Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Re value, If I was having a guess I normally have a look at previous trades for similar players but it's hard with this one.

Not alot of similar players, closest would be May but he was 26 when he was traded and went for pick 6. Barrass will be 3 years older by the time he is at his new club so will be worth less than that. On the other side there are a number of lesser named KPDs that have been traded for 2nds or lower the past few seasons, would likely be more than that.

For me regarding Hawthorn it isn't the price that I'm concerned about but the actual decision to top up at all at this stage of rebuilding.
Your first, assuming you just miss finals is slight overs given his age, the 2nd or 3rd round on top is the "significant" overs required to get it done in contract for 3 years. Anything more is just too expensive to justify IMO.

Like Freo and Bolton, the selling team sees value in letting the player go or its not even a discussion so it's always a bit bias when the other side tries to say "pay overs to put you in contetion" as if Hawks are the only thing getting something out of the trade. WC want the picks or wouldn't be having the discussion.

Whilst Darcy Moore is having a down year I'd still prefer him. Would prefer De Koning at Geelong aswell if he moves back to defence. Port I prefer Aliir, Dogs I prefer Jones although aging.
I'd also say he is better then McGovern now given he can barely string games together.

The thing is clubs aren't bringing him in To be their number 1 guy, teams would be viewing him as the final piece to sure up a defence for a premiership tilt.

I don't think whether he will be the best, second or third has any baring on his trade value apart from whether clubs are willing to pay it or not. If a club want him for whatever role they will need to satisfy the Eagles and get atleast close to the asking price.
**** these are some poor takes.

McGovern is probably the AA full back right now and you’re saying De Koning, Jones and Aliir are better than him?

**** these are some poor takes.

McGovern is probably the AA full back right now and you’re saying De Koning, Jones and Aliir are better than him?
I said Barrass would be better then McGovern, I don't know how many games McGovern has left in him.
The rest i was giving my preference for in terms of next year regarding Barrass not McGovern id be suprised if McGovern plays more then 12-15 games next year. I also don't think McGovern will be in the AA team however he will be in the squad.
You're entitled to your opinion, but those are mine.

Sydney- Warner, Heeney, Papley, Gulden and Blakey.

Lions- Neale, Dunkley, Daniher, McLuggage and Andrews.

Freo- Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Jackson and Treacy

Port- Butters, Rozee, Wines, JHF and Houston

Cats- Cameron, Holmes, Stewart, Stengle and Danger.

Giants- Hogan, Kelly, Green, Whitfield and Greene.

Need I go on? There’s also more names better than Barrass at all of those clubs that I haven’t listed.
I could pick at least 1 player in each of those lists that Barrass is better than right now

Neale, Mccluggage, Andrews, Zorko, Daniher

Gulden, Heeney, Warner, Grundy, Papley, Mills. 5 of those 6 would be close.
Barrass is a better player than Zorko or Daniher
Better than Papley, Mills has been very average the last couple of years

Some serious undervaluing ov Barrass in this thread.

All you guys have to say is you havent watched him play, the bloke is genuinely elite and doesnt get the recognition from the AFL as a whole because hes playing in WA in a currently weak team

I bet some of you guys actually think Tom Stewart has been a better player than McGovern too lmao

All you guys have to say is you havent watched him play, the bloke is genuinely elite and doesnt get the recognition from the AFL as a whole because hes playing in WA in a currently weak team

I bet some of you guys actually think Tom Stewart has been a better player than McGovern too lmao
You can’t just dismiss anyone with a different opinion as clearly not watching him play. He is one of the best key defenders in the league, almost no one is arguing that.

I can think he is without thinking he is the type of player that just propels a middle of the table team in to genuine flag contenders.

You can’t just dismiss anyone with a different opinion as clearly not watching him play. He is one of the best key defenders in the league, almost no one is arguing that.

I can think he is without thinking he is the type of player that just propels a middle of the table team in to genuine flag contenders.
So having acknowledged Barrass as being one of the best defenders in the comp, how could you say any of Papley, Jackson, Wines are currently better players?

So having acknowledged Barrass as being one of the best defenders in the comp, how could you say any of Papley, Jackson, Wines are currently better players?
I specifically was talking about Papley being a similar level and was mainly just using your criteria of AA selections. I never commented on any of those other 3 players

Would you agree that Barrass being a top 5 player in every team in the comp isn’t an outlandish statement?
Outlandish no, do I totally agree also no.

I think generally trying to split a lot of those guys the margins are generally really small. For example at my club I’d say trying to seperate Sicily, Moore, Day, Newcombe is pretty hard but that’s probably the top 4. After that who is 5th? Is it Worpel? Hardwick? Meek or D’Ambrosio who are just starting to break out. Also how much stock do you put in this years for, previous form and potential.

I think tiers work a lot easier than just straight rankings. He could sit in that 3-7 or 8 range on most good lists in my opinion.

Barrass is an absolute gun, and if he played for Collingwood he'd be in the paper every second day. Hidden over in Perth, fighting 60 inside 50's every week for the last three years.
WRT Hawthorn needs, he's number one by the length of the Flemington straight.
If Hawks get him, he will give them the capability of being a top 4 side in 2025. Pick 10, or whatever it ends up being, is an absolute bargain, and I'd expect the Weagles will want more than that.

Barrass is an absolute gun, and if he played for Collingwood he'd be in the paper every second day. Hidden over in Perth, fighting 60 inside 50's every week for the last three years.
If Hawks get him, he will give them the capability of being a top 4 side in 2025. Pick 10, or whatever it ends up being, is an absolute bargain, and I'd expect the Weagles will want more than that.
They can want what they like, but at 29 years of age he's not worth a top 10 pick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outlandish no, do I totally agree also no.

