referencing parley then wines (I agree he is much better)

But you talk about him clearly being better than Brayshaw and Papley who have made AA teams and squads. Barra as has never made the team and made the squad once.
Papley last made the squad in 2021, Brayshaw could be just my personal view but for mine he’s a bit of an ineffective statpadder regardless I think at this stage he’s still better than Jackson.

Reckon Barrass was very stiff to not make the team last year, every chance to make the squad this year as well.

I agree Papley was the one that made me lift the eyebrows.

Regarding port though is he clearly better than Aliir, or are they about the same based off the last few years.
He is 100% better than Aliir, think opposition fans might not appreciate just how good Barrass is if they think him being a top 5 player for each team is an outrageous call.

Papley last made the squad in 2021, Brayshaw could be just my personal view but for mine he’s a bit of an ineffective statpadder regardless I think at this stage he’s still better than Jackson.

Reckon Barrass was very stiff to not make the team last year, every chance to make the squad this year as well.

He is 100% better than Aliir, think opposition fans might not appreciate just how good Barrass is if they think him being a top 5 player for each team is an outrageous call.
No Papley made the team in 2021 but also made the squad in 2022.

Brayshaw is a MVP winner, All Australian and a Best and fairest winner. You can not rate him if you like but but clearly most others do.

Is it possible you overrate him a tad, Aliir has been very close to AA squads the past few years and made the team in 21.

No Papley made the team in 2021 but also made the squad in 2022.

Brayshaw is a MVP winner, All Australian and a Best and fairest winner. You can not rate him if you like but but clearly most others do.
Yeah if it was based on 2022 they’d be ahead. The last two years Barrass has been better.
Is it possible you overrate him a tad, Aliir has been very close to AA squads the past few years and made the team in 21.
Aliir in 21 was very good, reckon he’s had a pretty large drop off since then though don’t you think?

Yeah if it was based on 2022 they’d be ahead. The last two years Barrass has been better.

Aliir in 21 was very good, reckon he’s had a pretty large drop off since then though don’t you think?
He played 14 games last year... Brayshaw played 23 and finished 2nd in his clubs B&F i don't think he has been better for the past 2 years.

Not at all was mentioned many time last year and in 22 in the main board thread by Port fans. Exaggerating it by saying very large drop off only shows you may not watch enough of other teams.

Re value, If I was having a guess I normally have a look at previous trades for similar players but it's hard with this one.

Not alot of similar players, closest would be May but he was 26 when he was traded and went for pick 6. Barrass will be 3 years older by the time he is at his new club so will be worth less than that. On the other side there are a number of lesser named KPDs that have been traded for 2nds or lower the past few seasons, would likely be more than that.

For me regarding Hawthorn it isn't the price that I'm concerned about but the actual decision to top up at all at this stage of rebuilding.

Scenario really is at say 12 or so clubs he would be the teams number 1 tall defender (Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Suns, Hawks, North, Port, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, Doggies) and then maybe Freo too and at Eagles he is number 2 (McGovern better)

Thats really where the value lies as opposed to comparing him to Tom Papley

Scenario really is at say 12 or so clubs he would be the teams number 1 tall defender (Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Suns, Hawks, North, Port, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, Doggies) and then maybe Freo too and at Eagles he is number 2 (McGovern better)

Thats really where the value lies as opposed to comparing him to Tom Papley
Whilst Darcy Moore is having a down year I'd still prefer him. Would prefer De Koning at Geelong aswell if he moves back to defence. Port I prefer Aliir, Dogs I prefer Jones although aging.
I'd also say he is better then McGovern now given he can barely string games together.

The thing is clubs aren't bringing him in To be their number 1 guy, teams would be viewing him as the final piece to sure up a defence for a premiership tilt.

I don't think whether he will be the best, second or third has any baring on his trade value apart from wether clubs are willing to pay it or not. If a club want him for whatever role they will need to satisfy the Eagles and get atleast close to the asking price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back