I think generally trying to split a lot of those guys the margins are generally really small. For example at my club I’d say trying to seperate Sicily, Moore, Day, Newcombe is pretty hard but that’s probably the top 4. After that who is 5th? Is it Worpel? Hardwick? Meek or D’Ambrosio who are just starting to break out. Also how much stock do you put in this years for, previous form and potential.

I think tiers work a lot easier than just straight rankings. He could sit in that 3-7 or 8 range on most good lists in my opinion.
You can name a heap players youd rather at the club, but in reality are they better than Barrass?

Its not the same thing. Barrass right now is better than most of the guys you listed, but I wouldnt choose Barrass to be on the eagles list if I could have Will Day or Dylan Moore instead

You can name a heap players youd rather at the club, but in reality are they better than Barrass?

Its not the same thing. Barrass right now is better than most of the guys you listed, but I wouldnt choose Barrass to be on the eagles list if I could have Will Day or Dylan Moore instead
I wasn't listing those guys as a comparison to Barrass, just showing that defining a clear top 5 can often be hard and almost a waste of time. I think the Hawks are a team where he would currently be top 5, not sure for how long but currently yes.

Teams like the Lions, Giants, Swans it gets a bit harder to get a clear cut top 5.

So he signs a new contract 2 years ago then goes to the Eagles last year and says I think I’m worth more so pay me or I’m off to the swans. They agree to pay him then there is a change and they don’t want to pay what was promised and are letting him talk to other clubs!
Sounds to me like he’s getting pushed out and Eagles fans might be disappointed in what they get for him ( if he leaves)

So he signs a new contract 2 years ago then goes to the Eagles last year and says I think I’m worth more so pay me or I’m off to the swans. They agree to pay him then there is a change and they don’t want to pay what was promised and are letting him talk to other clubs!
Sounds to me like he’s getting pushed out and Eagles fans might be disappointed in what they get for him ( if he leaves)
They wouldn't be 'pushing' him out if the trade wasn't worth it.

Be prepared to be disappointed in what your team gives up.

Well most of that is wrong.

He signed a extension on a handshake he would get an uplift. The uplift wasn't as much as expected. New management.

End of last season his management approached the Swans as they had previously been interested and were keen. Until it became clear he would struggle to pass a fitness test after a back injury in season. So he pulled out late and it didn't go any further.

This season he is chasing a two year extension to his current deal making it a 5 year deal on better money. Several clubs have come knocking with 5 year deals. Eagles are very wary as recent long term extensions for players entering their 30's has backfired and they have been burnt.

So here we are. They will let him go for the right deal. If not he stays.

Pretty much, seems to be how Barrass views it too:

“By the end of 2022 Barrass was not only a premiership player, but also a newly minted best and fairest. He knew what the Swans were prepared to offer if he decided to defect.

With that number in mind, Barrass sat down with senior West Coast officials to talk about his contract, against advice from his agent.

He didn't ask for the Eagles to match Sydney's number, but believed the club should restructure his deal to reflect his true value to the team.

To his delight, West Coast officials agreed. There was a verbal understanding that in time, he would receive a pay bump. Any prospect of joining Sydney ended there and then.

This salary increase arrived only in the last few months. Disappointingly for Barrass, it was so minor that it left the 2018 premiership player believing he is being pushed out in favour of multiple high end draft picks.”

Is it possible you overrate him a tad, Aliir has been very close to AA squads the past few years and made the team in 21.
Ben McKay has a better one on one contest career loss percentage than Barrass.
Barrass is at 27.5% which is worse than McKay 25.7%, Aliir 26.5%, Frost 26.4% and that before you get to Andrews 20.9%, Weitering 20.6%, McGovern 20%, Moore 18.1%

I understand your point but to use Tom Stewart as your example of a player that McGovern is better than is weird. Stewart is a dead set gun and I'm not sure if you watch footy if you can't compare his impact to McGovern.

I understand your point but to use Tom Stewart as your example of a player that McGovern is better than is weird. Stewart is a dead set gun and I'm not sure if you watch footy if you can't compare his impact to McGovern.
Its just an example, I know most people in Victoria dont watch the Eagles play.

Theyll rate your Freo boys the same way.

not true, lots of interest in the WA teams here in Victoria, both very watchable. Unlike St Kilda.
and no, Barrass is not under-rated, he's an absolute gun and personally somewhere around pick 10 is a bargain for the Hawks. WCE will ask for more, and I can see Sam caving in after lengthy negotiations. He will complete the Hawthorn picture for 2025, the Hawks will be a serious contender.

He’s a jet and you will love him (if he decides to go) will unlock Sicily and Weddle too.

Never doubt Sammy Mitchell, the man is the best coach in the league by a long way. Hawks will be humming next year (with some luck)

If the Eagles don’t get what they want for him in a trade he will get a renegotiated contract. Probably 4 years on a little better $$. But if he wants to go, the deal will get done. Makes so much sense for both sides.

not true, lots of interest in the WA teams here in Victoria, both very watchable. Unlike St Kilda.
and no, Barrass is not under-rated, he's an absolute gun and personally somewhere around pick 10 is a bargain for the Hawks. WCE will ask for more, and I can see Sam caving in after lengthy negotiations. He will complete the Hawthorn picture for 2025, the Hawks will be a serious contender.
Thoughts on Josh Ward? Can’t seem to hold down a spot? Pretty hard midfield to break into, Does he look elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back